AZJKJ Christmas Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT: CONTACT AZKJ FOR DETAILS

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beth and I are still going to do the run, if your interested, let me know and I'll add you to the list.

Date: Dec 29th
Meet: 0900
Rollout: 0930
Where: The Visitor's Center in Oak Creek Village
Trails: Broken Arrow... Wells #23 (rated Difficult, there is a bypass)
Soldier Pass... Wells #18 (rated Difficult for one tough spot)
Van Deren Cabin... Wells #19 (rated Moderate)
Oak Creek Homestead... Wells #22 (rated Moderate)
Dinner: TBA

Note: A $5.00 Red Rock Pass per vehicle is required and can be bought at the Visitor's Center.

- AZKJ w/co-copilot (definate)
- o8k (wild card)
- rkeegstra w/? (probably)
- M&P40 (maybe)

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also just remembered that the Los Abrigados Resort does a Christmas light display through the beginning of January. It would be a long day, but it could be cool to do the trail run, get dinner, and then go check out some Christmas displays in the cooler Sedona weather.

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet, i have been wanting to run some sedona trails for like 7 yrs now. do you know if i need to order the pass early or is this something i can pick up at the trailhead?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are multiple places around Sedona that we can get the Red Rock passes. I'll mark this one on my calendar, I have that whole week off so I may a bit 4-wheeled out by then :p

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are multiple places around Sedona that we can get the Red Rock passes. I'll mark this one on my calendar, I have that whole week off so I may a bit 4-wheeled out by then :p
The easiest place to get one is at the Visitor's Center before you get into Sedona.

You've been wanting to out again with the AZJKJ gang and now you're going to be wheeled by Saturday???

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Great expected turnout already and I'm sure most of the group hasn't even logged on yet. I should make a final decision on the trail and meeting location by tomorrow night, so stay tuned.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Great expected turnout already and I'm sure most of the group hasn't even logged on yet. I should make a final decision on the trail and meeting location by tomorrow night, so stay tuned.
I don't know what trails you have in mind, but we can easily do Broken Arrow and the other two I mentioned earlier and have more than enough time for dinner.

What trails are you considering?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've been wanting to out again with the AZJKJ gang and now you're going to be wheeled by Saturday???
What I meant was I may have already done a large bit of 4-wheeling by the end of that week. Since I have the whole week off I plan on taking advantage of it! :D

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) count me in
2) if yall ever let ME post a trail ride, you'll get them prizes i keep promising!!! but since yall keep jumping the gun.... I donno!! =D
3) Suggestions... Broken Arrow, Soilder's Pass, Greasy Spoon, Snebly hill, to name a few...

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2) if yall ever let ME post a trail ride, you'll get them prizes i keep promising!!! but since yall keep jumping the gun.... I donno!! =D
Well, if you weren't so slow.... :p

Now is your chance!!! January is open before someone else beats you again. That is, if you "really" want to give away those prizes....:D

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you weren't so slow.... :p

Now is your chance!!! January is open before someone else beats you again. That is, if you "really" want to give away those prizes....:D

IM only foolin bud. Christmas is a good time for such things... Ill have a few whatnots to give away, it should be fun, which ill do regardless of weather or not the following idea flys w/ everyone....

I would suggest a swap meet of jeepin/trail type things "white elephant stuff" you have laying around that you dont use, that someone else can, or that costs practicly nothing to by, then to bring along, one thing per jeep, drawing will randomly see who it swaps to whom.

What do ya think?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, don't forget that the LOST group has our 3rd Annual 'Fun In The Sun' run the weekend of the 19th and 20th of January up in the Sedona area. If somebody sets something up for another weekend I'll try to make it (work permitting) but I am locked into that particular event on that weekend.

Also don't forget that Schnebly Hill Rd. may be closed by then depending on conditions. Best to check the Coconino Forest website prior to the run.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was trying to steer clear of Schnebly Hill Road. I've done it three times and, although picturesque, it is too crowded, too short, and too maintained to be much fun for a group run IMO.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the trails out there in the wells book:
18)Soldier pass: Difficult: full skids or lift
You must be registered for see images attach

19)Van Deren Cabin: Moderate: stocker can do

20)Schnebly hill road: Easy: NIX'ed by popular vote

21)Greasy Spoon: Difficult: Full skids or lift
Problem i have w/ this trail is Wells has you run it backwards so you dont see any of sedona, your looking away from it

22)Oak Creek Homestead: Modreate: Never run it donno

23)Broken arrow: Difficult: full skids or lift

COMMENTS:
21 takes the longest and isnt all that interesting in my opinion, if you go the way wells suggests.
18,19,23 are quick and can be done all together in one day, but not sure if everyone would be willing to run these b/c of their rating.

If anyone has any other trails they know of from other books ect. chime in

there are zillions of side trails that go places out there but doing them would prolly be ad-hoc.

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
COMMENTS:
21 takes the longest and isnt all that interesting in my opinion, if you go the way wells suggests.
18,19,23 are quick and can be done all in one day, but not sure if everyone would be willing to run these b/c of their rating.

If anyone has any other trails they know of from other books ect. chime in

there are zillions of side trails that go places out there but doing them would prolly be ad-hoc.

Thanks Casey for posting the pics.

Wells #18, 19 and 23 are exactly what I have suggested since this run was first posted yesterday. Check out posts #2 and 6 in the other thread, same subject.

IMO none are difficult (a tough medium at most) but skids would be required. The steps at Broken Arrow might be a challenge for those of us without a lift, but if you go slow, it shouldn't be all that bad. And yes, they all can be done in one day and still have time for dinner. #18 and 19 are one hour each and #23 maybe two, depending how much we stop and play.

And don't forget, we'll have to stop by the visitor's center on the way into Sedona to get a Red Rock Pass ($5.00 each vehicle)... they have been known to hand out tickets for not having one.

I don't know why there were two threads created for one run, the same information is getting posted two and three times... :confused:

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why there were two threads created for one run, the same information is getting posted two and three times... :confused:

The last thread was for ideas. This is the official announcement. Also, becuase I can. :)

I think we will plan on the Van Deren Cabin trail and the Oak Creek Homestead trails for now.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last thread was for ideas. This is the official announcement. Also, becuase I can. :)

I think we will plan on the Van Deren Cabin trail and the Oak Creek Homestead trails for now.
Great answer, "because I can".

I hope you're going to have some secondary trails to add to this run because the two you picked are hardly a full day on the trail... 4-4 1/2 hours max and just a tad over 13 miles combined not counting travel time between the two.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how about Broken Arrow then? Since I am prelowered, that may help a little.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 500th post! wooo hooo !!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.