Summer 2014 - PNW Volunteer & Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Plans are already in the beginning stages.

I've traveled to Alaska the last 2 years to volunteer during my summer months off work. This year will be year #3... only this time I've decided to take the Jeep and road trip out to Oregon/Washington instead.

A few years ago, I started planning for a 2-week road trip out to the PNW... then it never happened. So this is "take two." I want to travel there much in the same way that I planned it last time - no/very little interstate travel. The idea is to hop on US Route 20 (which passes within 2 miles of my house), and simply follow it west until it ends in Newport, OR. I know of a few instances where the highway gets on the interstate briefly around major metropolitan areas... but for the most part, interstates will be avoided.

Looking to take a full week to get there. Sleep in the KJ, stop and check out things that are interesting. US Route 20 goes right through the middle of Yellowstone too, so I'm sure I'll be spending some time there.

Aaron is going to drive out and meet me in Washington towards the end of my volunteer gig, and then we'll road trip back together via US Route 2 - still staying off interstates wherever possible.

I'm trying to get my travelogue back up and going again - I did pretty well with it for awhile last year, but then just kind of stopped working on it. It's now been resurrected, and if you want to take a look, feel free... just click on the "In Search of the Road Less Traveled" link in my signature - it'll take you there.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So cool you can do this kind of stuff. Then you post up your pictures and it's like we went with you.:)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Curious, but what are you "volunteering" for? :)

If I don't have a job by then and am not dead (and it's likely that one or the other will happen before too much longer), maybe I'll beg you to let me come along in my Jeep. :D

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Curious, but what are you "volunteering" for? :)

If I don't have a job by then and am not dead (and it's likely that one or the other will happen before too much longer), maybe I'll beg you to let me come along in my Jeep. :D

I find host locations every year via the WWOOF web site. Most of the volunteering is on farms/gardens... but sometimes you can find something different. The first year I went to AK, I worked at a summer sea kayaking place for a week or so. Otherwise, most of the rest have been gardening work. The ones lined up this year are a chestnut farm near Portland, OR and a tree farm near Bellingham, WA - not your "garden" variety farms... but should still be fun. lol3.gif

Most places have you volunteer for 20-25 hrs/week in trade for room & board. It's an inexpensive way to travel - you essentially pay to get there and home, and the rest is covered. Working the shorter hours leaves the rest of the time available to explore the area. I like to hike... and, you know, dabble in photography a little. :D So that's what I usually do in my downtime.

Here's the website: www.wwoofusa.org

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Started browsing around for waterfalls to hike to in Oregon...

O.M.G. - They're freakin' everywhere! I can't wait... :D

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Careful kiddo, I heard somewhere that it's not good to chase waterfalls.:icon_confused:

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Careful kiddo, I heard somewhere that it's not good to chase waterfalls.:icon_confused:

...please stick to the rivers and lakes that you're used to...I know that you're going to have it your way or nothing at all...but, I think you're moving too fast...

Just my opinion yellocoyote, do what you want and we will try to get together in June.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jayme, you always inspire me to think differently about road trips, offroading, etc. :waytogo:

Don't know that I/we can join you to the PNW but rest assured I'll be reading your blogs.

P.S. You thinking about attending the 2014 LOST E.C.S.?

Bob

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
P.S. You thinking about attending the 2014 LOST E.C.S.?

Always. :)
Would have joined you last year if not for the mechanical issues. Those will be squared away before the PNW trip. With any luck, Eugene will cooperate so we can be present for ECS too. (cool)

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I've done a couple of blog updates - I keep meaning to transcribe here, but I forget sometimes... :p Anywhoo... here's the newest updates.

2/4/2014
Aaron has been mapping his mini-motorcycle routing, and I've merely been daydreaming about the upcoming summer in the PNW. Among some of my daydreams are thoughts of hiking and photographing waterfalls. So, with the help of my trusty Google-ninja skills, I found a couple of really nice resources for waterfall locations in NW Oregon... complete with directions, GPS coordinates, trail descriptions - everything!

O.M.G!

There are so many opportunities within a short distance of where I will be staying in Oregon. I'm a little bummed that I'll only be in that area for 2 weeks instead of longer. I suppose I'll be more motivated to make use of my down time. It's a shame that I won't be able to post as much nicer "from the road" images as what I'd like. But still... I'm anxious. I am trying NOT to count down to the trip - it makes the wait more agonizing. But I have to...

