2014 Cherokee Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Not what I would want (Love my Liberty), but kind of an interesting departure from the traditional Jeep. It's kind of like they took a Compass and added a tiny little bit of testosterone to it.

The video is a little surprising:

Quick Spin: 2014 Jeep Cherokee | Fox News

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I see of the new Cherokee, the less I dislike it.
Interested to finally see one in the flesh

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like all the other SUV's out there.
That's why I love the KJ, no other vehicle looks like it.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The more I see of the new Cherokee, the less I dislike it.
Interested to finally see one in the flesh
Same here. Sitting in the parking lot it looks like a station wagon. Going up a steep hill and you are reminded that there is at least a little Jeep in there somewhere. :icon_wink:

Looks like all the other SUV's out there.
That's why I love the KJ, no other vehicle looks like it.
My feelings exactly. :icon_biggrin:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen one yet.

Dave

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I saw my first one today ... and I can say something positive...

I hope my KJ lasts FOREVER... :happy175:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local dealership has two on the lot. They do look better in person, although there are a few styling "cues" that are a bit off.
I think it would look better with a grill/headlight arrangement moe similar to the GC or Compass. The frost was too think on the windows to see the interior, but from the pics I've seen the inside looks pretty good.

Interested to see the Trailhawk edition.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Did you get a good look at the rear? It looks like it's wearing a corset... :D Needs a mounted spare.

Just cover the whole rear end with a big over-sized tire and :waytogo:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another page in the evolution of my opinion of the new Cherokee (what is the letter designation?)

Stopped again to take a better look at the 2014s at the local dealer.

Frankly, I'm just kind of indifferent about the styling. I like it better than the Compass, but then I don't really like the compass either. I don't hate it, don't love it.

The long nose doesn't look like it has a very good approach angle.
The overall lines are a bit "goofy" but not really ugly.
Interior does look really nice.

It definitely is not a cool as the pristine, lifted, 1986 Wrangler parked a few yards away form it.:worthy:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still waiting to see one in person. I drive by the dealership in my wanderings about, and always look over to see if there's one there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Long live the XJ, the only Cherokee in my book!

Antiquated
If they built one today maybe they could improve the engine, drivetrain, ride/handling , seats, entry-exit,
Oh wait they have
after 3 XJs I'm happy not to drive another one
Back then ( sold my last one in 04) I thought I had to put up with the way it rode, etc You can have every XJ built, I won't fight you over them:cheers:

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha! Touché. I will clarify the only North American Cherokee in my book!

Actually NOT true!

The first came out in 1973 (model year 74) and was essentially a 2 door version of the Wagoneer with out all the frills.
I purchased one new in Wichita Falls Tx with TH400, Quadratrac, 2 speed xfer case, AMC 360 2bbl V8, gas tank skid plate and other odds and ends.
She made it to Alaska from Biloxi Ms in 83 and lasted till the body rusted away around me ( thank you Salty Mississippi!)
Had a 76 and 2 77s. All used, with TH400s, Quadratrac 2 speed xfer case and 360s , two of which were 4bbl. One was a Chief and the other an S.
They rest in peace as scrap some where but they were a blast off road.

I also had a 2.8L 84 XJ with auto, 2 speed xfer. It was OK but a bit of pain in the butt.

The KJ is in an 03 LE with dang near everything on it that was optional, The off road package was the deal closer for me. Its coming on 150K and 11 years.

Waiting on a KL to show up in Trail Hawk trim up here. Have yet to see one in person but like what I have seen and read about it. Have to try one on for size first, however!

To each there own!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that the most of the market asks for a vehicle that rides nice with fully independent suspension and BETTER fuel economy. Even most of us, enthusiasts who DO like to off road, are on road AT LEAST 80% of the time. That's what they're aiming for! Something that CAN do the small stuff off road, but is a fantastic on-road vehicle.

Oh and I don't mind the styling at all.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that the most of the market asks for a vehicle that rides nice with fully independent suspension and BETTER fuel economy. Even most of us, enthusiasts who DO like to off road, are on road AT LEAST 80% of the time. That's what they're aiming for! Something that CAN do the small stuff off road, but is a fantastic on-road vehicle.

Oh and I don't mind the styling at all.

IMO I have seen the styling in close encounters of the third kind

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

Latest posts

Members online