'02 3.7 Spun Bearing - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doughhead

Reaction score
Hi:

Evidently my '02 3.7L Liberty Unlimited spun a lower bearing and is dead. I was not mistreating my Lib. Out of warranty. 115k miles. Automatic, Selec-Trac.
Dealer and another mechanic tell me I need a remand long block. No used engine assy to be found. So... Big $'s.

Has anyone else heard of this as an issue? Any TSB.'s? Advice?

As I consider to fix or not and move on, are there any other know major issues I may face in the future? Transfercase or Transmission issues for example? My Lib is otherwise in good shape.

All info and opinions plz.

BTW. Great forums. Thx.

D.

Doughhead

Reaction score
Not a common issue unless you failed to change the oil at normal OCI's or let the level fall to low(leaks,extended OCI's).

Time for a remaned engine or sell as is for dirt cheap.
--------------------------------------------
Thanks TjKj,

Did regular oil changes and levels. The remand engine shop has said he has seen a lot with the '02's and '03's. Even the dealer hinted at it.

What about any other major issues, if I decide to bit the bullet and do a long block? It's transm and tranfer etc I am concerned with going forward.

Thx.

D.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------
Thanks TjKj,

Did regular oil changes and levels. The remand engine shop has said he has seen a lot with the '02's and '03's. Even the dealer hinted at it.

What about any other major issues, if I decide to bit the bullet and do a long block? It's transm and tranfer etc I am concerned with going forward.

Thx.

D.
Well since '02's and '03's are older and many have high mileage it will be more common to see them compared to a '06 or '07,twice as many '02 where built also compared to newer KJ's.Still it's not a common issue.

If you have had your trans and t-case serviced regularly(30k trans,60k t-case) and used the correct fluid(ATF+4) then they should last a long time,but anything can happen when ever it's wants to so it is just a gamble.

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 02 kj rene also that i bought with a blown motor (spun bearing, broken rod off the piston, and cracked block) and i did ALOT of research when i decided to just take 2 motors and rebuilt my own... not sure of you mechanical expertise is but i was able to buy another junk yard motor with a broken valve (also common problem on the the 02,03) and rebuild my own using all the good major parts of the 2 and just re gasketed and rebearinged, new timing set and rings and now i have almost 4000 miles on my new motor and runs great!!! all for just under $1000..... less than a 1/3 for a reman and about 1/2 of a junkyard motor that you could get and still have probles out of...

Doughhead

Reaction score
i have an 02 kj rene also that i bought with a blown motor (spun bearing, broken rod off the piston, and cracked block) and i did ALOT of research when i decided to just take 2 motors and rebuilt my own... not sure of you mechanical expertise is but i was able to buy another junk yard motor with a broken valve (also common problem on the the 02,03) and rebuild my own using all the good major parts of the 2 and just re gasketed and rebearinged, new timing set and rings and now i have almost 4000 miles on my new motor and runs great!!! all for just under $1000..... less than a 1/3 for a reman and about 1/2 of a junkyard motor that you could get and still have probles out of...

Thx. Yes. I have decided NOT to do a used running eng assy, even if I could find one. Just taking on more unknowns.

Rebuilding myself sounds like an interesting way to go. I will see if any non running blocks are about. My skills are OK, (Oil changes, brakes, etc, good with electrics) but I am sure they will be pushed to the limit. I do have a couple of friends with more grease under their nails than me.

Did you use a Haynes or Chilton manual? Online sources?

Thx

D.

Last edited:

Doughhead

Reaction score
Well since '02's and '03's are older and many have high mileage it will be more common to see them compared to a '06 or '07,twice as many '02 where built also compared to newer KJ's.Still it's not a common issue.

If you have had your trans and t-case serviced regularly(30k trans,60k t-case) and used the correct fluid(ATF+4) then they should last a long time,but anything can happen when ever it's wants to so it is just a gamble.

Major services all done at the dealer. Oil changes either by me or at an oil change franchise.
Thx. D.

daedaestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used an off the shelf el cheapo haynes manual for torque specs and for setting up the taiming chains... but it did have straight forward info if your not all tht experienced

dljacko

Reaction score
I am just reading this and it seems the same problem my mechanic thought I had with my 2005 model, but it turned out to be a snapped camshaft. He originally told me that when he worked at the dealers they had quite a few with spun bearings ( although many forum "experts" have told me that it is almost impossible) because the oil galleries are so damn small they block easily. Mine snapped a RHS cam because the rear two bearings seized from lack of oil. When I stripped the old motor down I found quite a lot of hardened gunk blocking oil holes in the heads.
What I do now is, once a year change the oil and use diesel oil of the same grade for about 3000kms, then do a normal oil and filter change and that seems to drag a lot of sludge out (only done it twice so far) but I wish I had done it on the 2005 one before it cost me big bucks.

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread is high on Google index so I'm posting here. The main bearings are great on the 2002-2007 Liberty. The two oil pumps are just awful. They go out somehow giving zero-pressure and this in turn heats and breaks your bearings. DTC never thrown.

If you're lucky it doesn't scratch the shaft and you can just clean things and swap the bearings from the oil pan without even removing the engine.

Something I've noticed: Oil pumps go out, bearings go to pieces, and splash shield jams oil pan. Shaft and other things usually get scratched beyond repair even if it just goes 50 feet after.

Scrap yard pulled engine $1,200.. Rebuild service $1,700-$3,800.. Build from multiple scrap engines high-risk and still only hundreds less at best assuming they don't have bad major parts. Used liberty with 4x4 and 150k $2,500-$5,200.

If you're going to do it on your own you'll need a shop or garage which also cost money. Unless you happen to have a tractor or big tree and hoist around to pull the engine. A cherry picker is useless on anything but surfaced concrete.

Last edited:

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a crank kit from rockauto that includes crankshaft & bearings for about $250.00 + shipping . I have an 02 that spun a rod bearing & scoured the crankshaft . I had a good 05 block laying around & swapped the crank out of it into the 02 with new bearings . Had to swap reluctor rings . Runs like a top .
Lot of labor involved & will be expensive if you pay to get a crank kit installed .

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get a crank kit from rockauto that includes crankshaft & bearings for about $250.00 + shipping . I have an 02 that spun a rod bearing & scoured the crankshaft . I had a good 05 block laying around & swapped the crank out of it into the 02 with new bearings . Had to swap reluctor rings . Runs like a top .
Lot of labor involved & will be expensive if you pay to get a crank kit installed .

I just ordered that RA crank kit for my 02. Hopefully it'll work. :gr_grin:

Latest posts

Members online