Any Interest In The Mogollon Rim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any Interest In The Mogollon Rim? *UPDATED ITINERARY*

Date: September 8, 2007

Place: Mogollon Rim

Meeting Location: 7:00 am at Hwy 87 & The Bush Highway for Phoenix guys who want to convoy up......
8:30 am- SE Corner of Hwy 87 and E. Bonita St. in Payson (final meeting spot)

Description: It is a gravel road suitable for passenger cars, although there are quite a few side roads that provide good opportunities to explore. A major selling point is also that it is usually between 70 and 80 degrees up there with almost daily monsoons. Here is a description from the Forest Service:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/mog_rim/rim-road-scenic.shtml

Members Planning to Attend:
Me (Desertkj)
M&P40
AZKJ (w/ co-pilot)
rkeegstra
jimj
o8k
azmotoman

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sign us up as long as it's on a different weekend than the trip Russ is talking about putting together. And yes, it is a nice ride with some interesting short side trips....

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked my schedule and am deffinately down for a run to the rim on the 8th. i am already excited and it is still 18 days away ;)

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll wait to see when the trip Russ is planning is, and then we'll try to figure out a weekend that works for everyone. It's just a day trip, so it's not so bad. I would love to see Russ and Mary up there, but I'm not sure what kind of drive that is from Tucson. There are also quite a few lakes up there which I forgot to mention. There's an interesting hill climb that i think Casey would like if I can remember how to get there. I just remember it is a sidetrail as you approach Potato Lake.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just checked the other thread and I'm thinking either the 8th or the 22nd. I think I would prefer the 8th so that M&P40 could go.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i could be down for a trip to the rim, depending on the date. are yall tired of me yet???:D
Heck no!!! The more the merrier.... (partysmile)
heck no man! go go !!! jeeping good for u ! :D
Casey, if you keep it up, we're going to have to look into a Jeep 12 step program for you.... :D

I'll wait to see when the trip Russ is planning is, and then we'll try to figure out a weekend that works for everyone. It's just a day trip, so it's not so bad. I would love to see Russ and Mary up there, but I'm not sure what kind of drive that is from Tucson.

Good deal, we'll be there!!! Just set the date, meeting place and time.

As for the trip from Tucson, it depends were we start from. It's about 190 miles and a little over 3 hours from Tucson to Payson if that's where you want to meet up....

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't expect so much feedback this quickly. I'm very excited now. We could definitely meet in Payson or even somewhere in Phoenix depending on the route everyone takes to get there. I usually take I-17 until Camp Verde and go that way.

And azmotoman, I'd definitely like to see ya out there and I'm sure the rest of the crew would as well. Once you out there once with us, I can almost guarantee you'll want to go again.

Last edited:

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't expect so much feedback this quickly. I'm very excited now. We could definitely meet in Payson or even somewhere in Phoenix depending on the route everyone takes to get there. I usually take I-17 until Camp Verde and go that way.

And azmotoman, I'd definitely like to see ya out there and I'm sure the rest of the crew would as well. Once you out there once with us, I can almost guarantee you'll want to go again.

i can speak to that!!

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're in! The Chiricahua thing is looking pretty solid for 9/15, so either 9/8 or 9/22 is good for us.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're in! The Chiricahua thing is looking pretty solid for 9/15, so either 9/8 or 9/22 is good for us.

Awesome! I'm always amazed at how long you both are willing to drive for some wheeling.

Now too bad it's only August 20th......

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I'm always amazed at how long you both are willing to drive for some wheeling.

Now too bad it's only August 20th......
I'd suggest we start the run in Payson... it's much closer for Russ and a much nicer ride up to the rim through Payon and Strawberry. For those going up from Phoenix, we could meet somewhere in Mesa near the Beeline Highway and head up together.

Is it going to be on the 8th???

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have to check into this one, too! Keep us posted.

well it,d be great to have u along ive been the onlt crd out there for some time...

and as for aj,,, i dont have a problem, i can stop whenever i want.... hehehehe....

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest we start the run in Payson... it's much closer for Russ and a much nicer ride up to the rim through Payon and Strawberry. For those going up from Phoenix, we could meet somewhere in Mesa near the Beeline Highway and head up together.

Is it going to be on the 8th???

Yes, it sounds like September 8th is going to be the best day for this run. Also, I got your PM. We'll meet in Payson somewhere. I'm debating which way to head up there as the way up from Mesa is quite a bit out of the way for me.

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling Kevin and Pearl.... are you guys up for this?

Last edited:

minimedic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have a problem, i can stop whenever i want.... hehehehe....
Casey, stoppings for quitters and your no quitter!! :D
Besides, I wanna be like you with the Jeep thing!! (bowdown)

Both trips sound like fun and getting out of the heat is definitely a plus!! Gotta wait to see if I've got class though. Will see if Sam wants to go,too. How long is the ride and about what time would be back? I will have to work the next day. sad2.gif

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll meet in Payson somewhere. I'm debating which way to head up there as the way up from Mesa is quite a bit out of the way for me.
I just did some quick map and GPS calculations...

- Waddell > Camp Verde > Payson = 158 miles / 2:50 hours

- Waddell > Mesa (and going up the Beeline) > Payson = 115 miles / 2:15 hours

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Casey, stoppings for quitters and your no quitter!! :D
Besides, I wanna be like you with the Jeep thing!! (bowdown)

How long is the ride and about what time would be back? I will have to work the next day. sad2.gif

Yeah that's what I said about smoking for some 30 years.... cough - cough - cough :D

Queen Creek > Payson = 82 miles / 1:40 hours plus about 5-6 hours to do the loop back to Payson. You're looking at about 9-10 hours easy, not counting a stop in Payson for a bite to eat on the way back....

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling Kevin and Pearl.... are you guys up for this?
Man, ya'll gotta thing for Saturdays or what??? I'd love to do the run but I'll have to be a last-minute addition if at all - work is still going full-bore (worked both days this weekend) and it's looking like I have a pretty firm commitment for the weekend of 22/23 which I may need to take a day off for. I'd love to do the Chiricahua run too but a run every week just isn't in the cards for me right now...