The Official "My Gas Mileage *****" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Well to be honest this is the number one complaint of many KJ'ers fortunately, there are some things you can do.

Basic Things:
1.) Check Air Pressure of tires, lower pressure = more rolling resistance.
2.) Check to make sure air filter is clean.

Mods:
1.) Cat Back Exhausts are known to help mpg by 1~2 mpg sometimes 3.
2.) Aftermarket Cold Air Intake or Drop in K&N filter
3.) High Flow Catalyic Converter
4.) Some people have mentioned with a throttle body spacer does help. (I can't verify this, because I don't have one)
5.) Synthetic Oil supposed to give maybe 1~2 mpg with a good filter.
6.) Some people mention better spark plugs can help

Things that make MPG go down.
1.) Lots of Lights / Baskets
2.) Bigger Tires
3.) Lift (I noticed after I did the clevis it dropped, but it really didn't change much after my lift-The slight tilt must add better air flow)
4.) Huge heavy sub boxes
5.) Full car load of people
6.) Under inflated tires
7.) Pulling a trailer
8.) Excess drain on alternator
9.) Air Conditioning
10.) Opening Windows
11.) Offroading
12.) Winter Gas
13.) Driving Hard - be nice to it and it will be a little nicer to your pocket.
14.) Excess weight in general - Skid Plates, Brushgaurds ...
15.) The computer gets mad if it doesn't go offroading every month, and deciedes to dump lots of fuel into the motor- So make sure you take her out every once and a while.

As I side not I found my Liberty gets the best MPG at 61 mph.

Bennett

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2002 KJ previously sucked gas; my 2005 KJ now does not. \:D/
Greg

You must be registered for see images

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
gsbrockman said:
My 2002 KJ previously sucked gas; my 2005 KJ now does not. \:D/
Greg

HAHA nice try!! lol. hmmm wonder if CRD has something to do with it.

rasputan

Reaction score
O:) hello... this is my first post. whats poppin?

okay... what is the general average MPG for highway driving? i get better mileage in the city than on the highway... is this normal? i'm running about 19.5 MPG on average...

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rasputan said:
i get better mileage in the city than on the highway... is this normal? i'm running about 19.5 MPG on average...

Is your highway driving at 96mph into a headwind?

My CRD seems to get me about 28 mpg highway (on a warm day), but the overall average is about 22.

rasputan

Reaction score
melted said:
rasputan said:
i get better mileage in the city than on the highway... is this normal? i'm running about 19.5 MPG on average...

Is your highway driving at 96mph into a headwind?

My CRD seems to get me about 28 mpg highway (on a warm day), but the overall average is about 22.

usually around 80ish... is that 28 to 22 canadian or american? i forget what the exchange rate is nowadays... lol (from toronto).

rasputan

Reaction score
also... i should have said "interstate" instead of "highway" and that was my overall average. typically, on highway roads where i'm doing under 65-70 i usually get between 25-21 mpg.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the last week, mixed motorway? city driving i have been using 11.3l per 100 kms, to you US guys just over 20MPG which is not too bad

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bone stock (well, except for the lights and radios) non-lifted '03 Lib:

370 miles/16.38 gallons = 22.6 mpg \:D/

running 75mph with cruise control, minimal a/c (I was up by Flagstaff where it was like 50 degrees outside at night), tire pressure 34psi. Thats almost as good as my four-****** Dakota got (biggrin)

snest

Reaction score
Kj2002 Consumptin

KJ 2002
City Round 18-21 Lit/100 Km
Highway 14-16 Lit/100 Km (Cruise Control 120-130 Km/Hr)

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
The other day, i don't know how- but I was pulling a trailer and managed to get 19 mpg... coolness!

jbjeep

Reaction score
21 mpg on the highway, 10-11 mpg short trips around town. The short trips rally kill the gas milage.

Marco

Reaction score
Help! In Italy the price of a liter unleaded gas is 1.338 EURO!! ONE LITER!!!! So please, any idea about what to do for my 2004 3.7 Liberty that is VERY thirsty...? After that somebody says.... leave her in the garage and go by foot...
Marco

Bennett said:
Well to be honest this is the number one complaint of many KJ'ers fortunately, there are some things you can do.

Basic Things:
1.) Check Air Pressure of tires, lower pressure = more rolling resistance.
2.) Check to make sure air filter is clean.

Mods:
1.) Cat Back Exhausts are known to help mpg by 1~2 mpg sometimes 3.
2.) Aftermarket Cold Air Intake or Drop in K&N filter
3.) High Flow Catalyic Converter
4.) Some people have mentioned with a throttle body spacer does help. (I can't verify this, because I don't have one)
5.) Synthetic Oil supposed to give maybe 1~2 mpg with a good filter.
6.) Some people mention better spark plugs can help

Things that make MPG go down.
1.) Lots of Lights / Baskets
2.) Bigger Tires
3.) Lift (I noticed after I did the clevis it dropped, but it really didn't change much after my lift-The slight tilt must add better air flow)
4.) Huge heavy sub boxes
5.) Full car load of people
6.) Under inflated tires
7.) Pulling a trailer
8.) Excess drain on alternator
9.) Air Conditioning
10.) Opening Windows
11.) Offroading
12.) Winter Gas
13.) Driving Hard - be nice to it and it will be a little nicer to your pocket.
14.) Excess weight in general - Skid Plates, Brushgaurds ...
15.) The computer gets mad if it doesn't go offroading every month, and deciedes to dump lots of fuel into the motor- So make sure you take her out every once and a while.

As I side not I found my Liberty gets the best MPG at 61 mph.

Bennett
[-o<

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the best gas ever

I find that I get the best gas milage when my jeep is in park, and turned off. or when it's in nuetral and rolling down a damn hill. other than that it *****. I have a question though....

the 3.7 v6 is not a huge engine but is by no means anyones biaaatch. However it revs very very high. The other day I was stuck behind a stopped bus. I had a car approaching from behind in the other lane about 20 yards back. So I put the pedal to the floor, pulled out infront of the car... the engine almost red lined and I almost got hit cause the friggin jeep did not move forward. It's like a barking dog that has no teeth.

I blame this on a 4 speed auto trans. I almost feel it would pay off (in a year or two) to try and locate a 5 speed, then try and sell the 4 speed. I wonder how much that would cost.

EugeneTheJeep

Reaction score
Re: the best gas ever

Liber said:
I find that I get the best gas milage when my jeep is in park, and turned off. or when it's in nuetral and rolling down a damn hill. other than that it *****. I have a question though....

the 3.7 v6 is not a huge engine but is by no means anyones biaaatch. However it revs very very high. The other day I was stuck behind a stopped bus. I had a car approaching from behind in the other lane about 20 yards back. So I put the pedal to the floor, pulled out infront of the car... the engine almost red lined and I almost got hit cause the friggin jeep did not move forward. It's like a barking dog that has no teeth.

I blame this on a 4 speed auto trans. I almost feel it would pay off (in a year or two) to try and locate a 5 speed, then try and sell the 4 speed. I wonder how much that would cost.

WOW were you going up hill in the snow, when I put the hammer down on the 3.7 I can get a good smoke show going !!

18 mpg around town
20 mpg highway

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah you can peel out just fine but count how long it takes the car to move from the time you push the peddle down. It'll rev over 5k for solid second before it moves.

and I don't mean ease the peddle to the floor I mean slam that thing down like you hate it. which I don't recomend doing unless you are late for work and stuck behind a stopped bus. ](*,)

Latest posts

Members online