Headlight polish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meguiar's Headlight Correction kit. It definitely takes a bit of work. But it is well worth the $15 it cost me.

I didn't take "before" pictures. But my headlights looked about the same as my foglights. So this picture shows how well the kit worked.

Got the kit at O'Reilly. I'm sure it's available everywhere just like the rest of Meguiar's stuff.

*EDIT*
Just wanted to add that if I had to do it again I would probably go the extra mile and remove the grille first. It is pretty difficult to get the sanding pads all the way to the edge of the lenses with the grille in place. So I can see plenty of scuff marks around the perimeter of the lenses. I might also pull the lights off and lay them on a bench to make it easier to work and see what I'm doing. But since I'm not restoring a show car I wasn't too worried about absolute perfection. The lights are still many times better than they were. Just wanted to pass along these tips in case anybody else wanted to go the extra mile with their rig.

Attachments

• LibCleanHeadlight.jpg
    LibCleanHeadlight.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the grill comes off easily with just your bare hands. Nice job on the lights! :favorites13:

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the grill comes off easily with just your bare hands. Nice job on the lights! :favorites13:
Yeah, I just wasn't feeling that energetic. The scuff marks that are left are minimal anyhow.

I'm going to pull the foglights this weekend to clean them. That should be fun.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great I only have a little haze on the lens do you think this could be beneficial

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great I only have a little haze on the lens do you think this could be beneficial
This kit could make them crystal clear if you put in a little more effort than I did. I took shortcuts because I wasn't worried about perfection. If you get the grille out of the way and use a light to see where you have or have not sanded then I see no reason this kit can't make your lights look brand new.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This kit could make them crystal clear if you put in a little more effort than I did. I took shortcuts because I wasn't worried about perfection. If you get the grille out of the way and use a light to see where you have or have not sanded then I see no reason this kit can't make your lights look brand new.

Thanks I will be trying this soon the whole lens comes out once you have the grille of so that's the way i am going just pop the lens off and bring it inside to my work bench

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wasn't sure if it would only help if they were bad in my case I'm aiming for perfection cause they are fine to most people now just a little haze doesn't bother most people like it bothers me I considered just get lenses but I can't find just the lens hope this works for me

carid

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Brasso and a little bit of elbow grease works just as well, FYI. And that only costs a few bucks. ;)

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wasn't sure if it would only help if they were bad in my case I'm aiming for perfection cause they are fine to most people now just a little haze doesn't bother most people like it bothers me I considered just get lenses but I can't find just the lens hope this works for me
There are spots on mine that are perfect. So I know the kit can do it. The reason mine aren't completely perfect is because it is extremely difficult to work both horizontally and vertically with the lights still on the rig. If you pull the lenses like you plan to do then perfection is a simple matter.

Wow, those headlights look so clean, great job! Since you headlights are that clean, it might be a good idea to add some protection on them. Have you ever thought about the headlight protection kit? It will keep that super clean just washed look on your headlight and protect them from scratches and discoloration. Follow the link to see more details: XPEL® - Jeep Liberty 2002-2004 Headlight, Fog Light and Signal Light Protection Kit
The kit came with some sort of wipe-on protectant. That's sufficient for me for now. I'm not so concerned about the rig that I'm worried about the lights getting yellow again in five years.

Brasso and a little bit of elbow grease works just as well, FYI. And that only costs a few bucks. ;)
Now you tell me. But this kit was only $15. So I'm not really out much.

carid

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
For those who want to try another option then Meguiar's Headlight Correction kit, I also suggest Rain-X Headlight Restoration kit: Rain-X® 800001809 - Headlight Restoration Kit It cost $12.99 and does a great job! With this kit you will be able to remove haze and discoloration from headlight lenses, and restore headlight brightness. Has any of you tried it already?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The headlights look great, if they looked like your fogs do now. Quite a remarkable difference.

I've also seen Wipe-New being used for this, as it is advertised to do so. It has very similar effects and seems to work just like it is portrayed.

I have only a small amount of hazing at the top of my headlights; I had heard that Crest pro-health toothpaste and water works wonders for lightly hazed or discolored headlight lenses.

I'll have to try it when it's not between 0 and 10 degrees outside.

karljp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using kits is good but the effect won't last long. The best way is to wetsand the headlights, polish and apply some sort of clear coat to protect the headlights form discoloration.