Ready to pull the lift trigger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ghostrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am ready to order lift parts to install while I replace other worn out suspension pieces and want to make sure I haven't missed anything before I do.

JBA Upper control arms for lifted KJ

OME2927 Springs / 90009 Struts
OME2948 Springs / N132L Long Shocks

JBA Strut Spacer Plate Set

TeraFlex Bump Stops

Clevis Spacer 0.250"

JBA Y Link Extension fits 2.5" - 4" lifts

1 added set of rear upper coil spring isolators

If I have read correctly, this should put me at 3.5" above factory height, correct? Or do I need another set of isolators for the rear?

Is there any reason to not reuse the original top strut mounts and f/r isolators?

Thanks,

Marty

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am ready to order lift parts to install while I replace other worn out suspension pieces and want to make sure I haven't missed anything before I do.

JBA Upper control arms for lifted KJ

OME2927 Springs / 90009 Struts
OME2948 Springs / N132L Long Shocks

JBA Strut Spacer Plate Set

TeraFlex Bump Stops

Clevis Spacer 0.250"

JBA Y Link Extension fits 2.5" - 4" lifts

1 added set of rear upper coil spring isolators

If I have read correctly, this should put me at 3.5" above factory height, correct? Or do I need another set of isolators for the rear?

Is there any reason to not reuse the original top strut mounts and f/r isolators?

Thanks,

Marty

at that height you will have spring/ UCA contact or real close to it
What size tires are you planning on afterwards?

ghostrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at that height you will have spring/ UCA contact or real close to it
What size tires are you planning on afterwards?

Shouldn't the JBA UCAs take care of that?

I haven't decided on tires yet. It seems that 245/75/16 is a good choice, but I am open to other options.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Shouldn't the JBA UCAs take care of that?

I haven't decided on tires yet. It seems that 245/75/16 is a good choice, but I am open to other options.

The JBA arms does to a degree, but main thing is sitting the ball joint at a better angle so its not on a bind. Like I said maybe 5 0ut 0f 8 have an issue at 3.5 inches with UCA/ spring contact on bumps.
245-75-16s some run without regearing, I don't, my suggestion is always a regear at that size and above . With that height and 4.10s it puts it back to stock pretty much as far as running, pulling and over all driveability

ghostrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I leave off the clevis lift, I should be fine? What about the rear?

A regear is in the future plans for sure. I am going to check local yards for a 4 cyl to get the parts from and go from there. I just want to make sure everything else is good first.

ghostrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trigger pulled! :D

It's going to be a fair amount of work getting everything done, but I know it will be worth it. I think the hardest part will be replacing the non-lift related worn out parts.

Now I just need to find some hockey pucks. The University here has a hockey team, so I may go ask if they have any used spares. That or the local semi-pro team. For some reason hockey is pretty popular around here; it's odd for Alabama lol.

Akley88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dumb question but how necessary is the y link extension, cause im looking at a pretty similar list of parts.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dumb question but how necessary is the y link extension, cause im looking at a pretty similar list of parts.

It looks like it keeps it from binding. Check the site a bit—a few threads already on how good it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

When you get up into the 3 inch plus range it helps a lot. Some people have a hard time setting the pinion angle correctly but its not hard if you really think and use some common sense

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the lift in and can't adjust the camber out... you'll need UCAs. I found out the hard way I needed them at 2" lift, and new tires wore crooked in the meantime.

The JBA tri-link extension raised the pinion higher than I wanted. Ideal for CV maybe. Lots of lee-way to raise higher, but not lower. YMMV.

ghostrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything from JBA but the actual lift kit has already arrived! Man that was fast! :)

You must be registered for see images attach

ghostrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I got enough hockey pucks :gr_grin:

ghostrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should of asked I have ones already drilled ready to go:gr_grin:

At least they were cheap :). I could have purchased a 4 pack for $13, but the 12 pack was only $20.

I can't find the how-to anywhere. All the links I find to it are broken. I may take some pics when I do it, and post a new version. What type of bolts do you use? Do I need to do anything to the hole in the spring seat, or just make a hole?

ghostrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost have everything now! All the springs and the front shocks showed up today :D. The rear shocks are a separate shipment for some reason.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
At least they were cheap :). I could have purchased a 4 pack for $13, but the 12 pack was only $20.

I can't find the how-to anywhere. All the links I find to it are broken. I may take some pics when I do it, and post a new version. What type of bolts do you use? Do I need to do anything to the hole in the spring seat, or just make a hole?

I use 3/8 inch bolts , 2.25-2.5 inches long for the rear bumpstops , and no on the carriage bolts use regular bolts

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Almost have everything now! All the springs and the front shocks showed up today :D. The rear shocks are a separate shipment for some reason.

Depends on where they are coming from , JBA tries to stock most everything but sometimes they come from the warehouse

ghostrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 3/8 inch bolts , 2.25-2.5 inches long for the rear bumpstops , and no on the carriage bolts use regular bolts

Does the grade of bolt matter, and do I need any washers or a nut/washer combo? I just want to make sure I know what I am looking for when I go to the hardware store.

Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the grade of bolt matter, and do I need any washers or a nut/washer combo? I just want to make sure I know what I am looking for when I go to the hardware store.

Thanks!

Grade of bolt does not really yes nut and lock washer on bottom I sometimes install a flat washer on top, makes it easier next time ( of course not everyone changes their lifts as many times as I do ) :happy175:
But on ones that I know we may upgrade I make sure that I can easily reach in and remove the bolt easy. Ones who use carriage head it makes it tough after 2-3 years and some rust/ dirt.

ghostrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But on ones that I know we may upgrade I make sure that I can easily reach in and remove the bolt easy. Ones who use carriage head it makes it tough after 2-3 years and some rust/ dirt.

Thanks!

Just looking at a carriage bolt gets a big ole nope from me in this case. Why would someone do that to themselves? :happy175:

Latest posts

Members online