Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > General Forums > Product Reviews

Register to remove these ads.

Product Reviews

Harbor Freight Tools

This is a discussion on Harbor Freight Tools within the Product Reviews forums, part of the General Forums category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper What about the new dual pawl 90 tooth SK ...

Members posting about products they have used with their Liberty.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper View Post
What about the new dual pawl 90 tooth SK ratchets? I've been thinking about getting one. I'm a fan of SK stuff for some reason.
Not as smooth or strong as the Snap On 80 tooth.

I have there 17" 3/8" drive 80 tooth and bent the bar 15 degrees and did not break the internals.That was my full weight(210lbs) jumping up and down on it with a 4' cheater pipe on the end.

The Snap On guy's face was priceless when I handed it to him for warranty,he still has it on his truck to show how strong it is.
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
I bought a 14" chain saw at HF on sale for $40. Has done a good job so far. If I anticipated having lots of wood to cut on a regular basis I would have gotten a better one, but for what I'm doing I think this was a good deal.
$40.00!!!! I don't understand how they can produce something with an engine/motor in it at that price. And ship it across the ocean. And make a profit.

A chainsaw is one tool I wouldn't buy from HF. There's enough danger to chainsaws and tree work.

I like my 18" Husquevarna 350 a little better than my 18" Stihl 250. Gave up on Homelite long ago. Saved a 14" Craftsman/(Poulon) out of a friend's truck on its' way to the dump. No safety features on it at all. Cleaned the sawdust out of the cooling fins and cleaned it up. Works great up in a tree and handy to have on a snowmachine.
turblediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Originally Posted by turblediesel View Post
$40.00!!!! I don't understand how they can produce something with an engine/motor in it at that price. And ship it across the ocean. And make a profit.

A chainsaw is one tool I wouldn't buy from HF. There's enough danger to chainsaws and tree work.

I like my 18" Husquevarna 350 a little better than my 18" Stihl 250. Gave up on Homelite long ago. Saved a 14" Craftsman/(Poulon) out of a friend's truck on its' way to the dump. No safety features on it at all. Cleaned the sawdust out of the cooling fins and cleaned it up. Works great up in a tree and handy to have on a snowmachine.
Want to buy a 9.4hp engine for your chainsaw? Will spin up to 20,000rpm's(about 8000rpm's more then any chainsaw engine can).
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #24 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Want to buy a 9.4hp engine for your chainsaw? Will spin up to 20,000rpm's(about 8000rpm's more then any chainsaw engine can).
I'm not beast enough for that.
turblediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

Originally Posted by turblediesel View Post
$40.00!!!! I don't understand how they can produce something with an engine/motor in it at that price. And ship it across the ocean. And make a profit...
Regular price was $50. But, yeah...

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch-electric-chain-saw-67255.html

I have a bunch of small trees (maybe 4-6" diameter trunks) that someone chopped down and stacked in the back of the yard. I got tired of sawing them with a bow saw. Once they are done I will probably not use it very often. I did cut some 12" diameter logs (very carefully and slowly) and it did surprisingly well.
02redKJ and turblediesel like this.

927/948 OME Springs|||Bilstein Shocks|||JBA Upper Control Arms|||General Grabber AT2 255-70-16|||Rage Black Widow Roof Rack|||Viper 3606V Alarm System
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #26 (permalink)

I relocated to Canada and they do not have Harbor Freight here.

Needless to say there has been several occasions where my first thought was " " Harbor Freight has it and it is only xx$. The last time I thought about H.F when I needed a vacuum pump for the ac. I ended up going the A/C compressor option to fabricate one out of a window unit.

If one lived close to the border they could make $ assuming there was a H.F near the U.S side.
justjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:31 AM   #27 (permalink)

Just to follow up on my $40 HF electric chain saw, the proof is here:

(Itchy Beagle added for scale.)

The previous owner had cut down several trees and left 6' logs piled here and there. I figure I would have had to pay someone $40 to come over and clean this stuff up, so anything I get out of the chainsaw from here on out is a bonus.
JasonJ and turblediesel like this.

927/948 OME Springs|||Bilstein Shocks|||JBA Upper Control Arms|||General Grabber AT2 255-70-16|||Rage Black Widow Roof Rack|||Viper 3606V Alarm System
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #28 (permalink)

I like the LED lights with the magnet on the back- they stick well to the frame when working under the Jeep. Plus, you can usually get one free with a purchase of anything else.

I have a couple of pry bars, lots of tarps, shop towels, measuring tapes and a set or two of the cheap free screwdrivers. I did get a couple of heavy-duty breaker bars that I keep in my Jeep and the wife's car for changing tires in an emergency. The sad part is that the sockets that are on them are probably worth more than the breaker bars.

I inherited a lot of tools from my grandfather- he used to work for Bethlehem Steel in New York back in the 50's to 80's- so they are all high quality items. I doubt that I would trust anything serious to HF tools.
BillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #29 (permalink)

As a professional grease monkey I've always bought SnapOn and Matco. In the past few years I've figured out I probably ain't gonna do this for too many more years (plan to work hands on till I can not) but at 63 "lifetime" ain't as long as it used to be.

The lower quality warranted stuff from O'Reilley holds up well. I've even tried some Kobalt from Lowes with surprisingly good results. I'll NEVER buy a hand wrench from HF!

A local town has a HF just recently and I had to check it out. From my one walk through it seemed the bargain stuff was junk, the non junk stuff wasn't a bargain.