Survival Kit List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This all depends on the room you have, time of year, and where you are going, but here is a basic list of supplies. Parts are additional of course!
If you have something to add, PM me and I'll add it to this master list.

SURVIVAL KIT LIST:
Tire Repair Kit (and extra valve)
Tire Gauge
Bicycle Pump (or plug in compressor)
Tow Strap (without metal hook)
Winch
Hi Lift Jack
Radiator Repair Kit (stop leak fluid and rad-patch compound)
Fire Extinguisher
Fuel Siphon Tube
Block of Wood
Duct and/or Electrical Tape
Plastic Ties
Hose Clamps
Socket Set
Screw Drivers
Torx Keys
Open Wrenches
Tool Kit
Fuses
Flash Light (with extra batteries)
Pocket and/or Hunting Knife
Jumper Cable
Quart of Oil
Collapsible Full Size Shovel
Compass
Ice Scraper
Lighter
Candle
Flares
Whistle
Rope
Rags/ Towels
Garbage Bags (and empty plastic tank to carry out used fluids)
Bright Plastic Tarp
Rain Slicker
Rubber Boots
Work Gloves
Hat
Hand Wipes
Blanket/ Heat Blanket
Sleeping Bag
TP
First Aid Kit (with gloves)
Sun Glasses
Cell Phone
CB
GPS and/or Area Maps
Notebook (with pen)
Camera
Cigars
Gun/ Ammo
Bible
Snacks/ Food
Water

And inform people who are not going of your trip details (destination, scheduled return, planned route, etc.) #-o

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the wish list for the "I Shouldn't Be Alive" special on Discovery Channel where a couple and their new baby took a shortcut on some secondary roads in a blizzard and when the snow stopped they found themselves in the middle of wide-open-space with snow and no roads to be seen.

Not sure what the cigars are for, but the rest make a good "If I get stuck out here for a long time, what will I wish I had with me?" list.

I should really get a first aid kit for the car, I've been lucky so far to not need one, but as they say, it's better to have and not need...

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say the gun is for anyone that wants to take advantage of your situation, and the cigars are for you to enjoy when you are driving (or walking) out of the woods. (biggrin)

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most importantly add to the list,,, another 4x4 to help if u get stuck =)

then...would add that pull pal thing to the list for the winch when you get stuck in a field =)

and maybe a pully block do-hicky to double your pulling strength from the winch. not sure what they are called so it may be in your list already.

personaly i carry gun/ammo everywhere i go so thats a given.

ooh ooh and the hair spray for if your tire breaks a bead and needs to be flashed on again =)

=0

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, are flares safe to leave in a vehicle when it is 100+ degrees outside? I would like to get those and some of those glo-sticks to give me some other options in case my Surefire flashlight runs out of batteries.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap were's this survival kit for? a road trip through Iraq!!. I can cut your list down to a cellphone(contact breakdown services or police ect) and some smokes (to smoke whilst watching some greasy mechanic fixing your ride in the snow).

Pablo

Reaction score
Holy crap were's this survival kit for? a road trip through Iraq!!. I can cut your list down to a cellphone(contact breakdown services or police ect) and some smokes (to smoke whilst watching some greasy mechanic fixing your ride in the snow).

Well its under "serious offroad trips, trail rides and meets"... so my guess its for the country where your cell phone don't work, and where even if it did, no one could get to you in a short amount of time.

There was a software guy from Cali a few years ago who went to Oregon with his wife and kids on a road trip, he had a similar philosophy. Unfortunately, his GPS told him to make a turn onto a closed road. He wrecked the car in the snow berm, getting stuck on a road in the middle of nowhere. His cell phone did not have reception. After several days of waiting for help, he took off without a compass (GPS in car) to try and find help. He was found dead a half mile from a lodge fully stocked with food, water, and firewood. He had been going in circles around it.

Last edited:

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would add Heavy Winter Jacket, Boots, and Snow Pants. I always make sure I have some stored in every vehicle during winter because when its -10F and you vehicle wont go anymore, these are the first things you need.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good list. I always carry "stuff". I broke down once in the winter. Adapt it to the seasons and to your area.

I always have my cell phone with me but there is no cell service in the mountains north of here between Warrensburgh and Plattsburgh (about 150 mile stretch) so it's no good there.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I scanned the list,no reason to just bring 1 qt of oil,better bring the full 5qts needed for the engine or leave the 1qt a home.If your going to carry spare fluids always carry enough to completly refill the certian componet from empty to full,engine=5qts,******(drain and refill)+t-case=at least 8qts,diffs=4qts,and depending on the terrain you can mostly skip any coolant if you have a water source within walking distance.I have never been offroad where if you bust something that it only leaks out 1 qt,it always leaks every drop of fluid.Then again if you loose any engine oil or ******/t-case your most likely going to be towed anyway(except rollovers).Just my 2 cents.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have missed it on the list, but I would also add physical maps (preferably road and topo) to the list. GPS is not invincible and there is also the possibility of operator error. Also, I have used my atlas on nearly every run to find my way home from the end of the trail back to civilization.

t_bois

Reaction score
So were's the wife going to sit, or is that the plan?

Nice list, but it sounds more like my list I used for hunting.

I would also take:

some baby wipes (if that isn't what you meant by hand wipes)
sunblock
dental floss & toothbrush
something to cut wood with
something to boil water in (a large coffee can works and can be used to organize some of the small stuff)
fishing line and a few hooks
sewing kit
roll of cord
diarrhea pills (you drink or eat the wrong stuff and these babies are a god sent!)
aspirin and any meds you need daily or for certain medical conditions
(I always keep a few days worth in my vehicle anyway)
eye drops/wash
extra glasses (for those of us who are blind)
survival book (something to read to help us feel like we can survive)

Realistically, how many of us are really prepare for an emergency when we walk out the door? Earthquakes, fires, weather, terrorist attacks, or just a Plain-Jane accident while driving to work or even at home?

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Realistically, how many of us are really prepare for an emergency when we walk out the door? Earthquakes, fires, weather, terrorist attacks, or just a Plain-Jane accident while driving to work or even at home?

Good additions to the list, need to add a few things to my trunk then... :D

I have a prep plan for my home, 1week water, and 1week food for 2, and in my vehicle, tools, protection, and all kinda nifty things to get out of a jam. The only time im "pants down" is when i have to fly. You can thank all the jerks who have robbed airplanes over the years for that...

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thing is great to have vs carrying flares in the car
http://www.inovalight.com/247.html
Very bright signal beacon, carry it on my person when i go into the wilderness, and carry it in the car if i have to make an emergency stop on the side of the road.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thing is great to have vs carrying flares in the car
http://www.inovalight.com/247.html
Very bright signal beacon, carry it on my person when i go into the wilderness, and carry it in the car if i have to make an emergency stop on the side of the road.

That thing is sweet! I want one now. The emergency strobe appears that it could induce a seizure though......

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have to carry the grand total of everyones must take with you's then your gonna need somthing bigger than a libby .my list
ouzie 9mm obviously not if im in UK
smokes
pizza dudes tel no
and an assortment of fat blokes, i've seen Alive the fat blokes always get eaten first.

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what does the 8x12 enclosed trailer, that were carrying all this gear in, weigh? And, what is the towing capacity of the Liberty?crazy.gif

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have about all the stuff on that list and it fits in this little box i made..

You must be registered for see images attach

and here it is all button'ed up
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts