Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > Lift Kit Discussion

Lift Kit Discussion

Tires After New Lift?

This is a discussion on Tires After New Lift? within the Lift Kit Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
What is the tire size that I can go after doing my OME lift? Reason I am asking is I ...

Discuss all the different types of lifts and which is right for you.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2018, 06:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tires After New Lift?

What is the tire size that I can go after doing my OME lift? Reason I am asking is I won a free set of tires (up to $800) at a Jeep event BBQ last night, so while I got fairly new tires now I will buy for after the lift is completed.......

Also is it better to go with a diff wheel size? 17's?
Thanks, I did search and read a ton but did not see the answer.....

Jim
Old 04-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Originally Posted by sleepyjim View Post
What is the tire size that I can go after doing my OME lift? Reason I am asking is I won a free set of tires (up to $800) at a Jeep event BBQ last night, so while I got fairly new tires now I will buy for after the lift is completed.......

Also is it better to go with a diff wheel size? 17's?
Thanks, I did search and read a ton but did not see the answer.....

Jim
Depends on the amount of lift you are doing for one
and TWO if you are going to regear
Stay with 16s , you can " get by " with 245-75-16s or 265-70-16s ( same height) on stock gearing but you will feel it in less power and gas mileage
( I run 265-70-16s on my daily with 4.10s perfect combo )
But anything larger need to regear
If you regear then can go larger with more lift
I posted pics of 2 of mine on that " other place" I found you LOL
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am running 245/70R16's and always will due to the fact they look fine lifted and don't kill the jeep in terms of power. I upgraded to 4.10's just because I wanted the jeep to be more within the power curve.
tommudd and wheeee32 like this.
800 Watt Inverter with custom face plate, winter renegade rims, Ziebart undercoating, Diehard Platinum, interior lights for back seat, back up camera and backup lights, DRL's, front facing work lights, Train horn, Heated mirrors, MB Quart OA800.4 amp, rear fog lights, Full skid plates, cb radio, OME medium duty lift, DIY extreme ported and polished throttle body.
renegade 04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Someone from the local tire shop convinced my father-in-law (when he was alive and owned my 2003 KJ) to buy four 225/75R16s, instead of the stock 235/70R16s that they replaced. So now I have narrower with a slightly larger diameter (0.3") tires, but my spare is still the original stock 235/70R16 tire.

Whenever the current tires need replacing, I'll make sure that the new tires are the stock size. I have no idea why my father-in-law chose the narrower tires (gas mileage? price? IDK!).
The Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

They were a factory size on some KJs.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Doing 2.5" lift.....Was not planning on regear but...LOL

I currently have 245-70-16's, which are 29.5" or a smidge more and they was fine (no rub) stock and I just figured 2.5" lift I could get a bit taller tires to get a bit more clearance for the diff's...So now I got to weigh how much more will I gain vs the cost of regearing. About how much does that run?

Maybe tall skinnys would be even better to get, more height and less meat in the wheel wells?

Man Tom every time I read the truth from you it costs me more money But doing right is cheaper in the long run.....

Jim
Old 04-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
Someone from the local tire shop convinced my father-in-law (when he was alive and owned my 2003 KJ) to buy four 225/75R16s, instead of the stock 235/70R16s that they replaced. So now I have narrower with a slightly larger diameter (0.3") tires, but my spare is still the original stock 235/70R16 tire.

Whenever the current tires need replacing, I'll make sure that the new tires are the stock size. I have no idea why my father-in-law chose the narrower tires (gas mileage? price? IDK!).
Dude, your wife (avatar) keeps staring at me.......

Jim
Old 04-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Doing 2.5" lift.....Was not planning on regear but...LOL

I currently have 245-70-16's, which are 29.5" or a smidge more and they was fine (no rub) stock and I just figured 2.5" lift I could get a bit taller tires to get a bit more clearance for the diff's...So now I got to weigh how much more will I gain vs the cost of regearing. About how much does that run?

Maybe tall skinnys would be even better to get, more height and less meat in the wheel wells?

Man Tom every time I read the truth from you it costs me more money But doing right is cheaper in the long run.....

Jim
Doing it right in the long run is cheaper and better, of course everytime I post that on Fakebook I get called out for being a A**HOLE like todays one post on bumpers

But running taller tires with stock gearing is hard on both the motor and transmission
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
Old 04-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Tom,
No lie, my wife now is putting you down a tiny bit because I keep quoting you to her and all she sees is me spending more money....it really is funny you get grief on the boards for telling the facts and now women across America are grumbling cause husbands are going "Tom online said I MUST regear, he knows everything, I had no idea I had to get new gears, I sure wish I didnt have to (wink wink)"

Jim
Old 04-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tom,
No lie, my wife now is putting you down a tiny bit because I keep quoting you to her and all she sees is me spending more money....it really is funny you get grief on the boards for telling the facts and now women across America are grumbling cause husbands are going "Tom online said I MUST regear, he knows everything, I had no idea I had to get new gears, I sure wish I didnt have to (wink wink)"

Jim
Well you don't have to , but transmission will shift more often and run hotter and motor will be lugging down more unless you kick the OD off more often. Some do it , but.......
And finding a 4 cylinder is a cheaper way to do it, have done quit a few that way, pull front and rear diffs and swap them over
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
05 Limited/stock for now