Towing questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AiDub

Reaction score
So me and my fiance are making a big move, across country from Indiana to Oregon at the end of March. We live in a smallish apartment currently so we don't own much so we've decided to just rent a cargo trailer from U Haul. I'm in the process of upgrading my 3.7L Liberty with a level 3 tow hitch and such and was wondering if anyone has any advice about what else I need to do for prepping the long 2,500 mile drive while towing a trailer... Mind you I've never towed anything in my life so this will be new to me and any help and advice is much appreciated haha...

One thing in particular that I would like to know is is it necessary to install a trany cooler for something as small as a 5'x10' trailer with a max gross weight of 2,800lbs?... We're on a budget for moving so I'm trying not to spend too much but if it's necessary in keeping my transmission safe, I'll want to do it for sure. If it is necessary, can anyone recommend a good, but on the less expensive side Transmission cooler setup?

Thanks in advance!

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a hitch today along with the wiring harness as well, on my 07 liberty. These are mopar OEM parts as well. I can give you the part numbers if you need them, also what yr is your liberty?.

AiDub

Reaction score
I have a 2005 liberty limited 4x4... I'm leaning towards the uhaul installed hitch as it runs about $200 installed which is a pretty good deal... How much is the mopar OEM one though?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with the Uhaul hitch ... they are made by Curt .. at least up here anyway. I bought mine from them, along with a 4 pin (piggy back) harness for around $130? can't remember exactly it was a while back. Easy install ... 70(ish) bucks in your pocket. Actual mileage may very ;)

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the KJ is rated to tow 3000 lbs without the towing package (ie cooler etc)

edit : looks like 3500 but also depends on your transmission type

Last edited:

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hitch cost me 164.00 and the wiring harness cost me 111.00 from franklin sussex, in NJ, it was all plug n play, and real easy to install.

Randoozle

Reaction score
I got my factory hitch from a junk yard for 35 dollars, although I had to remove it myself. It only has six bolts and is an extremely easy install. Unfortunately my 2002 liberty does not have any easy quick connect for the hitch wiring like my chevy truck has.

Randoozle

Reaction score
I would go factory because it tucks up neatly behind the bumper and looks factory where as the uhaul hitches are a bit tacky. As easy as it is to install I would by the factory from a junk yard and if you are not comfortable wiring it pay the dealer to do that or uhaul.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
One key thing to remember when towing anything is to turn your OD off... otherwise you run the risk of overheating your ******.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I would go factory because it tucks up neatly behind the bumper and looks factory where as the uhaul hitches are a bit tacky. As easy as it is to install I would by the factory from a junk yard and if you are not comfortable wiring it pay the dealer to do that or uhaul.

They must use different models at different locations because mine is hidden by the bumper ... if you buy the right connector there is no wiring involved, it just piggy backs on your tail light plug.

AiDub

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys... So what I'm gathering is it's not totally necessary to install a trany cooler if it's at 3,500lbs or lower (which it definitely will be).

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Correct .. just be sure to be aware of the KJ shifting ...especially on inclines ... and turn the OD off to minimize it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You probably already have a small ****** cooler.
Some were routed though the rad, others were stand alone, not through the rad, but attached with cooler fin type, mounted in front of the rad. Confirm you have a cooler.
I pull a boat, but never 2500 miles. The long haul's really heat things up and if you do get a transmission light on, then friction modifier's have been weakened by high temps.
If you have not had your transmission serviced lately, that would be recommended before the trip to ensure your ATF+4 fluid is in top shape.
I would also recommend a product called LubeGard Red that I add every time I change fluid or drop pan.
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-112/LUBEGARD+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+Protectant
This stuff works as promised, and really helps to keep temps lower and the fluid from breaking down.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
said this before on several other boards:
admins should run a script against all threads and close any that haven't seen a post in a certain time frame, like say 18 months or 2 years.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Cut Joe some slack. It's easy to come across a thread and post without noticing the date. I'm sure I'll do it myself sometime in the next 18 years. ;)

sota, I'm on a tech forum where a notice will appear across the window where you post your reply to the effect that "This thread hasn't had a post in "X" number of days. You may wish to start a new thread..." I think their time frame is about a year. Not a bad idea. :)