Jeep Commander?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Well, it is time to rid of the mini van for the wife and looking for an SUV. What can anyone tell me of the commander... 2006-2007.. We are also looking into travel trailers and will be towing with it...Trailer will not be more than 5000 lbs.

Transmission, diffs, electrical, suspension and all that stuff. I have been reading about them but I wanted to hear some opinions from those who really know what they are talking about. Thanks for your input..

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Well, it is time to rid of the mini van for the wife and looking for an SUV. What can anyone tell me of the commander... 2006-2007.. We are also looking into travel trailers and will be towing with it...Trailer will not be more than 5000 lbs.

Transmission, diffs, electrical, suspension and all that stuff. I have been reading about them but I wanted to hear some opinions from those who really know what they are talking about. Thanks for your input..

Hit up the Commander Section back in the main menu area. There are people who own and drive theirs daily. They may have more knowledge. At least more than me.

avalanchejf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont even think about it! I test drove it and it has NO POWER AT ALL!! Also, to me, it was pretty uncomfortable.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've driven 4 or 5 of them...every engine.

LOVE them, love them as much as the LR3.

I'd recommend a 4.7. Plenty of grunt, plus you get 4 Low.

If it isn't going to tow of see severe off road, the 3.7 is good too. Had one for a week, kinda doggy above treeline though, but what isn't?

Now I will say, they are a bit cramped inside, about the same proportionally as the KJ.
The third row is useless.

A used LR3 believe it or not is about the same price as an XK, but more roomy.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just went and reread, since you'll be towing, 4.7.

A LR3 can tow more, but not my much.

As far as 4wd, they have 3 modes: AWD, 4 Low, and neutral.

I probably forgot something, but ask me anything.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I looked at the old threads, not much there. I would only get the 4.7, hemi would be too much for the wife:)

How about the ****** and electrical (ac, etc)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
****** is the 545RFE for the 4.7/5.7s.

The AC system is pretty potent IIRC, but when I had one in CO I usually had the heat on, pretty good. Seats were good for me.

Electrical, probably just like any other Jeep or LR, minor glitches here and there, but pretty reliable.

FWIW, the Limiteds have Rain sense wipers.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I just Looked at some LR3's, a bit more $$, need to stay below 20k and have some lower mileage. The mini van's lease is up in 2 months so we need to get going. I was also looking at the Durago's, seems they are not put together as well.

Thanks for the help all, I will start my search. For now, I like the Commander. Let's see what is out there.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Durangos are steps below an XK or LR3.

They can tow more, but that's the only redeeming thing. Keep us posted. Are you getting a 4x4?

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Not needed. That is what the KJ is for:)... Since this will be the grocery getter and kid hauler, The wife will "not allow" me to get my hands on it...Maybe I can just paint the rims or sneak on a nice rack for the top, for camping gear of course.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend it. That 3rd row is useless. It's a Grand Cherokee shaped like a box, with a few more pounds.

Reliable though.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Reliable...Always good to hear

Here is one.. 2007, 4x4 limited, Hemi, 60k miles...Asking $19k....Is $17k realistic

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you end up doing? Did you ever get the commander?
It is way down in price (brand new) nowadays.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
The lease on the wife's mini van is up in December, thought it was this month. I am looking at 3 SUV's..

Ford Expedition
Jeep commander
Nissan Armada

All 06 or 07... We will be pulling a good size camping trailer so I want to do it comfortably AND have alot of interior room. I just keep looking until the time is up.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lease on the wife's mini van is up in December, thought it was this month. I am looking at 3 SUV's..

Ford Expedition
Jeep commander
Nissan Armada

All 06 or 07... We will be pulling a good size camping trailer so I want to do it comfortably AND have alot of interior room. I just keep looking until the time is up.

Definitely a Commander!
Expedition are pretty nice too, a buddy has one and it tows easy and is comfy but I am biased to Jeeps :D
Armada... eh no thanks... Overpriced weak in the powerband and even worse MPGs then a 4.7 or Hemi, plus I do not like Nissans, haven't ever had a good experience with them.