Report: Iowa Jeep show

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Went to the Iowa Jeep show this year (in Cambridge, about 20 mins north of Des Moines). Overall, great show. 200 Jeeps, so not super huge, I was the only KJ. Few WK Grands and some non Jeep vehicles. The off road course was great, it had green, blue and black obstacles and you could pick them as you went along (as in, if you started on a green, you could mix in a blue or black as wanted). I stuck to greens, as most blues looked tricky without lockers and I wasn't out to break anything. They also had a mile long trail through the woods that was cool too- not very challenging but a nice complement to the course. The KJ did great, didn't ever spin a tire or feel like I was going to get stuck (unlike some others "better" built, who seemed to have issues for whatever reason even on easy obstacles). Proud of the KJ- only casualty (so far anyway :happy175:) is a scrape on my driver's side rock rail.

Not too much in the way of vendors or swap meet, but not like you'd find KJ stuff anyway.

Will go again next year if logistically it's possible.

Funniest thing: 4 door JK owners. First...I know all of you aren't like this. :gr_grin: I lost count of how many times the 4 door JKs high centered on this one obstacle...it was getting to the point where they should have stopped letting them try it. I'd say 1/10 made it, but not without a huge tire screeching and belly dragging affair. Most just belly slammed it and backed down. A lot of them you could tell hadn't driven off road before...and most didn't air down (goes to everyone there, I was in the minority that did). Lots of people either stopping before an obstacle and then spinning out, or people treating them like a speed bump in their high school parking lot, just floor it.

The XJ/CJ/YJ/TJ crowd seemed more serious. Not hating on the 4 door JKs.....but just entertaining to watch. :gr_grin:

Overall, great show, with cool Jeeps, even those 4 door JKs. They're still family. Didn't really take pics, can't tell jack shit from 'em.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Overall, great show, with cool Jeeps, even those 4 door JKs. They're still family...
Like in-laws, sort of? :icon_razz:

You could share a few pictures anyway. I'm sure we would like them. :waytogo:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funniest thing: 4 door JK owners. First...I know all of you aren't like this. :gr_grin: I lost count of how many times the 4 door JKs high centered on this one obstacle...it was getting to the point where they should have stopped letting them try it. I'd say 1/10 made it, but not without a huge tire screeching and belly dragging affair. Most just belly slammed it and backed down. A lot of them you could tell hadn't driven off road before...and most didn't air down (goes to everyone there, I was in the minority that did). Lots of people either stopping before an obstacle and then spinning out, or people treating them like a speed bump in their high school parking lot, just floor it.

The XJ/CJ/YJ/TJ crowd seemed more serious. Not hating on the 4 door JKs.....but just entertaining to watch. :gr_grin:

Overall, great show, with cool Jeeps, even those 4 door JKs. They're still family. Didn't really take pics, can't tell jack shit from 'em.

LOL......first thing I did when I drove my Son's 4dr JK off road was high-center it on a spot that didn't look too high. He had a winch so we just winched it off......haha First time I ever drove it. I felt like an idiot. It was new at the time and I was just crawling slow. If I was going just a little bit faster......LOL...That was before the lift, bigger tires, lockers, etc.. But still, they are too long. The 2dr are much better off road in my opinion.

You made me think of that and I had to laugh at myself for my mis-judgement....but really, it didn't look like I was going to high-center and I was used to the KJ after all.

Sounds like you had a good time and that's what counts.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on the shores of the South Skunk River. Must be tough being a real estate agent in those parts. "Hey, got this great house with a waterfront view. Only one little problem..."

"South Skunk River", eh? I don't see no "Stinkin Skunk".....:happy175:

You sure???

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Lol. More of a river bed anymore!

Trying to get pics up but Imgur is acting weird.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach