pulls from side to side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have noticed it for awhile now but recently it's been getting more noticeable. Anyways here is what's going on.

If I let off the gas it feels like my jeep does a shimmey and wants to pull to the right. When I put my foot back on the gas it wants to shimmey back to the left. It did it prior to the lift and wasn't really noticeable until I put a trailer on the back and moved to phoenix. I can't seem to find out what is going on or why. Anybody have some ideas. The motor doesn't move in the engine bay and it seems like everything is bolted up and tight.

Basically it feels like something in the front or rear suspension isn't doing it's job and let's something move which makes the jeep uneasy to drive on the interstate. The faster I go the more pronounced the movement is.

Any help would be a great help.

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
How is your alignment?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I had it aligned twice and it still does it. Alignment looked good and I may still have the numbers that they finished at somewhere. I know everything was in the green on the paper they gave me I just can't remember the actual numbers.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some torque steering going on.
worn steering or suspension component

tires all inflated the same pressure?
worn tie rod ends?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If pulling one way when taking off, giving it more gas and then other way when letting off the gas, its more than likely the rear lower control arms

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys... I never really thought about the rear of the jeep causing the issue but it does make sense. I will check it out hopefully this weekend.

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
Update...

I swapped out the rear upper and lower controls arms today and it 100% solved the railway issue. Thanks for the input and direction everybody. If somebody else is having the issue I would recommend googling 1aauto.com They have the 3 rear control arms for 160 bucks and they seem well built and installed easily.

Thanks again guys!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Update...

I swapped out the rear upper and lower controls arms today and it 100% solved the railway issue. Thanks for the input and direction everybody. If somebody else is having the issue I would recommend googling 1aauto.com They have the 3 rear control arms for 160 bucks and they seem well built and installed easily.

Thanks again guys!

Just keep an eye on the Tri-link, cheaper ones don't last long .
3 months or less for me , but at least you'll know what to look at next time it does it! :gr_grin:

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read through this thread, checked the VIN but only the airbag, front ball joint (performed in 06') and the gas tank placement (I have factory tow hitch) recall pulled up.

Mine randomly pulls to the right, much like when driving in a heavy wind gust. I haven't noticed it under or coming off acceleration. Seems to be mostly at highway speeds. My coworker says he noticed it for some time, but has had it aligned recently. Has two new off brand tires on rear, Wrangler's on front.

All my tools are back in MS, I took a week off in October to spend some time checking the steering/suspension and A/C issue.

Once I can get the steering and geometry to spec, I'll install the standard OME kit from Rocky Road. Decided for my needs, an upgrade on stock and 245/75/16 will suffice.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I read through this thread, checked the VIN but only the airbag, front ball joint (performed in 06') and the gas tank placement (I have factory tow hitch) recall pulled up.

Mine randomly pulls to the right, much like when driving in a heavy wind gust. I haven't noticed it under or coming off acceleration. Seems to be mostly at highway speeds. My coworker says he noticed it for some time, but has had it aligned recently. Has two new off brand tires on rear, Wrangler's on front.

All my tools are back in MS, I took a week off in October to spend some time checking the steering/suspension and A/C issue.

Once I can get the steering and geometry to spec, I'll install the standard OME kit from Rocky Road. Decided for my needs, an upgrade on stock and 245/75/16 will suffice.

06 is a long time ago for the ball joints , have they been checked recently?
Check the tri-link and lower rear control arms as well real good

ROCKY ROAD LIFT ?? :Insane:please no
much better places to deal and get OME lift for less

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06 is a long time ago for the ball joints , have they been checked recently?
Check the tri-link and lower rear control arms as well real goods

I have not, plan to do so in October unless it gets too unpredictable then I may have to take to a shop.

I bought this to have as a plaything/moto hauler, unfortunately I just moved to new apartments without a garage and all my tools are in storage.

Hoping it will hold off any major issues until I can inspect/replace myself. Hate paying a shop for work I can perform myself.

Latest posts

Members online