Tires After New Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the tire size that I can go after doing my OME lift? Reason I am asking is I won a free set of tires (up to $800) at a Jeep event BBQ last night, so while I got fairly new tires now I will buy for after the lift is completed.......

Also is it better to go with a diff wheel size? 17's?
Thanks, I did search and read a ton but did not see the answer.....

Jim

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the tire size that I can go after doing my OME lift? Reason I am asking is I won a free set of tires (up to $800) at a Jeep event BBQ last night, so while I got fairly new tires now I will buy for after the lift is completed.......

Also is it better to go with a diff wheel size? 17's?
Thanks, I did search and read a ton but did not see the answer.....

Jim

Depends on the amount of lift you are doing for one
and TWO if you are going to regear
Stay with 16s , you can " get by " with 245-75-16s or 265-70-16s ( same height) on stock gearing but you will feel it in less power and gas mileage
( I run 265-70-16s on my daily with 4.10s perfect combo )
But anything larger need to regear
If you regear then can go larger with more lift
I posted pics of 2 of mine on that " other place" I found you LOL

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running 245/70R16's and always will due to the fact they look fine lifted and don't kill the jeep in terms of power. I upgraded to 4.10's just because I wanted the jeep to be more within the power curve.

The Lizard King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone from the local tire shop convinced my father-in-law (when he was alive and owned my 2003 KJ) to buy four 225/75R16s, instead of the stock 235/70R16s that they replaced. So now I have narrower with a slightly larger diameter (0.3") tires, but my spare is still the original stock 235/70R16 tire.

Whenever the current tires need replacing, I'll make sure that the new tires are the stock size. I have no idea why my father-in-law chose the narrower tires (gas mileage? price? IDK!).

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing 2.5" lift.....Was not planning on regear but...LOL

I currently have 245-70-16's, which are 29.5" or a smidge more and they was fine (no rub) stock and I just figured 2.5" lift I could get a bit taller tires to get a bit more clearance for the diff's...So now I got to weigh how much more will I gain vs the cost of regearing. About how much does that run?

Maybe tall skinnys would be even better to get, more height and less meat in the wheel wells?

Man Tom every time I read the truth from you it costs me more money :) But doing right is cheaper in the long run.....

Jim

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone from the local tire shop convinced my father-in-law (when he was alive and owned my 2003 KJ) to buy four 225/75R16s, instead of the stock 235/70R16s that they replaced. So now I have narrower with a slightly larger diameter (0.3") tires, but my spare is still the original stock 235/70R16 tire.

Whenever the current tires need replacing, I'll make sure that the new tires are the stock size. I have no idea why my father-in-law chose the narrower tires (gas mileage? price? IDK!).

Dude, your wife (avatar) keeps staring at me.......

Jim

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Doing 2.5" lift.....Was not planning on regear but...LOL

I currently have 245-70-16's, which are 29.5" or a smidge more and they was fine (no rub) stock and I just figured 2.5" lift I could get a bit taller tires to get a bit more clearance for the diff's...So now I got to weigh how much more will I gain vs the cost of regearing. About how much does that run?

Maybe tall skinnys would be even better to get, more height and less meat in the wheel wells?

Man Tom every time I read the truth from you it costs me more money :) But doing right is cheaper in the long run.....

Jim

Doing it right in the long run is cheaper and better, of course everytime I post that on Fakebook I get called out for being a A**HOLE like todays one post on bumpers :happy175::happy175:

But running taller tires with stock gearing is ******* both the motor and transmission

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom,
No lie, my wife now is putting you down a tiny bit because I keep quoting you to her and all she sees is me spending more money....it really is funny you get grief on the boards for telling the facts and now women across America are grumbling cause husbands are going "Tom online said I MUST regear, he knows everything, I had no idea I had to get new gears, I sure wish I didnt have to (wink wink)"

Jim

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom,
No lie, my wife now is putting you down a tiny bit because I keep quoting you to her and all she sees is me spending more money....it really is funny you get grief on the boards for telling the facts and now women across America are grumbling cause husbands are going "Tom online said I MUST regear, he knows everything, I had no idea I had to get new gears, I sure wish I didnt have to (wink wink)"

Jim

Well you don't have to , but transmission will shift more often and run hotter and motor will be lugging down more unless you kick the OD off more often. Some do it , but.......
And finding a 4 cylinder is a cheaper way to do it, have done quit a few that way, pull front and rear diffs and swap them over

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My full 4.10 deal was expensive. I would figure on 1000 for the whole thing. For my jeep I went way way over board and got a eaton electronic locker up front and eaton true trac in the rear.

