New lift - Notchy steering - right hand only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KonaJ

Reaction score
Installed a full set of Ironman shocks and springs in my 2005 Renegade over the weekend. Looks awesome and rides well, except for right hand turns it feels like something is binding up at both high and low speed, in neutral or in gear, in motion or stopped. It's a notchy feeling without much in terms of noise. The hub to fender measurement is 21.75", I am using a 1/4" top plate with 3 conduit lock nuts in the clevis.

Parts list:

Moog greasable upper control arms
Moog greasable lower ball joints
Ironman full kit
1/4" top plate spacers
3 conduit lock nuts on each side
Ebay extended bump stops
1.25" hub centric spacers
235/75/R16 Hankooks

I did trim the front lip under the bumper to resolve some rubbing, but there wasn't much to do there. Not seeing any rubbing otherwise.

I have not aligned it better than "looks right," and am holding off on driving it till I resolve this issue. Any thoughts? Was thinking maybe CV's, they felt fine when I inspected them for play and smooth travel though. The tie rods seemed fine, possibly a small amount of play in the passenger side but felt acceptable until I could get it on an alignment rack.

Let me know what other information could be helpful, and I'll get it up ASAP.

You must be registered for see images attach

Samsolo49

Reaction score
Installed a full set of Ironman shocks and springs in my 2005 Renegade over the weekend. Looks awesome and rides well, except for right hand turns it feels like something is binding up at both high and low speed, in neutral or in gear, in motion or stopped. It's a notchy feeling without much in terms of noise. The hub to fender measurement is 21.75", I am using a 1/4" top plate with 3 conduit lock nuts in the clevis.

Parts list:

Moog greasable upper control arms
Moog greasable lower ball joints
Ironman full kit
1/4" top plate spacers
3 conduit lock nuts on each side
Ebay extended bump stops
1.25" hub centric spacers
235/75/R16 Hankooks

I did trim the front lip under the bumper to resolve some rubbing, but there wasn't much to do there. Not seeing any rubbing otherwise.

I have not aligned it better than "looks right," and am holding off on driving it till I resolve this issue. Any thoughts? Was thinking maybe CV's, they felt fine when I inspected them for play and smooth travel though. The tie rods seemed fine, possibly a small amount of play in the passenger side but felt acceptable until I could get it on an alignment rack.

Let me know what other information could be helpful, and I'll get it up ASAP.

You must be registered for see images attach
Check to see if your rubbing at the pinch weld at the rear of the front wheel well, like a big bump covered in plastic. Cut plastic and get big hammer and fold the pinch weld inward till somewhat flat.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2. It'll be very weird until you get it aligned.

Looks good. I have the Hankooks too. I've had them for about 2000 miles so far and I love them.

KonaJ

Reaction score
Not seeing any rubbing at the pinch weld. Will keep an eye on that for sure though, I'm guessing it might become an issue when I hit the trail.

Went through and double checked everything, pumped some more grease into the ball joints. Seems a little better. Will do with the alignment, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that I'd have to rework.

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alignment is the most critical part of completing the lift, because without the alignment your angles on the suspension and steering are off.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you torque everything while it was still in the air? You should have the weight on the suspension before torqueing the UCA bolts.

And, as mentioned, alignment now and again once everything settles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As mentioned get an alignment NOW
Then report back, they all do some quirky things before you get a proper alignment by someone who knows what they are doing

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is the steering rack. Mine was notchy feeling and the rack was bad. New rack solved it.

EDIT: Wanted to add that the only time mine felt that way was with left turns. Rights felt fine.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I at first thought that but given it coincided with the lift and he hasn't aligned it, I'd be shocked if it were the rack.

KonaJ

Reaction score
Will be dropping it off tomorrow morning at a reputable alignment shop. Hopefully I will see a positive result by tomorrow afternoon. If not, well I guess I'll tear it apart again and figure out whats going on.

And yes, I did make sure everything was loaded before torquing. Wanted to avoid damaging brand new components!

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I at first thought that but given it coincided with the lift and he hasn't aligned it, I'd be shocked if it were the rack.

True. But ya never know. I found my rack was shot after 2 alignments. Had it done and the rack shifted a couple days later. Tightened it down and had the second alignment done. About a week later is when I found the rack was bad. They're supposed to check things before the alignment but don't always do.

Hopefully it is just the alignment and it'll be good to go.

KonaJ

Reaction score
Got it aligned yesterday, still had notchy steering coming out of the shop.

Took it home and changed the power steering fluid, put half a quart of fresh Supertech ATF IV (whole $1.50 worth) in it. Drove it another 5 miles to grab dinner still just as notchy. On the way back hit some twisties at speed and noticed it seemingly resolved. Drove it into work this morning and it was nice and smooth, maybe 1 very slight hitch going lock to lock while parking vs a dozen chunky ones before.

Not sure which item it was exactly, I suspect a check valve was partially stuck in the rack and the fresh fluid and hard driving worked it free.

Thank you all for the advice, and the FAQ here on the forum. Without knowing that I was in spec for the CV's, that it was most likely the rack, etc I would have been taking it apart again to remove spacers and retorque balljoints, and generally tearing my hair out instead of getting it aligned and driving it. Working perfectly now, nice to have the project 100% complete.

Latest posts

Members online