Anybody ever lowered a liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gf has a 02 sport and she is always worried about it rolling, though ive told her she would have to try pretty hard to do it she always sees the sticker and freaks out (like a woman driver would). so i was going to get some 255/65r16s for it to give it a little better stance but does anybody know of a lowering kit for them? thanks in advance

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of one. You could always put wheel spacers on but, then you might get rubbing in tight corners. Could probably put them just on the back without too many issues, though.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If she rides it nice, it won't roll. If she is worried, maybe the dealer can lower it a bit to match 04+ (factory lowered). You have a way of lowering your KJ without any problems, about half to 1 inch.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Havn't heard of a "lowering kit".

All SUV types have those stickers so if you took her to any dealer and showed them to her and explained it to her maby she will realize it's on all of them.

The 02 models were about 3/4 of an inch higher in front and an inch higher in the rear when they first started making them. Then half way through the model year they were lowered to what they are now. I was under the impression that this was accomplished by using different springs. I think this was done around August of 02 (not positive). So, if it was a pre-lowered 02 model you might be able to lower it to the "lowered height" by changing the springs. Check the drivers door sticker for the mfg date. Someone with an 02 hopefully will chime in. Those 255 width tires might rub at full lock. Some people are running 245/70/16 with no issues at stock height.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ's where factory lowered by 3/4" in april '02.And in gods name why would you want to lower a 4x4,a Jeep no lesswtf.gif ? If your afraid of rolling time to get a car.By the way search on car domain,there are some lowered KJ's(R.I.P.).

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gf has a 02 sport and she is always worried about it rolling, though ive told her she would have to try pretty hard to do it she always sees the sticker and freaks out (like a woman driver would). so i was going to get some 255/65r16s for it to give it a little better stance but does anybody know of a lowering kit for them? thanks in advance

Simple solution: remove the sticker...lol :D No sticker, no risk of rolling.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea id have to look into those tires and see. i can maybe mount one on the spare and try it, i work at a tire place so i shouldnt have a problem doing that. and i dont mean lower like drag the frame just like an inch or so, to give her better piece of mind. and ive told her that all they all say that but she still worries. and ill have to check about the build date on it im not sure off the top of my head.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just lift it and tell her the setting for the 02 is now defunct and she doesn't have to worry about the 02 prelowered issue anymore. Next step, find a new gf after she slams the door. LOL!

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i tried a 255/65 today, it fit on the rim fine and the only little problem was that at full lock in reverse it rubbed by the fog light trap door, thats hard turned in reverse. so they fit without a problem, didnt have time to try a rear but if they fit on front they should on the rear. still didnt look at build date. i wonder if there is any way to get chrysler to pay for the springs because its kind of like a recall. oh well if not the tires will have to be good enough.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok it was built in april of 02 so when was the cutoff? or is it april and before had the taller springs? and also the door says the tire size for it is the 215/75r16 but its got 235 70s so i think somebody switched tire sizes at some point too but it only had 60k when she got it so it shouldnt have really needed tires before that. i dont know, im getting the 255s and is it pre lowered or not? thanks

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok it was built in april of 02 so when was the cutoff? or is it april and before had the taller springs? and also the door says the tire size for it is the 215/75r16 but its got 235 70s so i think somebody switched tire sizes at some point too but it only had 60k when she got it so it shouldnt have really needed tires before that. i dont know, im getting the 255s and is it pre lowered or not? thanks

Sounds like its's a pre-lowered to me. Typically cutoff is June unless it's a pilot builds that Chrysler usually wants (we make plenty of them from May-July before model year roll over).

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just go pull it up to an 03+ liberty and see if its any higher. Easy way to find one is go to a DC dealer and park it beside a new liberty and see if its any higher. If its not then you know you got the lowered one.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yeah, tjkj2002 is right, April 02, 2002 was the date they switched springs on us and lowered the poor-already-too-darn-low-from-the-beginning KJ an inch. (give or take a quarter, lol).

The only reason why the date is exactly known is because of a DCX Press Release.

I got sick and tired of looking at that sticker myself, so I covered it up with a CD visor. That's pretty much the ONLY reason why I bought it. The ability to store CDs is an added plus. :)

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how do i find out what date in april? just so i know for sure because tire size and that kink of stuff will make a diffrence in height too

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02' was prelowered. Never ever felt like it was gonna roll. Now it's lifted and still doesn't feel like it'll ever roll, unless of course i tried to do it intentially.;)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
so how do i find out what date in april? just so i know for sure because tire size and that kink of stuff will make a diffrence in height too

Check with any dealer. They might be able to tell. Give them the last 8 digets of the vin# and they will get a build sheet off the computer. It takes 30 seconds and is free. It might show the build date.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online