Sunflower Mine Run - Saturday March 8, 2008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me and a couple of friends are doing the Sunflower Mine Run on Saturday, March 8. The plan is to camp the Friday night before and then head out at 9 a.m. toward the Sunflower Mine.

We will meet along Four Peaks Rd on Friday around 7 p.m. to camp (N33* 40.000 W111* 28.4533). Then the next day do the run.

This trail rated as a difficult trail in the Wells book (Train 43) as it should take about 4 hours to do this 13 mile section. From what I have heard there is a cut-off part for those that do not want to the difficult section. I have found a few photos from this trail and it looks amazing. Let me know if anyone is interested in going to the trail run and/or camping the night before.

Check out some photos from SoazTim and from Mark D Stephens websites...just as teasers :)

http://www.markdstephens.com/sunflowermine/

http://soaztim.blogspot.com/2008/02/going-on-trip-to-sunflower-mine.html

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that trail doable in a stock KJ w/skids? If not, any objects to a TJ tagging along???

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am thinking a stock KJ might have some probs. here is the pics from when O8K and i went there are some big rocks. more pics on the next page in the thread

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had forgotten all about that thread. Looks like I have to sit this one out. Bummer....

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am thinking a stock KJ might have some probs. here is the pics from when O8K and i went there are some big rocks. more pics on the next page in the thread

Hey Robert, I have read that there is a bypass to the most technical section of the trail...do you have a GPS log or anything that would illustrate this bypass? Also, are you interested in doing the trail again? :D

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am off on that weekend so i am a tenative yes. as long as something i have to deal with does not come up no camping for me i would drive up in the morning

Last edited:

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I noticed on the TOPO maps that there is a little trail runing off from there but having not done this run before I wanted to check with the experts...It would be great if you guys can join us...also let me know if you are down for camping on Friday after work.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...no camping for me i would drive up in the morning
x2 If Arizona KJ Carlos doesn't mind a TJ tagging along, count us in for meeting everyone Saturday morning.

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey no problem. The more the merrier...we have a Land Rover Defender also coming with us, so its not a liberty only trip...just an off-roading adventure. See you there.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey no problem. The more the merrier...we have a Land Rover Defender also coming with us, so its not a liberty only trip...just an off-roading adventure. See you there.
Great!!!

Where and what time do you want to meet up Saturday morning for those of us not camping?

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets meet at the place where we will be camping so that we can be out everybody's way. We will camp off the Beeline Hwy on Four Peaks Rd. Here are the coordiantes: N33* 40.000 W111* 28.4533. We can meet there at 8:30 a.m. and plan to depart right at 9:00 to head out to the Sunflower mine. I'll have my radio on Channel 4-1. Let me know if there is anything else that you need.

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Hey guys, just wanted to send a quick update...since we didnt have any takers for the camping section we will only be doing the SunFlower trail on Saturday without the camping part on Friday (this should make it a lot easier actually..) So, it makes more sense if we meet right off the beeline hwy and service road NF143...the coordinates are 33° 40.688'N 111° 30.142'W. Here is a link for google maps for this location: link http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...017&spn=0.008375,0.014462&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

I will be in my blue Libby and there will also be a white Land Rover Defender. I will have my radio set to channel 4-1 so if you have any questions just give me a quick call on the radio. The plan is to meet there at 8:30 to depart at 9:00 a.m. so be there with your car fueled and stomach full.

See you guys there this Saturday!

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay... 0830 it is. For those without a GPS that does not display numerical coordinates, FR143 is Four Peaks Road, right???

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sure would be nice to see more of you guys sign on for this run....

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only bypasses i know of are for avoiding these two spots:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I think I will tag along for this trip, it'd be great to see yall, its been a while. Would like to have a few more photos of the Cinabar mine too :D That trail has left quite an impression on me (e.g. I got OWNED on it left and right last time). Ill see if i can clear the mind and the soul of any weakness this time. :D

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sure would be nice to see more of you guys sign on for this run....

I hear you, and I'd like to do this run sometime (and I haven't seen o8k in a while), but we just need a weekend to ourselves. Our weekends have been taken up by one thing or another since mid December.

...I'm also considering helicopter training, and if that happens you won't see me for months.

Russ

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you can make it Casey!!! I always need a good KJ to pull the TJ out of a tight spot and you have experience doing just that.

Russ sorry you can't make it. That's great with the flight training, but we'll miss you guys for awhile. Good luck with the flying, you'll enjoy it!!!

Oh!!! I'll keep your KJ in trail shape for you while your off playing Sky King. Wouldn't want that lift to get soft.... :D

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp srry ya cant make it Russ. =( But i understand, i took a bit of time off myself and needed it. So im just getting back into the swing of things. Ive got oodles of hours in a heli-sym (used to make those syms when i was an L-3 lad) http://www.peostri.army.mil/PRODUCTS/AVCATT/ UH-60, AH-64, CH-47 ahh the good ole days.... Anyhow... Im drifting off topic as usual, look fwd to seein yall out there.

Latest posts

Members online