Rear tailgate glass self opens !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neil

Reaction score
When my 2004 is unlocked it decides at random when it wants to open ther rear tailgate glass. If I lock the doors it doesnt do it, but not an answer...
I can hear nthe electric switch activating in the tailgate, sometimes every hour or 2 or sometimes every second or 2. Anyone come across this before.
I was wondering if some damp has got into the electric contacts..
Will lube them up to see if that helps..

Reaction score
i think they had a recall for it a few years ago. i have run into that issue on a few different occasions

Neil

Reaction score
i think they had a recall for it a few years ago. i have run into that issue on a few different occasions

I have tried a search but with no success.
Any idea what they changed on the recall?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of this. You sure it's opening by itself, like you can set your keys down (not in your pocket) and there's no other fob and it just opens by itself?!

I know that when my daughter used to play with my keys in the house, I'd come out the next morning and the tailglass was up-- but I totally attributed that to tiny hands.

Also, keys in my pocket will sometimes open the glass up if the button gets pressed inside the pocket by other objects.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
well my lock thang will only open up if i hit the button on the key but if i pull the handle it opens the window and al but the lock thing locks back..any ideas? sorry to threadjacked.gif

Neil

Reaction score
Never heard of this. You sure it's opening by itself, like you can set your keys down (not in your pocket) and there's no other fob and it just opens by itself?!

I know that when my daughter used to play with my keys in the house, I'd come out the next morning and the tailglass was up-- but I totally attributed that to tiny hands.

Also, keys in my pocket will sometimes open the glass up if the button gets pressed inside the pocket by other objects.

I did think that when it first happened. So when it had a phase of constantly doing it, I took the battery out of my remote and it still did it!
I only have one fob.
I have found some info about a recall for this issue, so I will have to check with the dealer.

Jeepville

Reaction score
Hi Neil

Any luck with your liftgate? Mine started doing that today. The only way to keep it closed is to lock the doors.

Thanks

Chris9296

Reaction score
I also have an 04 sport and have experienced this problem a few times and would like to know if there is a recall or a fix for it. Seems to be a random type thing. When it first happened to me I thought that the battery was going, so I had a friend at a shop check the battery, charging system and starter draw and all was good. Hasn't done it lately(fingers crossed) but would definately like to know a little more about it.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our '06 did this about a week ago. At some point in the middle of the night the rear glass decided to open, which was freakin' nice because it rained all night!

Midgear

Reaction score
something tells me that this is related to the keyhole sensor in the rear gate that tells it weather the key is trying to open it or not.. I know my gate wont unlock with the key, but it WILL lock, my sensor is messed up. It doesn't open at random though.. yet.

I reckon this little sensor messes up, gets jammed, falls apart, whatever- and causes the "open" mechanic to trigger, thus opening the glass.

replace that little mechanism where the key is inserted and I'll wadger that the issue stops.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, if you look at a factory service manual there is a light green/white wire that, when put to ground, pops the rear flip glass. This wire is put to ground whenever you pull on the swing gate handle.

It's my guess that this wire is being shorted out to ground.

Search the FSM for "P101 20OR/PK" or "FLIP-UP GLASS RELEASE SWITCH SENSE"

Last edited:

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. We took our '06 in for this issue and the flip-up glass release switch was corrodid and cracked. Everytime it got wet it shorted out and pop the flip glass. It was a $3 part.

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a co worker of mine was telling me about the same issue he had with his, it actually was the relay that controlled the rear hatch, give that a look, it may be a real cheap fix for you...

jerome

Reaction score
rear window

i have the same problem just like you still have not found the problem might it just be a bad connection

nlocascio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 opens on its own too, but it's much weirder than most. Only happens when i plug in my code reader to the obd2 port.!? Also it will not open with the key. How hard is it to change the part?