AZ Box Canyon 11-17??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i may go, sounds fun... will know by the end of the day

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, if we get some rain, I will be forced to come, homework or not.....LOL

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awsome. we got rain (at least at my house in chandler) ;)
and casey i know it will be fun i got my fingers crossed for ya

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will let you know tomorrow, but I am very tempted right now. I wanted to wash the Jeep this weekend, but this sounds like more fun LOL.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm in. C'mon Casey, I have stuff I should be doing too. This isnt one of those "lift highly recommended" trails is it?

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This isnt one of those "lift highly recommended" trails is it?
For the most part it is just a gravel trail, but there is one place, maybe two that will be cause for concern with a stock KJ. Good spotting and rock stacking will get you through (be sure to unstack after you're up and over).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0QqNgDzVjU

After you exit the canyon, there is an awesome hill climb off to the right that I would like to see a KJ do.

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an idea on coordinates for this climb? I'd be willing to give it a go :)

You can't miss it. As you enter or exit Box Canyon, depending which way you go in, it is at the "Y" intersection on north end and on the east side of the trail, across from the yellow sign.

Here you go (map and coordinates taken from Wells #55, Box Canyon)...

33° 08’ 58.6” x 111° 12’ 02.3” The red dot marks the spot.

Good luck getting up the hill in a KJ... it was hard enough in the TJ with 31x10.5 BFG M/T's aired down to 15 psi. There is a go around to the top and you can try it going downhill if you can't make it up.

A word of caution... part of the trail is on State Trust Land, which is not public land and a State Trust Land Permit is required. The Pinal County Sheriff's Dept has been known to patrol the area and issue tickets to people not having a permit. If you get caught, they get ugly, no warnings at all and you'll leave with a $450.00 ticket. Go at your own risk if you don't have a permit....

The only way in and out of Box Canyon itself, without crossing state land is on Battle Axe Road, off of Hwy 177 south of Superior. You'll do part of Wells #57, Walnut Canyon, which is an easy to moderate scenic trail.

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized it looks like I am the only unlifted guy on this run and I still haven't finished mounting my t-case skid (don't ask LOL).

Anyways, I'll see you all in the morning. If anyone knows of an Exxon or Mobil station in the area, I would appreciate it since I have a gas card for there.

Thanks for the heads up AZKJ. I'm gonna try to get down there in the next few minutes to get a permit.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyways, I'll see you all in the morning. If anyone knows of an Exxon or Mobil station in the area, I would appreciate it since I have a gas card for there.

Thanks for the heads up AZKJ. I'm gonna try to get down there in the next few minutes to get a permit.
From the post over at LOST, it sounds like you're doing the trail, south to north going in off Hwy 79 and Price Rd. If that's the case, I don't think you'll need the permit. Going out to US 60 or Cottonwood Canyon Rd does require one.

Shouldn't be a problem finding one of those stations in Florence.

Hey, you're welcome.... I don't want to see anyone from the AZ JKJ Country "got groceries" gang getting jacked up (or anyone else). ;)

Wish we could make the run and the one down in Bisbee next week. After Beth has her surgery, and it comes out they don't find any cancer, which would require another operation and treatments if they do, we'll be back on the trails. You guys keep you fingers crossed and say a little prayer for her... thanks.

Have fun and take lots of pictures. I like pics.... :)

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well. Just got back from buying the permit. I guess I have it for next time now LOL. Also, is it just me, or is LOST not liking the new competition over the AZ trail runs?

Also, I had no idea that Beth was going in for surgery. I hope it all goes well for her and that you are both able to get back on the trails soon.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2x on beths speedy recovery

ya it does look like they r getting worked up over there. if one just posts the details of the trip in the fisrt post of the thread, ot seems to work well in avoiding confusion =p

hey shawn, wanna convoy down there in the morning?

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey shawn, i saw you were #2 on the sign in sheet. it has been too long for me to go without a permit and with all the offroading i do it was about time i got one. glad to see yall can make it, see ya in the morning.

my thoughts and prayrs go out to beth for the best outcome possible

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
waiting in line at mcdonalds deture here for dinner waiting out the wreck on the 60 that shut down the hwy.

anyways had a total blast thanks everyone for coming, its always great to meet new people. shawn did a great job on some tough spots, carlos, and his friend (name?) where great company. we got to use robets winch, some straps, a come along (on a wrangler, and others) will post some pics when i get home. since this was a post in lost, ill post there and hprlink photos here. i cant post to lost from my phone tho so im posting here first. but will post photos there, ok its time for me to order... again great time thanks to all...

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got home. I decided not to drive out to the west valley. They were clearing up the wreck on the 60 when I got through there, so it wasn't too bad. It didnt look good for those involved though. Anyways, I have 80+ pictures so it's going to be awhile. Thanks to everyone who went and it was one of my best trips so far.

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj,

I for one (as AZLOST Secretary) really like the fact that there are concurrent runs from both forums (and any other). It gives us all an opportunity to run in different parts of the state at the same time. I don't mind either if there is cross-posting. Others probably disagree with this. These are public forums and there are no rules (as far as I know) prohibiting it. If there ever are, I'm done - it's just silly.

It'd be wonderful if we all joined a single forum/club to come together as a larger group with regards to Land Use, etc., but that's not going to happen at this point. It's up to the members of both forums to be active with regards to Land Use, Tread Lightly, etc.

(dismounting soapbox)

Looks like ya'll had fun! However, you are supposed to go down 'the hill' by the windmill/water tank sideways - didn't you know??? :)

You must be registered for see images

Note: unprofessional driver on an open course - do not attempt
________
FORD MODEL U SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phxtoad, thanks for coming over here and posting about the concurrent trip reports. As far as Tread Lightly, Land Use, etc, I can assure you that everyone in the AZJKJ section has been as diligent as the folks over at LOST. I believe we all had the required permits, equipment, and basic edicate which is essential to portray a positive image for the OHV enthusiast crowd. I did not realize it was that hill that you slid sideways down BTW. Now I am amazed you didn't roll it LOL.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online