Noisy front end...please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zibbidibob

Reaction score
Ok, guys. So I've been looking through different posts around here about noisy front ends. It seemed most likely that what I was experiencing was due to the sway bar bushings needing to be replaced. I managed to shoot a video where it's making the noise while the steering wheel is turned back and forth. Other times, turning the wheel does not result in any sound. So far I can see no rhyme or reason to when it comes and when it goes. At first I thought it was due to air temp drops, (which is one reason I believed it to be sway bar bushings), but now it seems it's doing it even when it's warmer. I've had a hell of a time getting the Jeep to reproduce the sound while I'm able to get under it, finally caught it today. This is, of course, after I replaced the sway bar bushings (probably needed to be done anyway, but I sure wish it had solved the problem). To be clear, this video is only showing the passenger side, but the sound is coming from both sides simultaneously. Again, it is intermittent. Sometimes we'll drive all day long without a peep out of it. Other times it won't shut up. I'm thinking it's either the sway bar links, or the tie rods? I just can't tell exactly where the noise is coming from. What's confusing me now is that the sound is coming from both sides at the same time. To me it seems odd that the same part on both sides would go out at the same time... Any advice would be much appreciated. Here's a video I shot today, since sounds are just too hard to describe accurately with words https://youtu.be/kxiDYvLecLw

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that happen with steering? Is your steering rack leaking oil/grease by chance?

zibbidibob

Reaction score
I don't think it is. There aren't any spots in the driveway. The noise is coming from both sides, simultaneously. It's definitely coming from two distinct locations, and both of them are making the exact same noise. Are you thinking that the rack is leaking oil, which in turn is dripping down onto possibly some bushings, which is making them creak?

Edit: Yes, this happens with steering.

zibbidibob

Reaction score
So...hopefully I can revive this thread. Some updates:
1) Creaking noise is still happening off and on. It seems that changes in weather cause the noise to either come or go. Really no pattern to it i.e. the noise doesn't always happen when it gets cold, and go away when it gets warm, it just kind of comes sometimes and goes away for no apparent reason. When the noise IS there, it will be there from the very beginning of the day, and keep making creaking noises while turning the wheels all day.
2) I had my tires balanced and rotated the other day, and both front tires were very worn on the inside edge. I would say about a third of the inside tread is almost gone. My thought at that point was that there is definitely something wrong with the suspension. I did a little more research armed with the new knowledge of worn tires, and I decided it must be the Upper Control Arm/Bushings. I jacked the KJ up and took off the front tires to inspect the suspension again, but everything looked good. I used a pry bar to torque the UCA bushings. They gave a little bit, but it appeared to be normal. When they would move, it was against the bushing, and they would return to their original position when the pressure was relieved.
3) I also inspected all the other parts with bushings or ball joints, and they all seemed to be OK. Admittedly, I'm not really positive on how much play any of those joints should have. It seems to me that the ball joints shouldn't have any play, and that any joints with bushings should have some play, but should recoil to a "neutral" position whenever pressure is taken off. Is that correct?
4) The only thing I DID see that didn't seem right was the the boot on the ball joint that connects the knuckle to the Lower Control Arm was torn on the driver side. However, this noise is definitely coming from both sides, and the ball joint on the passenger side looked good.
5) I mentioned it in my original post, but just to re-iterate, I have replaced the sway bar bushings, as that was a very common issue I read about. It had no effect on the noise.
6) I also posted a link to this video in my original post, but here it is again. https://youtu.be/kxiDYvLecLw

Sorry for the novel, and thank you if you've made it through all of that. I would really love any thoughts or insight!

edit: Forgot to mention in reply to CzarKJ above, the power steering fluid does not seem to be leaking, and the reservoir is full.

Last edited:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ball joint isn't going to make that noise..nor will your sway bar links, even if improperly torqued.. if you're not leaking power steering, and it's coming from both sides simultaneously I'd say you're looking at the rack, the pinion itself or the alignment of the inner/outer tie rods.
There's definitely some sort of alignment issue if the tires are being cupped. Sounds to me like your camber could be off, and an alignment shop would definitely be the best place to tell you which alignment angles are out of spec, as well as which components are leading to the out of spec readings.
I mean shoot, even when my power steering pump went it made a heck of a groan and no assist loss.. but if that's distinctly coming from wheelwell area/bottom of the engine bay and not up towards the pump..
If it were my vehicle I would get it securely jacked up with the front wheels off the ground but the tires on and able to turn (with the body rested on jack stands of course) and see if i could get it to reproduce the sound..if I was able to, I'd have someone turn the wheel while I laid under and listened for if the noise came from the rack or where exactly..
But being that it's not my car I should suggest otherwise. See if it happens while turning the wheel and the key on/engine off.
If it creaks while turning the wheel with the engine off, obviously not a pump..if it only creaks when running.. look for further pump issue signs (pooling or stagnant fluid in the reservoir, power steering whine when under load, power assist loss/difficulty turning, etc.)..
Perhaps I'm heading the wrong direction, but Just my input.. keep us posted on any progress!

Last edited: