Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > General Forums > Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls

Register to remove these ads.

Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls

Rear tailgate glass self opens !!

This is a discussion on Rear tailgate glass self opens !! within the Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls forums, part of the General Forums category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! When my 2004 is unlocked it decides at random when it wants to ...

Service bulletins from the factory.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rear tailgate glass self opens !!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
When my 2004 is unlocked it decides at random when it wants to open ther rear tailgate glass. If I lock the doors it doesnt do it, but not an answer...
I can hear nthe electric switch activating in the tailgate, sometimes every hour or 2 or sometimes every second or 2. Anyone come across this before.
I was wondering if some damp has got into the electric contacts..
Will lube them up to see if that helps..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ms5490renegade

i think they had a recall for it a few years ago. i have run into that issue on a few different occasions
ms5490renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by ms5490renegade View Post
i think they had a recall for it a few years ago. i have run into that issue on a few different occasions
I have tried a search but with no success.
Any idea what they changed on the recall?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Never heard of this. You sure it's opening by itself, like you can set your keys down (not in your pocket) and there's no other fob and it just opens by itself?!

I know that when my daughter used to play with my keys in the house, I'd come out the next morning and the tailglass was up-- but I totally attributed that to tiny hands.

Also, keys in my pocket will sometimes open the glass up if the button gets pressed inside the pocket by other objects.
Yokohama Geolandar AT/S 235/70/R16
Electronics: Garmin nuVi 265t GPS/ScanGauge II/Cobra 1500 watt (3000 peak) Inverter
Mileage trend:

I'm doing God's work...because he's too f*@$%ing lazy to do it himself.
jnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

well my lock thang will only open up if i hit the button on the key but if i pull the handle it opens the window and al but the lock thing locks back..any ideas? sorry to
jharrisliberty likes this.
mag03kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by jnaut View Post
Never heard of this. You sure it's opening by itself, like you can set your keys down (not in your pocket) and there's no other fob and it just opens by itself?!

I know that when my daughter used to play with my keys in the house, I'd come out the next morning and the tailglass was up-- but I totally attributed that to tiny hands.

Also, keys in my pocket will sometimes open the glass up if the button gets pressed inside the pocket by other objects.
I did think that when it first happened. So when it had a phase of constantly doing it, I took the battery out of my remote and it still did it!
I only have one fob.
I have found some info about a recall for this issue, so I will have to check with the dealer.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi Neil

Any luck with your liftgate? Mine started doing that today. The only way to keep it closed is to lock the doors.

Thanks
Jeepville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

I also have an 04 sport and have experienced this problem a few times and would like to know if there is a recall or a fix for it. Seems to be a random type thing. When it first happened to me I thought that the battery was going, so I had a friend at a shop check the battery, charging system and starter draw and all was good. Hasn't done it lately(fingers crossed) but would definately like to know a little more about it.
Chris9296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Our '06 did this about a week ago. At some point in the middle of the night the rear glass decided to open, which was freakin' nice because it rained all night!

'09 Dodge Avenger
ShafferNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
something tells me that this is related to the keyhole sensor in the rear gate that tells it weather the key is trying to open it or not.. I know my gate wont unlock with the key, but it WILL lock, my sensor is messed up. It doesn't open at random though.. yet.

I reckon this little sensor messes up, gets jammed, falls apart, whatever- and causes the "open" mechanic to trigger, thus opening the glass.

replace that little mechanism where the key is inserted and I'll wadger that the issue stops.
Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote