Recommended trails near Albuquerque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all-

Just moving here, along with just recently buying the Jeep, I'm clueless on any trails near Albuquerque.

In addition, does anybody know of a good trail book out on the market that covers New Mexico? All the 4x4 trail books for the Southwest are either for AZ, Co, UT, and CA. I guess there are still some people that forget NM is part of the country.

Corwyyn, you used to be a Albuquerque res correct...if I recall correctly from a previous post of yours, you and I would almost be neighbors (Alameda & Wyoming area)...did you do any wheelin' around here?

Thanks all! 8-[

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, lets see. There's some nice roads up in the Jemez Mountains, not demanding by any means but nice drives all the same. In the immediate Albuquerque area you can go out to Rio Rancho and head west on Southern Blvd until it turns to dirt, then keep going until it basically dead-ends at some sand dunes - lots of stuff to play on out there. You can also go down to Pajarito Road off of south Coors to get to some more sand dunes, just look out for all the Dan'l Boone types living in trailers out there (can you say 'Deliverance'?) Oh, almost forgot the one play area up by the Manzanos; you go east to the Tramway exit, then turn east on Central about a quarter-mile to Four Hills road. Take that down and around a bend, it turns into Stagecoach Road. Kept heading SE on Stagecoach until you get to an open space area, they have some dirt trails out there that you can go 4-wheeling on.

Eddo lived in Albuquerque for quite a while and may know some more trails that I haven't mentioned yet. If you have Google Earth I can send you a file with some of these laid out, just let me know...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.