Lift before Wheels/Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitejeep05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will need to replace my tires soon so I'm looking at tire/wheel combos. I had decided to go with a 235/70/16 on 16x7 Cragar Soft 8s but this led me to a question about suspension lifts.

Is it a good idea to get a lift put on first, before investing in wheels/tires? Also, would a small lift (~2") really give that much more room for bigger tires?

Apologies for the novice question, I don't know anything about lifts and bigger wheels besides that they look cool... I'm mostly concerned with appearance, no off-road stuff.

(also I measured and I've got about 18.5" from middle of my wheel to bottom of the fender flare which i guess means a sagging suspension for my 2005)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will need to replace my tires soon so I'm looking at tire/wheel combos. I had decided to go with a 235/70/16 on 16x7 Cragar Soft 8s but this led me to a question about suspension lifts.

Is it a good idea to get a lift put on first, before investing in wheels/tires? Also, would a small lift (~2") really give that much more room for bigger tires?

Apologies for the novice question, I don't know anything about lifts and bigger wheels besides that they look cool... I'm mostly concerned with appearance, no off-road stuff.

(also I measured and I've got about 18.5" from middle of my wheel to bottom of the fender flare which i guess means a sagging suspension for my 2005)

Yes sagging suspension and bet it rides like crap.
Yes you need suspension lift before buying tires since one afterwards your 235-70-16s will look too small, and then the Soft 8s you want will rub since you're getting 4 inch backspaced wheels I presume
OME 927/948 combo gives 2.5 inches of lift or could go OME 926s and 947s for 2 inches of lift
927s are rated at 400 lbs and 926s at 375 lb where as the stock are 310 lb
2 inch you could do 245-70-16s and 2.5 can do 245-75-16s with little massaging

whitejeep05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sagging suspension and bet it rides like crap.
Yes you need suspension lift before buying tires since one afterwards your 235-70-16s will look too small, and then the Soft 8s you want will rub since you're getting 4 inch backspaced wheels I presume
OME 927/948 combo gives 2.5 inches of lift or could go OME 926s and 947s for 2 inches of lift
927s are rated at 400 lbs and 926s at 375 lb where as the stock are 310 lb
2 inch you could do 245-70-16s and 2.5 can do 245-75-16s with little massaging

That's exactly the feedback I was looking for. Yes, I was planning on the 4 inch backspace, so I guess I'll go ahead with the lift first.

The ride is pretty damn rough, and feels almost wobbly when highway cruising. I thought it might be the tires, but now i'm thinking it's the suspension all together.

I'd go for a 2.5" lift I think if the ride isn't too rough.

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's exactly the feedback I was looking for. Yes, I was planning on the 4 inch backspace, so I guess I'll go ahead with the lift first.

The ride is pretty damn rough, and feels almost wobbly when highway cruising. I thought it might be the tires, but now i'm thinking it's the suspension all together.

I'd go for a 2.5" lift I think if the ride isn't too rough.

Thanks

We've done over 40 OME 927/948 lifts here at my place some with OME shocks, some Bilstein , after everything settles in ride is great.
I lifted my 04 a few months after I bought it ( 9/04 ) and had it on for 100,000 miles before going to a few different lifts . Always loved the ride .
Of course the JBA coilover lifts are hands down the best ride and handling but also more $$$$ Ran it on the 04 set at 4.5 inches and have the TOTAL CONTROL coilover setup on the 03 . You can adjust the ride height on them in front plus they are also adjustable as far as compression and rebound in front. I also added the rear shocks which are the same as far as adjusting compression and rebound.

whitejeep05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've done over 40 OME 927/948 lifts here at my place some with OME shocks, some Bilstein , after everything settles in ride is great.
I lifted my 04 a few months after I bought it ( 9/04 ) and had it on for 100,000 miles before going to a few different lifts . Always loved the ride .
Of course the JBA coilover lifts are hands down the best ride and handling but also more $$$$ Ran it on the 04 set at 4.5 inches and have the TOTAL CONTROL coilover setup on the 03 . You can adjust the ride height on them in front plus they are also adjustable as far as compression and rebound in front. I also added the rear shocks which are the same as far as adjusting compression and rebound.

How hard of a DIY install would one of the OME setups be with a pre-assembled front assemblies? I'm fairly handy, but I don't want to get in over my head in terms of equipment required (spring compressor, etc)...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How hard of a DIY install would one of the OME setups be with a pre-assembled front assemblies? I'm fairly handy, but I don't want to get in over my head in terms of equipment required (spring compressor, etc)...

Don't even think of trying to compress the springs by yourself. The ones you get from parts stores etc will kill ya ( plus they won't fit the coils right )
So just remove front suspension and take new coils/ shocks and have them assembled by a shop that has a good compressor
Its pretty easy to do even if never done it before

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tommudd, you may be on to something about lifted and stock tires sizes looking not right.

I am at 17.75 front and 18.5" rear. I hear that is .75" lower than factory at both ends.

I wish I could see a picture of a KJ with 926/947's installed and still using factory tire sizes to see what it look like.

there may have been pictures at one time but photo?ucket fixed that while they try to fleece there uses.

I know you are really like the OME springs, but another option for me may be to use new (moog, monroe) style struts that come with new springs.
that brings me back up to 18.5", than use a kit that bolts to the factory top strut plate for additional lift, and includes a spacer for rear lift with Dakota rear shocks.
since it was 1" higher in back new, and I am sacked out .75" now, leaving the old springs in the back would make me level with new springs in the frontt? (keep in mind, I only drive my Liberty around 4000 miles per year)

prices are from a vendor that sponsors this site.

KYB struts with springs $110. each = $220
KYB rear shocks 35.00 each = 70.00
KYB $60 main in rebate = -60
Crown Auto rough trail 2" lift kit - $230.00
total = $460.00
for $40 you can replace the rear springs.

also I see 65th Anniversary Edition; Limited; Renegade; Sport listed as options, do they sit any higher from factory?

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also I see 65th Anniversary Edition; Limited; Renegade; Sport listed as options, do they sit any higher from factory?

Only models that sit higher than others was the 2002 model year; the KJ was lowered about half an inch after a notorious automotive review magazine made it such that the Liberty looked more prone to tipping over than other similar vehicles.. was a fiasco and a half.

Short answer, no.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am at 17.75 front and 18.5" rear. I hear that is .75" lower than factory at both ends.

I wish I could see a picture of a KJ with 926/947's installed and still using factory tire sizes to see what it look like.
Here is a huge pic of my KJ at 3.25" of lift (927/948 springs, Bilstein shocks and some extras for more lift) and stock tires/wheels; one of the only pictures I have of it with the small tires and hated the look
Although it made it look higher than after I got my big tires, it felt very unsafe to drive at that time
This setup is obviously not what you're going for but you get the idea

Also, may I ask why you're wanting the LD springs? you'd be much happier with the HD 927/948 combo IMO
You must be registered for see images attach

The after is MUCH better:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only models that sit higher than others was the 2002 model year; the KJ was lowered about half an inch after a notorious automotive review magazine made it such that the Liberty looked more prone to tipping over than other similar vehicles.. was a fiasco and a half.

Short answer, no.

before April 12, 2002 was 3/4 inch higher

whitejeep05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He stated at first he did not want very much lift

Yeah, i'm not looking for much lift at all. Honestly, i'm just trying to fit a bigger tire under there and improve the stance a little.

My stock suspension is probably due to be replace, so i was considering upgrading but it's looking like ~900$ at minimum for a lift kit. I like the other idea in this thread which is replace the existing suspension, and add that spacer kit.

Edit: Could I just grab some OEM replacement KYB front/rear struts/shocks and put OME springs on them? Would anything else be needed?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, i'm not looking for much lift at all. Honestly, i'm just trying to fit a bigger tire under there and improve the stance a little.

My stock suspension is probably due to be replace, so i was considering upgrading but it's looking like ~900$ at minimum for a lift kit. I like the other idea in this thread which is replace the existing suspension, and add that spacer kit.

Edit: Could I just grab some OEM replacement KYB front/rear struts/shocks and put OME springs on them? Would anything else be needed?

Stock suspension is shot by 50-60,000 miles, replaced mine on the 04 at 20,000 miles.
NEVER mention spacer lift unless you're going for looks and trading it off within a week.
For the front you do use the same shock as you do stock, same parts numbers BUT Bilstein works great when used with OME springs

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the picture. I see what you were saying about needing bigger tires to fill the gap. Maybe I don't need a lift because I really want to stick with stock size tires and not have to regear, deal with speedometer or even lower MPG.
but it don't like this one.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
today I loaded 35 gallons of water into a 10 lb tank strapped into the back of my Liberty (with 100,000 on suspension). that is 300 lbs.
back dropped from 18.5" down to 17.5" from center of Hub to outer fender edge.
just in case anybody is looking for weight VS sag numbers for stock suspension in the future.

The water tank is because we have an RV on private property where we need to truck water to it.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score

NO SPACERS, you'll sag right back down to where you were to begin with soon after and then you'll have spent even more on the OME kit later on to fix the spacer damage. Do it right at the start and you won't have to change it again. Many have ran one OME kit for 100k+ miles. The KJs springs are terrible stock, and since you'd have to pay ~$900 for the LD springs you might as well get the HD for the same price

1.5" over stock height still won't allow you to fit much bigger tires than stock, nor run wider/less backspaced wheels but if you go with the HD then you'll be able to have a little bit more options

whitejeep05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it, no spacers. I think i'm going to try to pair the cheaper KYB shocks/struts with OME springs. Does anybody have any experience running that? I'm not looking for performance, just a normal ride, and basic lift.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Got it, no spacers. I think i'm going to try to pair the cheaper KYB shocks/struts with OME springs. Does anybody have any experience running that? I'm not looking for performance, just a normal ride, and basic lift.

Try them and then order OME/Bilsteins later
cheap shocks and good OME springs is not a good match, may as well just install Monroe Sensa Trac since going cheap
Not a fan of using a cheaper shock with quality
shocks are to control bounce etc from springs.
use cheaper shocks they do not control the movement of the springs as well as quality shocks and will wear out the springs faster
Like getting a new pair of dress pants and wearing old stretched out, holey underware

Last edited:

whitejeep05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try them and then order OME/Bilsteins later
cheap shocks and good OME springs is not a good match, may as well just install Monroe Sensa Trac since going cheap
Not a fan of using a cheaper shock with quality
shocks are to control bounce etc from springs.
use cheaper shocks they do not control the movement of the springs as well as quality shocks and will wear out the springs faster
Like getting a new pair of dress pants and wearing old stretched out, holey underware

i hear you, i'm just looking for something that fits my very limited budget and am willing to accept a less than optimal setup if i can make it work. This truck is a bit of a beater, so I only plan to drive it a couple more years. Thanks for all your help.

Latest posts

Members online