Ball joints in JBA UCA's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fitted the OME kit from Jeep'n by Al in Oct 2010. 3 years and 8 months later, but only 28,400km (17,600 miles) I had to change them since the boots had perished.
The originals were Moog with black rubber boots.
I fitted Raybestos BJ's which have a blue boot which looked more durable.
After 19,800km (12,300miles) and 3 years and 5 months, the boots had split 3/4 of the way around and water had got inside. Both sides had a small amount of play.
This time I have fitted AC Delco, but I think they have come from the same Chinese manufacturer as the Raybestos, since they look identical, right down to the markings on the boots.

Are others seeing this short life span?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No , most of mine went way longer Had over 90,000 on the 04s . PLUS now I only run the JBA rebuildable ball joints way better

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I probably get about 30k out of mine. I think I have the Moog ones. Next go around I'll probably get the JBA ones. Doesn't bother me much, it's a like a half hour to change them. Could be worse.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran my old GENII JBA's with MOOG joints for 30,000+ miles with zero issues,no play at all,or need to replace.

I also bought them used with about 50k on them before hand so a total of over 80k on them and original ball joints.

Key is to grease them and keep a eye on the boots.The boots are not designed to seal the joint as the grease(old grease) has to have somewhere to go when you add new grease.The boots will not last as long as the joint if properly maintained.And as the BJ's are not actually for a KJ the boots will not fit correctly anyways thus you need to watch them.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think that's my issue...I probably threw out good joints when it was really the boot that was bad, but didn't know where to get just a boot and for $30, rather have a new joint if the old one got contaminated.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RRO includes an extra boot with their arms. Looks like some kind of aftermarket polyurethane thing... and you 'double-boot' the Moog balljoint on install.

70,000km later they're still tight (greased regularly). Boots still there.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The boots on the Moogs that came with the UCA just touched the bottom of the arms, but the Raybestos and AC Delco boots are bonded to the case of the ball joint.
The Moogs didn't have any play when I replaced them but the boots were in tatters, I'm sure it wouldn't have taken long for the water to get in and cause rust.
I normally grease them at every oil change.