Popping noise after lift install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isaac06

Reaction score
We recently purchased a 2006 Liberty 2wd. We have replaced the upper control arms, lower ball joints, new brakes and new hubs and we just had a Daystar 2-1/2" suspension/coil lift installed. We had the alignment done and now there is a loud popping sound when driving on uneven terrain, dirt roads or over small rocks. Has anyone experienced this or could anyone give us suggestions on what to look for? Thanks

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. After my lift and alignment I was getting a pop or clank/clunk sound. What had happened on mine is the cam bolts were seized up inside the lower control arm bushings. When the alignment was done. The twisting of the cam bolt broke the sleeve loose from the bushing. This allowed the lower control arm to move forward and backwards. It would clung when it would make contact with the control arm pocket. Also it pulled the spring into contact with the upper control arm. I had to cut the cam bolts to remove the lower control arms and have new bushing pressed in. Then had to pay for another alignment.

In the photo. You can see the rub marks where the bushing had been hitting the pocket.
And the other showing the bolt in the bushing I had to cut through.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
At least part of it is the Daystar, you'll always have some strange noises with those spacer lifts

isaac06

Reaction score
Thank you rjkj2005, we will look at everything a little closer today. We think it may be the sway bar link/bushings. My husband thought it didn't look tight enough, because of some spacing, but it was. So we're thinking towards that. i appreciate the info, diffently going to check everything.

isaac06

Reaction score
Thank you tommudd, have read a lot of reviews and comments on the Daystar, but hadn't seen where it make noises. We will diffently keep an eye on everything. appreciate the info.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you tommudd, have read a lot of reviews and comments on the Daystar, but hadn't seen where it make noises. We will diffently keep an eye on everything. appreciate the info.

When using stock worn out springs and shocks along with spacers you are getting a lot more suspension travel that you normally would with using new springs and shocks, so more noise
Also what rear shocks did you use? Must have longer ones

There are many issues with any spacer lift, many started out that way to only switch to full spring in a couple of months due to that , ( bad ride/ noises/etc)

isaac06

Reaction score
Tommudd, Not making any noise from rear. installed by dealer and they didn't say I needed longer shocks in rear, plus that was one thing I verified with Daystar, no longer shocks needed. Popping sounds more from the driver side. Other than the popping sound, it has a good ride. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Was the clevis to LCA bolt torqued with the full weight on the ground?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tommudd, Not making any noise from rear. installed by dealer and they didn't say I needed longer shocks in rear, plus that was one thing I verified with Daystar, no longer shocks needed. Popping sounds more from the driver side. Other than the popping sound, it has a good ride. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

You DO NEED longer shocks in the rear
even at 2.5 inches the stock ones top out
Not sure how you verified with Daystar but you do need new rear shocks
noise can travel on these Liberties
Many of us have 12-14 years experience lifting these, much more experience than most dealers do.
Close to 45 done just here at my place
Have to remember that everything suspension is now riding in a different angle, even u-joints now are operating at a different plane so combine with other worn suspension parts and you have noises

Last edited:

isaac06

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info provided. The sway bar end links are worn out and need to be replaced. No more popping sound.

isaac06

Reaction score
I have no idea if they did or not. We have confirmed the swat bar end links are worn out and need to be replaced. No more popping sound.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea if they did or not. We have confirmed the swat bar end links are worn out and need to be replaced. No more popping sound.

Thats great, keep an eye on the upper ball joints though as usually they are the first to go
Plus please get the right length rear shocks

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also remember a lot of the old rubber in various bushings will be put at new angles and may need replacing. I would not want any type of spacer lift EVER after having put in a higher quality 1.

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online