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you don't have to , but transmission will shift more often and run hotter and motor will be lugging down more unless you kick the OD off more often. Some do it , but.......
And finding a 4 cylinder is a cheaper way to do it, have done quit a few that way, pull front and rear diffs and swap them over

4cyl has 4.10?

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4cyl has 4.10?

Yes, so you can just swap front diff/rear axle and be good to go.

If you want to add lockers then I would suggest you just get new gears and redo your current diffs.

Juggar

Reaction score
Theres just no way it can be worth it to swap 3.73's for 4.10's unless you can do the work yourself. Suppose it all depends on ones skill set.

It was worth it when I changed my 2013 mustang from 2.73 to 3.73 but I seriously doubt someones engine or trans will explode from very slightly larger tires.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Theres just no way it can be worth it to swap 3.73's for 4.10's unless you can do the work yourself. Suppose it all depends on ones skill set.

It was worth it when I changed my 2013 mustang from 2.73 to 3.73 but I seriously doubt someones engine or trans will explode from very slightly larger tires.

LOL, ok its harder on the transmissions, harder on the motors since they run hotter, cost ya more at the pump . Figure at least 6-7 MPG loss with 32s and stock gearing. Shifts way way more.
So its a great upgrade, just like better tires, good lifts etc .
Been upgrading4x4s for over 40 years and everyone got regeared of mine and friends, built it right.
And please do tell why it was worth it on a mustang but not a KJ , inquiring minds want to know

Last edited:

Juggar

Reaction score
LOL, ok its harder on the transmissions, harder on the motors since they run hotter, cost ya more at the pump . Figure at least 6-7 MPG loss with 32s and stock gearing. Shifts way way more.
So its a great upgrade, just like better tires, good lifts etc .
Been upgrading4x4s for over 40 years and everyone got regeared of mine and friends, built it right.
And please do tell why it was worth it on a mustang but not a KJ , inquiring minds want to know

Simple, there is only one axle on a mustang which cuts cost nearly in half. That and the gear ratio change from 2.73 to 3.73 is a much larger difference than 3.73 to 4.10. Also cut off over a second 0-60 on that mustang. Jeep honestly seems OK with 3.73 and 245 75 R16.

That said, if I could get the gears for super cheap and had the ability, sure id change over to 4.10. Not sure how many labor hours my shop would charge me. I feel like, for it to be financially worth it, id need to go to something higher like 4.56.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Simple, there is only one axle on a mustang which cuts cost nearly in half. That and the gear ratio change from 2.73 to 3.73 is a much larger difference than 3.73 to 4.10. Also cut off over a second 0-60 on that mustang. Jeep honestly seems OK with 3.73 and 245 75 R16.

That said, if I could get the gears for super cheap and had the ability, sure id change over to 4.10. Not sure how many labor hours my shop would charge me. I feel like, for it to be financially worth it, id need to go to something higher like 4.56.

You've never ridden in a KJ that has been regeared I can assume from what you are posting.
My 04 when I went to 32s , couldn't even use it with out the OD off. Went from 20-21 at highway speed to 14-15 at best and needed Grandma to push at any hill. That lasted a week, a regear to only 4.10s brought the pep back, got back my mileage and was way more fun again. Over 100,000 miles later it had paid for itself many times over.
Now my 03 I only went with the 2.5 inch JBA coilover lift, 265-70-16s and did a couple of trips before the 4.10s . 125 -130 miles to my parents driven the road 1000's of times over the last 50 years. The 03 with the 30.6 inch tall tires and stock gearing shifted over 30 times. Next trip I had regeared and it shifted only one time.
NOW to my little brain, thats way better on both the motor and transmission plus more mileage. Now in no way am I a rocket genius but doesn't take much knowledge to know thats way better. These motors like to be would up a bit, if they get down into the 1500-1700 RPM range they are a dog.
Oh and 4.56s work great with 32s, 4.10s work best with 265-70-16s and 245-75-16s ( same height)

As I've stated 4 bangers have 4.10s, I've picked up both front and rears for under 350 bucks. I have 2 full sets here waiting and don't have over 800 in both sets. No not for sale, still have another KJ waiting to be built and my Step fathers will be after that one

I'm down in Winston Salem NC quite often ( my wife is a Professor at a University down there ) , meet you have way and give ya ride sometime so you can experience

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4:10's were definitely a great upgrade when I went to 245's on the tires. I got back the power I lost along with fuel mileage lost. It was also nice to smoke some Jeep Wranglers that were running a bigger tire but hadn't re-geared.:gr_grin: