AZ October Run...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arizona October Run
Box Canyon of the Hassayampa (Massey and Wilson #C21)

When: Oct 13th
Meet: McDonald's in Wickenburg
Time: 0830, rollout 0900 OR just meet us at the camp when you feel like showing up
Difficulty Rating: 4 on a scale of 10
Scenic Rating: 9 on a scale of 10
Mileage: 14.5 miles
Driving Time: 2.0 hours

Attendees:

AZKJ (w/Co-Pilot)*
desertkj (on ATV's w/Mom)*
o8k (w/Co-Pilot & Navigator)*
rkeegstra*
M&P40*
azmotoman (w/Co-Pilot & Security Force)*
SethX9 (w/Co-Pilot)*
Corwyyn
RAM50

Change of Plans: because of the shortness of the river trail, we've come up with some different plans for the day to keep us occupied....

We're going to set up a camp half way down the river and hang out for the most part. We'll also grill up some burgers and hotdogs, which Casey and I will provide. Condiments and side dishes would be appriciated. The more food the better. Bring your own drinks.

If you can't meet us at 0830, make it out to the camp whenever you can.

As for the trail run itself, there will be several options after we set up camp:

- hang out at camp.

- play in the river and sandy hills nearby.

- explore some short side trails in the area.

- after lunch, do Wells #36 / Massey and Wilson #C20 Buckhorn Creek Trail on the way back to Phoenix.

- leave the way you came in.

Bottom line, we'll have plenty of food and several choices of how to spend the rest of the day after the foods all gone. In other words, there's something for everyone on this trip... see you there!!!

Food List:

AZKJ - hamburgers, buns, baked beans, cucumber salad, tomatoes and onions
o8k - hotdogs and buns
azmotoman - chips, ketchup, mustard, pickles, cheese, ***** & tables
M&P40 - potato salad
rkeegstra - chips, paper plates, napkins, plastic forks and knives

Directions to the trail and Camp from McD's in Wickenburg for those coming later in the day:

- Leaving McD's, make a right and go into town.

- Make a right at the light onto Hwy 89/93 like you are heading to Kingman.

- Go a few miles down the road, pass a Woody's gas station on the right.

- Go a few more miles, look for Rincon Rd on the right and turn onto it.

- Follow Rincon Rd a few miles to the river bed.

- Make a right into the river going towards the canyon. We'll be camped out in a sandy, shaded area on the left bank half way down the river. You can't miss us.

=========================================================

Note: Tow hooks and straps are highly recommended. Parts of the trail travels in a sandy riverbed with varying water depths. Quicksand is also a possibility.

Pictures from a previous trip...
(the water level this year is no where near what is shown below)

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any interest for an October run? LOST is doing a Crown King trip, but I think we'll skip that one.

If anyone is interested, any ideas on when/where? Wells has a
lot of trails to pick from.

- Sedona area: Broken Arrow, Schnebly Hill Rd, Soldier Pass, Van Deren Cabin

- Wickenburg area: Box Canyon of the Hassayampa, Wickenburg Mountains, Harquahala Peak

- Florence Junction area: Box Canyon, Walnut Canyon

It would have to be towards the beginning of the month, but I would still love to do Box Canyon of the Hassayampa.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BCH has got my vote. LOST is doing trick or jeep but ive not checked the date yet on when its happening.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BCH has got my vote. LOST is doing trick or jeep but ive not checked the date yet on when its happening.
We'll just be getting back from our Utah trip on the 6th, so that weekend is out for us and the LOST trip is on the 20th. Looks like the 13th and 27th are open, or even the 20th if no one plans on being LOST.

We're up for whatever trail you guys decide, they're all fun trails and we've been on most of them.

So far it looks like BCH (Massey and Wilson #C21). When we decide for sure, give me a trail/time/date and I'll post it here. Casey if you want to post it on LOST when we get it finalized, go for it....

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll just be getting back from our Utah trip on the 6th, so that weekend is out for us and the LOST trip is on the 20th. Looks like the 13th and 27th are open, or even the 20th if no one plans on being LOST.

We're up for whatever trail you guys decide, they're all fun trails and we've been on most of them.

So far it looks like BCH (Massey and Wilson #C21). When we decide for sure, give me a trail/time/date and I'll post it here. Casey if you want to post it on LOST when we get it finalized, go for it....

Either the 13th or the 20th would work for me. I was originally planning on doing the Trick or Jeep run with the Polaris, but I think I would be willing to cancel for this.

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have drawers to make for the bathroom cabinet, but I could probably be talked into going on the 13th. I am going to do the Crown King run on the 20th. Mary will be back by the 27th if you can do it then.

Russ

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna pass on this one, saving up time off and money for the Trick or Jeep run. take lots of cool pics where ever you guys go.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, do we want to plan on BCH on the 13th?
BCH is good by me. Any chance of making it the 27th, so Mary can make it with Russ? Let me know what you two decide on and I'll firm it up and post the information....

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be up for something on the 27th, maybe a run down by Russ.

Dude! Road Trip!
I've been subtly trying to get him and some of the others to come out for FITS. I'm pretty sure Andy is coming out again, they could all meet up and caravan out. But if they wanna stay in the snow...

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm cool with the 13th if desertkj can't do the 27th. Gives me a reason to get out of the house while Mary's away.
desertkj, it's your call... the 13th or 27th. Let me know and I'll post it.

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can make it the weekends of 13th or the 27th as they are my off weekends. if on the other weekends i will have to take a rain check. i hear that BCH is a good challenge but i have not been there yet.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are good teaching jobs out that way to so the lady would be set to find something. STOP IT!! STOP taunting me!!

I hope you guys do get together for this trip and take some saweeet pictures!

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are good teaching jobs out that way to so the lady would be set to find something. STOP IT!! STOP taunting me!!

I hope you guys do get together for this trip and take some saweeet pictures!

Just move out here already. I know they need teachers out here too desperately.

Oh, and the 13th for me. I don't believe I will be in town the weekend of the 27th.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the 13th for me. I don't believe I will be in town the weekend of the 27th.
Okay then, it looks like BCH on the 13th. Meet 0830 at the McDonald's in Wickenburg, rollout at 0900. I'll post this information in the first post.

o8k, post on Lost if you want.... thanks.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will post up in the mornin on lost.... the lost server wont let me post from phone, on travel, only compuer is at work,

DUDE move out here for reals i moved from tx few months back been havin a blast...

im good for the 13th too

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
STOP IT!! STOP taunting me!!

But it's so much fun! You know you want to do stuff like this with your Liberty:

Sure it's as hot as Lucifer's back yard in the summer time, but come October thru March or Early April it is just fantastic! The pic below was taken the day after Christmas last year. Went out to the Coke Ovens (which are unfortunately off limits now) and met up with some TJ drivers. We all decided to try going across the river since it was getting late and that was the fastest way out. This guy went in the water to see if it was too deep to cross. He only got about 30-40 feet out before he decided it was too cold for him :p But the temps were in the low 70s and it was just fantastic out there!

And yes I am sure there are plenty of teaching positions available, especially if she happens to be bi-lingual. If nothing else ya'll need to come out for a long weekend just to see what it's like in the winter, so c'mon down!!! :D

OK, back to our regular topic ;)

Latest posts

Members online