Only this many more days!
You must be registered for see images attach

Time to begin looking into the Washington area a little closer - I'm sure I'll find some great things to explore there as well. :D

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Intermittent planning stages for the upcoming Oregon/Washington trip has me looking at National Parks.

This is a point of interest, particularly in on my travels west on US Route 20 where the road travels through Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. The road is called something entirely different while within the park, but it's essentially the same road - Route 20 on the east and west sides of the park.

You must be registered for see images attach

So I've been researching other parks in and around the areas I'll be traveling and staying. Mostly, to research whether or not the NPS's Interagency Annual Pass - essentially, the 'all-parks, all the time' pass - would be the way to go vs. paying the entry fee on a per park basis. At first, I looked into the fees at a few of the western US parks I was interested. Most fees for week-long access are $10/vehicle. Perfectly doable. I couldn't see spending the $80 on the year pass...

Until I researched the fee for coming through Yellowstone on the way west, and Glacier on the way home - each are $25 per vehicle. Now I'm up to $50 for just those two parks alone... not to mention all the other smaller parks along the way that I might like to check out while I'm hanging out on the left-hand side of the country. We're talking Grand Tetons (WY), Craters of the Moon (ID), Crater Lake (OR), Lewis & Clark (OR), Olympic (WA), and North Cascades (WA).

So, now I'm thinking the yearly, all-parks pass might just be the way to go.

That, and if I play my cards right, I could mail the pass home to Aaron before he leaves the Chicago area on his bike to come west... and he could get through Glacier at no additional cost (giving him back 175ish miles worth of extra fuel money).

I guess it makes more sense now.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I love the snow. I do. More than anyone else I know, probably. I'm not a huge fan of the cold - anything under 20-degrees can take a hike. We had far too many sub-zero days.

I've come to the conclusion... I'm actually kind of ready for winter to be over now. Kinda.

We've had what I would call a 'full winter' this year - it started late in November, and still lingers. Typically, January through early-March is when we see snow that sticks to the ground... but not a lot of it. In the past many years, we've been conditioned to a comparably mild season... I even recall a March two years ago where the temps even hit 80-degrees. I had to MOW MY LAWN! In March! I know!

Now I have plans this summer that require me to do more than purchase an airline ticket and pack my bags. I have a vehicle to prep. There is repair work to be done. Maintenance work to be completed. In addition to that, there are things I want to create to make the journey more comfortable - screens for the rear windows of the Jeep, for one. All of these things require work to be done outside. I'm all gung-ho to get going... and I am not especially happy about having to sit on my hands and wait around for Mother Nature to decide which phase of her hot flash she's in. I know there's not much I can do to change that, however.

So while I wait, there is an ever-growing to-do list... which sees additions daily. I'm looking forward to checking some of those things off the list.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm at a couple of days left before starting the trip west... first to Portland, OR... later to Bow, WA. I leave Saturday morning. I'm super-excited... and also a little nervous about traveling that far on my own. But, it's part of the adventure - and I'm all for a good adventure!

Mother Nature did her best to prevent completion of work to the Jeep, but fortunately the Jeep gods were smiling and we prevailed. The donor transfer case and transmission are in and working as they should. I've completed all tune-up items, reinstalled the armor today, and even did some touch-up paint work. Tonight, I installed the power inverter, added the memory foam mattress bedding and sleeping bag.

At this point, it's all about packing my clothes and other necessary things. I have tonight and all day tomorrow to get of those items squared away. I have a bit of laundry and shopping to do tomorrow, but I'm feeling relatively comfortable with the amount of things still left to do. Outside of my chariot, I didn't do much advance preparation... and I still feel like I'm in a good place.

I'll still be unable to process and post "finished" photos from this trip. That being said, I do still plan to take and upload images - either from my trusty cell phone camera, or some straight-out-of-camera shots. I don't think I'm capable of not posting *something* for the entire duration of this trip. That's just crazy-talk. :) I'm also going to experiment with the Blogger app on my phone... to post and upload via that. Not sure, yet, how that will work out... so be warned of technical difficulties.

So, that's it. It's come down to the wire, and although the last many weeks were crazy with repairs, planning and other obligations, it seems as if things have fallen into place. In just a day and a half, the games shall begin!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's wishing you a great trip and a wonderful time at your destination. :cheers:

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a great time and safe travels! I think we will all be here waiting for some of you amazing photos!(popcorn)

Latest posts

Members online