New radiator cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Littlered

Reaction score
Three week ago I replace the radiator cap on my 02 jeep liberty, which lead to a few problems with coolant system, replace the cap cause a patch on coolant tank to blow out (around hose on top) which intern cause antifreeze to flow on to #4 & 6 plugs ( coil pack) cause it to misfire n run like crap, pull coil pack and plugs, and found silicone around the base of coil, figure since I had it apart I my as well put new plugs in, after pulling all six of the plugs I found I had 4 out 6 different type pugs replace them with the NGK (ZFR6F-11G) and New O-rings on coil packs. Install the new coolant tank and may sure all was good, but as I was filling the tank, started it up and the top hose blew off, (platic tank inlet brook off)now New radiiator n hoses and t-stat ( awaiting for them to arrive) so I went from $6.00 to $300.00 repair because of the owner before never took time to do maintence on it, my question out of all this is can I use Peak long life antifreeze 50/50mixed in it since it almost bone dry now?????

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't think peak makes HOAT.
you need HOAT coolant. Zerex G-05 is one example.

If you dont know what was in previously either, i would suggest flushing the system.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, HOAT ONLY as said or you will trash the engine. NAPA has it for sure if there's one near you.

Dave

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plugs are Allen head plugs, there are located around the middle frost plug on each side of the engine. Just a FYI you need to move the starter out of the way to get to the drivers side drain plug.

Littlered

Reaction score
Just thought I update you , got all put back togther, I believe who ever had the Jeep before me ran what ever in it, reason I say this is because inside the hoses an t-stat housing was a white thick power, got it all together with all New coolant , hoses , t-stat and recovery tank and New plugs, runs better then before

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Why the HECK on the coolant tank did they not stamp HOAT Coolant Only, or even on the cap!
:icon_idea:A large sticker visible around coolant tank may prevent the wrong coolant from being added.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judging by how often the wrong coolant is put in these things I think the whole underhood insulation pad should have it in giant bold letters..

Yeah, but it is mostly the false advertising where it says "mixes with everything" on the jugs of Prestone stuff. People are mis-led into using that stuff and it trashes your cooling system, gaskets, etc. Many Fords and Jeeps use HOAT only.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup ..X2 ^^
58017[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe I could make some $ selling stickers! :gr_grin:
58019[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Hoat%20Zerex%20G05_1.jpg