3rd annual Fun In The Sun Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hear ye, hear ye! This is your official invitation to attend the 3rd annual 'Fun In The Sun' Run (which shall hereafter be referred to as FITS). This years run will be in the beautiful red rocks of Sedona, AZ. There will be camping available or for the less adventurous types, motels are plentiful in the Sedona/Cottonwood/Jerome area. For more info check out the starter thread over on LOST. This is sure to be a great time, and we would enjoy the opportunity to wheel with as many fellow KJers as possible. So mark your calendars for the 3rd weekend of January and plan on getting away from all that cold, slushy white stuff :D

UPDATE (1/4/08) - here is a link to the section on LOST with all the various threads chock full of info and miscellany :confused:

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill be there for that one. how cold does it get there in winter? ill post my self in lost when i get to a computer, hope to have a modest camper by then, or drag my folks out for the weekend, they have quite the setup =)

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weather

I'm sure next year it'll be real nice!

Lets see, '07 chilly and rainy with snow on Sunday afternoon (what the...?)

'06 it was beautiful, but we were camped in a natural bowl at the base of a 9000' mountain, so it was 17 degrees F the first night and a balmy 12 degrees F the next... :eek:
________
MERCEDES-BENZ W112 SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brr and stuff. so how is this fun in the sun then exactly if its like 17 degrees out? jeepin is always fun, and i suppose there will be sun, but thats kinda cheating :p either way count me in it looks like a blast.

slightly off topic:
i read an article in aug issue of four wheeler mag about a trail they did at moab in the winter w/ 2ft of snow on the road, that looked fun.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
slightly off topic:
i read an article in aug issue of four wheeler mag about a trail they did at moab in the winter w/ 2ft of snow on the road, that looked fun.
Hey, back in January when they had the media events for the roll-out of the Patriot some intrepid souls took one with a JK and a Dodge PU up the back road to Crown King - they eventually got into something like 12" of snow and had to tug the Patriot thru an obstacle but they got it up there.

As for 'Fun In The Sun', well all things considered we have better chances of mid-50s to low 60s that time of year than the weather we had this year, but even if there's some snow on the ground in Sedona it'll still be beautiful...
You must be registered for see images attach

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when r u gettin new tires?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning on going down tomorrow to get a pair to replace the trashed ones. I also need to find a shop/pep boys/someplace to do an alignment. I think there's one just south of Broadway on Hardy that does them, just need to give them a call.

EDIT: hmmm, this probably should have gone in the 'AZ July trip' thread, but oh well...

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i was in sedona last year around that same time it was 70-80 during the day and 50-60 at night. it had just snowed there the week before too. I cant wait for the trip. AZ was so much fun last year.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i was in sedona last year around that same time it was 70-80 during the day and 50-60 at night. it had just snowed there the week before too. I cant wait for the trip. AZ was so much fun last year.
That actually sounds a little high for that time of year, but not too much. Now let's see if we can talk Marlon, Phil, Bennett and some of the others into coming with you - you guys could convoy down and have all sorts of fun! :D :D :D

More images from Sedona:

Sunset from Schnebly Hill Rd

Looking northeast from Broken Arrow trail

Looking south from the end of Broken Arrow trail

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the weathere there in winter can be quite variable cold for a few days then mild ect ect. what trails are we gonna run? yes more pics. long as theres no freezing rain, that could get interesting hehehe

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another Schnebly Hill Road sunset picture, taken several years ago - yes, we drove this road in our Neon, although we didn't make it all the way to the highway, but that was only because it was getting dark.

You must be registered for see images

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Schnebly Hill Road is closed during the winter i found that out last time i was down there in january.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the weathere there in winter can be quite variable cold for a few days then mild ect ect. what trails are we gonna run? yes more pics. long as theres no freezing rain, that could get interesting hehehe
Trails are still being finalized, although the one certainty is that we won't be doing Broken Arrow as a main trail on Saturday - just too busy to try and get a large group through. Sunday is pretty much a free day so if anyone wants to form a smaller group and head out for BA then that's cool, or maybe wait for Monday morning so the traffic drops off. Right now I'm looking at taking Thursday thru Monday off work so I'll be up there early and staying late.
Schnebly Hill Road is closed during the winter i found that out last time i was down there in january.
Hmmm, was it closed from the bottom or just the top portion coming off of I-17? Guess we'll have to look into that as it is one of the possibilities for a mild/stocker trail for the run. The pictures I posted last page were taken the Sunday after Thanksgiving last year and it was a bit chilly at the top, but once I got down to Sedona it was nice (its about a 2300' elevation change between the two ends of the road).

Last edited:

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was closed at the bottom. I belived they called it a shelf road so it was closed in the winter. I was there the weekend after the last FITS. by the way you stockers can to broken arrow with skids. I ran all but the steps last year sounds like a good trail for a monday.

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun, yall er getting me all excited. Lift kit, tx case, and gas tank skid are left on my todo list for jeep equip. Are there other trails out there to run that are not in the wells book worth doing?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What trails are you doing?
Still in planning stages, stay tuned for more details!!!

OK, actually I missed the first pre-run so I'm not sure what all they ran, but I know they did stuff in both the Sedona and Jerome areas. Might have some more info next week at 'Trick or Jeep'.

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trails

THEY ARE A SECRET FOR NOW ;)

We are having another Pre-Run soon to scout some more trails. Through our membership with the Arizona State Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs (ASA4WDC) we hooked up with the Verde Valley Four Wheelers Club. They were kind enough to show us some trails that aren't even in the books. It's gonna be fun!!!!

Plus, the campground is great and everything is close: Cottonwood, Clarkdale, Jerome, Sedona. Amazing places!!!

TL
________
Mazda az-offroad history

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online