Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > Lift Kit Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

Lift Kit Discussion

Popping noise after lift install

This is a discussion on Popping noise after lift install within the Lift Kit Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! We recently purchased a 2006 Liberty 2wd. We have replaced the upper control ...

Discuss all the different types of lifts and which is right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Popping noise after lift install

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
We recently purchased a 2006 Liberty 2wd. We have replaced the upper control arms, lower ball joints, new brakes and new hubs and we just had a Daystar 2-1/2" suspension/coil lift installed. We had the alignment done and now there is a loud popping sound when driving on uneven terrain, dirt roads or over small rocks. Has anyone experienced this or could anyone give us suggestions on what to look for? Thanks
isaac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes. After my lift and alignment I was getting a pop or clank/clunk sound. What had happened on mine is the cam bolts were seized up inside the lower control arm bushings. When the alignment was done. The twisting of the cam bolt broke the sleeve loose from the bushing. This allowed the lower control arm to move forward and backwards. It would clung when it would make contact with the control arm pocket. Also it pulled the spring into contact with the upper control arm. I had to cut the cam bolts to remove the lower control arms and have new bushing pressed in. Then had to pay for another alignment.

In the photo. You can see the rub marks where the bushing had been hitting the pocket.
And the other showing the bolt in the bushing I had to cut through.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
rjkj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

At least part of it is the Daystar, you'll always have some strange noises with those spacer lifts
CURRENT PROJECT 03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, 81,000 miles, one owner, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds rear bumper
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you rjkj2005, we will look at everything a little closer today. We think it may be the sway bar link/bushings. My husband thought it didn't look tight enough, because of some spacing, but it was. So we're thinking towards that. i appreciate the info, diffently going to check everything.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you tommudd, have read a lot of reviews and comments on the Daystar, but hadn't seen where it make noises. We will diffently keep an eye on everything. appreciate the info.

Last edited by isaac06; 08-12-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by isaac06 View Post
Thank you tommudd, have read a lot of reviews and comments on the Daystar, but hadn't seen where it make noises. We will diffently keep an eye on everything. appreciate the info.
When using stock worn out springs and shocks along with spacers you are getting a lot more suspension travel that you normally would with using new springs and shocks, so more noise
Also what rear shocks did you use? Must have longer ones

There are many issues with any spacer lift, many started out that way to only switch to full spring in a couple of months due to that , ( bad ride/ noises/etc)
CURRENT PROJECT 03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, 81,000 miles, one owner, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds rear bumper
Old 08-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Tommudd, Not making any noise from rear. installed by dealer and they didn't say I needed longer shocks in rear, plus that was one thing I verified with Daystar, no longer shocks needed. Popping sounds more from the driver side. Other than the popping sound, it has a good ride. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

Was the clevis to LCA bolt torqued with the full weight on the ground?
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by isaac06 View Post
Tommudd, Not making any noise from rear. installed by dealer and they didn't say I needed longer shocks in rear, plus that was one thing I verified with Daystar, no longer shocks needed. Popping sounds more from the driver side. Other than the popping sound, it has a good ride. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
You DO NEED longer shocks in the rear
even at 2.5 inches the stock ones top out
Not sure how you verified with Daystar but you do need new rear shocks
noise can travel on these Liberties
Many of us have 12-14 years experience lifting these, much more experience than most dealers do.
Close to 45 done just here at my place
Have to remember that everything suspension is now riding in a different angle, even u-joints now are operating at a different plane so combine with other worn suspension parts and you have noises

Last edited by tommudd; 08-12-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper View Post
Was the clevis to LCA bolt torqued with the full weight on the ground?
Installed by dealer so doubt it
Same as the rear lower control they installed while suspension hanging down