May 22, trip to Centralia, PA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in Centralia about a month ago and didnt know it and didnt have time to explore the area. So, I am planning a trip this month to go down again with more time to explore and maybe get some wheeling in.

For those who dont know, Centralia was a coal mining town back in the 50's and 60's and due to a mine fire that has never been put out. PA tried to close the area and evacuate the people living there, to this day there are still a hand full of people still living there in their homes.

I am planning on driving down to explore the town in about 2 weeks. I am gonna leave my house in Rensselaer, NY about 0630 and could meet folks on the way.

I am going either way, but if anyone else is interested let me know.

The trip will be on May 22.

for anyone near albany, ny or north, I will be heading down toll road 87. I get on at exit 23 and will meet up with those going at the first plaza going south after exit 23. Dont know/remember what the name of it is, but I will stop there about 0700 and leave again 0730. While at the plaza, I will monitor CB channel 16 and FRS Radio channel 16. If you have either line of commo, give a yell out for me, my handle is "Bandit."

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah,...you know I am going.

Anyone else want to go?

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, Really, you want to go, thats great, at least I wont be alone if i fall into a hole or something, lol

I just threw 100 feet of rope in the jeep. That's all the rope I got. Just how deep of a hole were you planning to fall into anyway?..:D

Dave

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just threw 100 feet of rope in the jeep. That's all the rope I got. Just how deep of a hole were you planning to fall into anyway?..:D

Dave

I dont know, i was thinking we could do a jeeping trip to the center of the earth and back... LOL

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know, i was thinking we could do a jeeping trip to the center of the earth and back... LOL

You have been watching too many B rated movies.:D

BTT....we might have more coming/meeting us there so we could think of staying on topic and starting a list?

This will be a fun trip.

Dave

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would loveee to go but I told myself Im not going until i get my lift in. Also, that is only 6 days after graduation. Have to spend my remaining days of college with my roommates who im gonna miss like hell if we dont all dont live up here in NY which is what we are trying to make happen.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a trip that's possible without being lifted and without serious man tires? I gots brandy new SUV tires and I'm 4WD :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a trip that's possible without being lifted and without serious man tires? I gots brandy new SUV tires and I'm 4WD :D

Yes. You are welcome to join in CF.

Dave

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

it is totally possible, I am still stock with sprung rear leaves and 215/75/15 Uniroyal Liberators on my jeep and i am able to do the trip. most of what we will be driving, I estimate to be about a class 1-2 maybe a 3 at most. what lil i wheeled when i was there was a class 1 but were there was deep snow was more like a class 4. with out the snow even a subaru could make it

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have been watching too many B rated movies.:D

BTT....we might have more coming/meeting us there so we could think of staying on topic and starting a list?

This will be a fun trip.

Dave

ok, getting back to topic...

so who all is going?

I know I am, Dave will be there for sure, anyone else?

May 22, 2010
Centralia, PA trip
I will be at the first service plaza south of RT87 Exit 23
I will also be monitoring channel 16 on the CB and FRS radio
My handle is "bandit" give a holler when you are close
I am planning on arriving at that plaza about 0700, but I will wait 30 min from the time I arrive or 0730 what ever is longer.

the route I am taking is from Albany area it is 87S to 84W then 81S to Exit 119 on 81S. Once at exit 119, I will pull over and wait about 30 min again to see if anyone else arrives. Apx time for exit 119 should be about 1130-1200. Again once to exit 119, I will monitor channel 16 on the radios. If all goes to plan, I should reach 81S in Scranton, PA about 0930. As I drive I will flip between 16 and 19 on the CB if you want to join us on the road. The only other stop will be for fuel either in Scranton or the town we go through on our way to Centralia.

I look forward to this trip as the more I look up and read up on the town the more excited I get. It will be nice to be able to take the time to explore and know i am in the town or whats left of it.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll put in for the time off at work and then update you guys with whether I'll be going or not.

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
staying on topic and starting a list?

Dave

copy and paste the following list and add your info

Trip list:

Bandit1- XJ with Cell, CB, and FRS for commo

Dave- KJ with Cell and FRS for commo

Last edited:

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trip list:

Bandit1- XJ with Cell, CB, and FRS for commo

Dave- KJ with Cell and FRS for commo

jeh200284- KJ with Cell and FRS for commo

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man im so jealous! first trip that's even remotely close to me and i cant make it

dont worry, there is a chance that i may have to drop out, i am soooo p***ed... had some info come in via email. I may have to plan another trip down... I hope it works out so that I can still go, but if not, i will certainly plan another trip down...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still going.

Dave