How do you change sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrinkenb

Reaction score
P0038 came up on my 2005 Jeep Liberty. P0038 - HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2 - can I order the sensor and fix myself? How expensive is this sensor and is this a vital sensor?
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of where this sensor is located? If I go to NAPA or something get one - do I just call it an O2 Sensor? Want to make sure I get the right one.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bank 1 = drivers side and sensor 2 is downstream (after the cat).

Probably an easy change but I never changed one on the KJ. I changed one on a GMC truck once. I had to get a o2 socket that is made specifically for o2 sensors.

Since it is the one after the cat I don't think it will affect your mpg.....open/closed loop operation but not sure. I don't know what the KJ o2 sensor costs.

Dave

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a bad job to do, you may need a special socket if you can't do it with a cresent wrench. It also can be a pain if it's rusted in there. A tip is to start the car, warm the exhaust up, shut the car off, and then remove. The warmth helps.

It shouldn't effect mileage as it's a downstream O2 - that's basically there to tell you if your catalytic converter is functioning properly. The upstream one is critical.

As for the part, I have bought them new for other vehicles off ebay and whatnot for $50-ish. Any auto parts store should have it or be able to get it. Just tell them it's the downstream O2 sensor for a Jeep Liberty.

Jrinkenb

Reaction score
If I'd want to change it myself - were exactally would it be located? A diagram would be helpful or a detailed explaination. Thanks for all the help!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop the hood on the KJ. Look at the exhaust manifold on the Driver's side. You'll see something that almost looks like a spark plug in the pipe. Slightly further down I think you'll see a larger cylinder-looking object that the pipe flows into - that's the catalytic converter. Keep following the pipe toward the rear of the vehicle (well, actually the driver's side will cross under the engine/transmission to join with the passenger side) and look for a similar-looking sensor in the driver's side pipe, after the catalytic converter.

Replacement is just unplug harness, unscrew old sensor, screw in new sensor, plug in harness.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice diagram!

So, you'd want to unplug at #2 and unscrew the sensor at #3.

The two hardest parts of the job are the sensor rusting into the pipe and not wanting to come out, and the location - you don't want it being smacked by something so they have it running almost straight up between the exhaust and the body in most cases.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0038 came up on my 2005 Jeep Liberty. P0038 - HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2 - can I order the sensor and fix myself? How expensive is this sensor and is this a vital sensor?
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of where this sensor is located? If I go to NAPA or something get one - do I just call it an O2 Sensor? Want to make sure I get the right one.

Strongly advise getting a Chilton's manual or something, or dig up some tutorials on Google. It's one of those things that isn't that hard, but might require (as noted above) an O2 sensor socket (slotted socket so the pigtail can come out while you turn it). o2 sensors are one of those things that should be changed every so often, but few people do until they fail completely.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting as it camer out of the '05 FSM. Guess they didn't feel the need to update the diagram :confused:
Yep the newer KJ's only have 2 cats which are on either side of the trans and the 2 pipes don't converge until after the the trans,and before the t-case.

A couple of pics borrowed from jeepjeepster for the newer style KJ exhuast.
You must be registered for see images attach

Now a pic of the '02 KJ's exhaust.

Last edited:

altspace

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm looking for any information regarding the removal of the bank2 sensor2 O2 sensor which is located on the passenger side after the cat. It seems to be a very tight fit since the sensor is facing upward and there's virtually no room to get the tool inside and turn it. I am thinking that the exhaust flange after the cat needs to be disconnected and then maybe the pipe could be pulled down a little? My only issue with that is that the bolts are almost completely rusted and I'd rather not try it if not needed.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to look this weekend, but I could almost swear my '07 is more like the '02. I must be wrong, but I'll have to check to preserve my sanity.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't really say either way. Can you get an adjustable or cresent wrench up there and see if it turns? You wouldn't want to strip out the corners of the hex, but it may be worth a shot.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep the newer KJ's only have 2 cats which are on either side of the trans and the 2 pipes don't converge until after the the trans,and before the t-case.

A couple of pics borrowed from jeepjeepster for the newer style KJ exhuast.

Now a pic of the '02 KJ's exhaust.

Where would bank 1 sensor 2 be located on '05. I know it is after the cat drivers side, but I don't see anything in the pictures. Haven't had a look underneath yet, but I got P0138 code when my CEL came on the other day. See the part on autozone for $24 so was hoping to replace myself. Thanks

Bosch/Oxygen Sensor (15510) | 2005 Jeep Liberty 4WD 6 Cylinders K 3.7L MFI SOHC | AutoZone.com

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where would bank 1 sensor 2 be located on '05. I know it is after the cat drivers side, but I don't see anything in the pictures. Haven't had a look underneath yet, but I got P0138 code when my CEL came on the other day. See the part on autozone for $24 so was hoping to replace myself. Thanks

Bosch/Oxygen Sensor (15510) | 2005 Jeep Liberty 4WD 6 Cylinders K 3.7L MFI SOHC | AutoZone.com

It will be on the opposite side of the firewall from the brake pedal. Crawl under the Jeep on the driver's side behind the front wheel and look at the exhaust pipe coming from the left side of the engine. The O2 sensor will be on the upper side of the cat converter downpipe.

WARNING: Do NOT use a Bosch O2 sensor! They are known to cause more problems with the KJ than the original issue. Go with an OEM sensor to save yourself grief later on.

Let us know how it turns out!

Bob

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blue gloves are covering the rear oxygen sensors. This is from my '05.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The CEL in fact came off a day or so later. I located the sensor when changing my oil last wknd. If it comes back on I guess I'll swap it out.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That image is for '02 KJ's only,later model years will look very different.

Early build '03s are like that too. 1BADKJ's is like that. I noticed when we changed out my T-Case end CV joint on the front drive shaft and changed his right after.