Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > General Forums > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Anybody ever lowered a liberty

This is a discussion on Anybody ever lowered a liberty within the Frequently Asked Questions forums, part of the General Forums category!
My gf has a 02 sport and she is always worried about it rolling, though ive told her she would ...

Contains many popular questions. Check this forum first before posting in the general forum.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 01:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AJK381
Default Anybody ever lowered a liberty

My gf has a 02 sport and she is always worried about it rolling, though ive told her she would have to try pretty hard to do it she always sees the sticker and freaks out (like a woman driver would). so i was going to get some 255/65r16s for it to give it a little better stance but does anybody know of a lowering kit for them? thanks in advance
AJK381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Never heard of one. You could always put wheel spacers on but, then you might get rubbing in tight corners. Could probably put them just on the back without too many issues, though.

There are few things in life the liberal application of duct tape can't solve.
K Dje Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

If she rides it nice, it won't roll. If she is worried, maybe the dealer can lower it a bit to match 04+ (factory lowered). You have a way of lowering your KJ without any problems, about half to 1 inch.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Administrator

Havn't heard of a "lowering kit".

All SUV types have those stickers so if you took her to any dealer and showed them to her and explained it to her maby she will realize it's on all of them.

The 02 models were about 3/4 of an inch higher in front and an inch higher in the rear when they first started making them. Then half way through the model year they were lowered to what they are now. I was under the impression that this was accomplished by using different springs. I think this was done around August of 02 (not positive). So, if it was a pre-lowered 02 model you might be able to lower it to the "lowered height" by changing the springs. Check the drivers door sticker for the mfg date. Someone with an 02 hopefully will chime in. Those 255 width tires might rub at full lock. Some people are running 245/70/16 with no issues at stock height.

Dave

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

The KJ's where factory lowered by 3/4" in april '02.And in gods name why would you want to lower a 4x4,a Jeep no less ? If your afraid of rolling time to get a car.By the way search on car domain,there are some lowered KJ's(R.I.P.).
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by AJK381 View Post
My gf has a 02 sport and she is always worried about it rolling, though ive told her she would have to try pretty hard to do it she always sees the sticker and freaks out (like a woman driver would). so i was going to get some 255/65r16s for it to give it a little better stance but does anybody know of a lowering kit for them? thanks in advance
Simple solution: remove the sticker...lol No sticker, no risk of rolling.

Current Mods:
OME MD Lift w/Ranchos, ARB Bumper, Firestone A/T on Cragars, Optima Red Top, Flowmaster Super 44, Hella 500's
jeepkj02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

yea id have to look into those tires and see. i can maybe mount one on the spare and try it, i work at a tire place so i shouldnt have a problem doing that. and i dont mean lower like drag the frame just like an inch or so, to give her better piece of mind. and ive told her that all they all say that but she still worries. and ill have to check about the build date on it im not sure off the top of my head.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

yea i told her id do that but she didnt fall for it, lol
Old 05-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Tokyojoe1965

Just lift it and tell her the setting for the 02 is now defunct and she doesn't have to worry about the 02 prelowered issue anymore. Next step, find a new gf after she slams the door. LOL!
Tokyojoe1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well i tried a 255/65 today, it fit on the rim fine and the only little problem was that at full lock in reverse it rubbed by the fog light trap door, thats hard turned in reverse. so they fit without a problem, didnt have time to try a rear but if they fit on front they should on the rear. still didnt look at build date. i wonder if there is any way to get chrysler to pay for the springs because its kind of like a recall. oh well if not the tires will have to be good enough.