What most everyone forgets to do after installing a lift kit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading when it comes to lift kits. And form what I can tell not one of them tell you that you need to do a redo of the preload on all your pivot bushings. Upper and lower control arms, torsion bar, and rear link arms. If you don't you leave you bushings in a loaded position after the lift. This causes poor handling and a rougher ride. Plus it wears the bushings out much quicker. Also. Most everyone forgets about the torsion bar end links. You (meaning anyone who has put a lift kit on) just raised your suspension 2+ inches. And you use the factory length link. Know when the you lower the vehicle your torsion bar is now loaded. This deffently will give a harsher ride than factory. One needs to put on longer end links to put the torsion bar back at a pre loaded position. I think some people know this and don't complain about the ride because they've done it While others just slap on the kit. Then moan the whole time about the poor ride.
Watch "Control Arm Bushing Preload, Important Information!" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/-QczV_6v42A

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading when it comes to lift kits. And form what I can tell not one of them tell you that you need to do a redo of the preload on all your pivot bushings. Upper and lower control arms, torsion bar, and rear link arms. If you don't you leave you bushings in a loaded position after the lift. This causes poor handling and a rougher ride. Plus it wears the bushings out much quicker. Also. Most everyone forgets about the torsion bar end links. You (meaning anyone who has put a lift kit on) just raised your suspension 2+ inches. And you use the factory length link. Know when the you lower the vehicle your torsion bar is now loaded. This deffently will give a harsher ride than factory. One needs to put on longer end links to put the torsion bar back at a pre loaded position. I think some people know this and don't complain about the ride because they've done it While others just slap on the kit. Then moan the whole time about the poor ride.
Watch "Control Arm Bushing Preload, Important Information!" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/-QczV_6v42A

I assume you have not been under a KJ nor have you not installed any springs/ shocks etc as of yet. Over 30 plus lifts installed on KJs and have not once had to deal with any torsion bars :whip:

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Ment sway bar. Been up for 27 hrs when I posted this . Plus anybody with any common sense would have figured that out when they read end links after it.

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy I'm a d@ck when I'm tired. Sorry your right. But I did mean sway bar.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry. Ment sway bar. Been up for 27 hrs when I posted this . Plus anybody with any common sense would have figured that out when they read end links after it.

We do nothing to the sway bar either, no need to at the height we go
My 04 has over 198,000 lifted miles, most in and over 4 inches
Sway bar bushings are still stock from day one and in good shape, do not run extended links either , no need to

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not turning this into a spark plug/ oil/ oil filter/ air cleaner debate either :happy175:
Thanks for the info

rknight68

Reaction score
thanks for the tip on tightening while on the ground to set the preload instead of in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This isn't specific just to lift kits. You also want to do preloaded suspension tightening on stock 2wd control arms, leaf springs, etc. It's a universal "what one should know" thing when replacing suspension bushings.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.....guess all of these years we have been installing KJ lifts wrong. Better sell both of mine for cheap before get dystroyed

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk