Rear ball joint riser?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

festerfm

Reaction score
I've been working on a 07 with a six-speed manual. I should probably start out by saying I am normally a car guy. I've never installed anything that has to do with a lift before but I understand the concept. The guy who owns this Jeep carries a lot of weight in the back of the Jeep all the time and the rear was sagging so about two years ago we installed higher lift springs just in the rear and with the higher Springs and the heavy load in the back of the Jeep, a Jeep rode flat. About a year after we put those Springs in, the rear upper control arm took a crap. Both bushings connected to the frame were bad so we ordered a new one and I installed it. It lasted about 8 months before the bushings were destroyed again. So I ordered a new rear upper control arm. He also bought a cheap lift kit for the Jeep also. It was a 2 and 1/2 in Spring spacers for the rear Plus spacers for the top of the struts in front. We installed the lift on Friday this week and the new rear upper control arm came yesterday. So I just went to put the new control arm in the rear and noticed how once it was installed there was a already a lot of twisting force on the bushings on the frame. We had to pull the body down while pushing up on the drive shaft to get ball joint installed. And then I saw how twisted bushings were after everything was installed. I will attach pictures if I can after I'm done posting this. It made me wonder if there is a new ball joint mount that bolts onto the differential and raises up where the ball joint connects to the diff so that Boomerang looking control arm stays more flat and the bushings aren't already being torqued on. It seems like that would make sense and raising the mount a few inches above the rear diff would probably keep control of the rear differential better than the stock one since there would be more leverage. And by the way this whole thing was typed out using my phone's voice text feature. So if anything seems weird is probably because my voice text hates me. Also I just tried uploading a couple pictures but they're way too big. I will have to scale them down and upload them in replies

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Spacer lift, worn out springs :happy175:
Not even going any further :emotions34:
Plus at maybe just guessing at 2-2.5 inches of lift you should not need anything
But like I stated, worst thing to EVER do to a KJ is put a spacer lift on
You've got problems and will continue to have issues until its done right
Start out with good parts
Mopar tri-link not just junk bushings
OME springs and either OME or Bistein shocks etc

Jeepinbyal makes an extender but like I've stated you have other issues that a bandaid will not fix
Y Link Extension fits 2.5" - 4" lifts
1 Review(s)
$68.58

With spacers/ worn out springs and shocks it will cause more wear on suspension parts

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the JBA Y-link extension to deal with upper arm angle. It's better than changing ripped bushings every 2 months.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The OPs problem starts with worn out springs/ spacer lift, worn shocks etc
Then with all of that extra movement, bounce etc they need to start at the basics and build from there to have a good over all ride and handling
As far as the " ball joint riser " as he calls it, may help a bit but there are other issues first