ARB Bumper and OME Lift Help/Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepguy26.2

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am new here and I am looking for some advice regarding the ARB bumper and the OME lift kit. I have a 2005 3.7L Liberty Sport with 86,000 miles on it. Right now, everything on it is stock and a am rolling on 225/75/16 tires.

So about a year and a half ago the front end of my liberty of clipped by a garbage truck that was turning into an alley while I was parked on the street. There wasn’t any serious damage to the car, only the plastic bumper and bumper components were damaged. I filed a claim with the city to cover the damage and have been playing the waiting game. The city finally sent me a check but I do not want to put the plastic stock bumper back on when I can install an ARB bumper on someone else’s dime. I just need some input before I buy the bumper.

I have downloaded the installation instructions for the bumper already and have gone through them several times. I know the mounting system slides on and bolts to the front crossmember. My problem is my sister rear ended someone years ago and I believe she dented my front crossmember a little bit. I don’t think it is that bad. I just notice to identical bumps on each side of the bottom of the crossmember. The crush cans on the front of the crossmember are only slightly dented. I didn’t really examine/pay attention the crossmember after the car was hit by the garbage truck and I don’t really want to take the bumper off because I am afraid it will be difficult to get it back on (I have it jerry rigged on there). So right now I can only see the bottom of the c member. My concern is that if I buy the ARB bumper I will not be able to mount it due to a dent in the crossmember. I really don’t want to have the crossmember replaced because I think it needs to be cut out and the new welded in. The apertures in the c member that accept the captive nut channels for the bumper seem undamaged and so do the areas immediately around them. I am thinking that I could just heat and hammer any dents out so I could mount the bumper and it will be ok.

-Does anyone have any experience with installing an ARB bumper on a slightly dented c member?

-Do you think I would be good as long as I could hammer out the dents and the c member is flat on all sides?

-Also, the bumper says it comes in painted grey. Could anyone tell me how close the ARB bumper grey is to the grey that the plastic liberty fender flares are? I wasn’t planning on getting it painted.

-Any other advice regarding the bumper and installation?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-I also am planning on putting the OME 1.5” lift kit from Jeepinbyal . From what I understand that is really 2.5” of lift, is this correct?

-I know I need the OME 927 HD springs in the front if I plan on putting the ARB bumper on but will they be too stiff if I can’t install the bumper?

-I also what to make sure I get the correct rear shocks. I was planning on getting the N132L long shocks because from what I understand those are required for a lift. Are they the right ones?

-I don’t want to have any negative effects from the lift, specifically in the cv axel and u joint departments. From what I understand as long as I don’t go above 23” from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender flare I should be good. Right now the front measures 18” to the bottom of the flare from the center of the wheel on both sides of the car and the rear is at 18.5” on both sides of the car. So after the OME 1.5” lift I should be at 21.5” in the front and 22” in the rear, correct? At that height I shouldn’t have any cv or u joint issues, correct?

- I am not getting new tires right away. I am planning on rolling on my 225/75/16’s for a while. In the future will I be able to install 245/75’s with the amount of lift I am putting on? I would rather not regear my diffs , so that’s a factor as well. If not what can I put on?

-I am also planning on installing the JBA Upper Control arms. Does anyone know if those come with the ball joint already assembled or do I have to do that myself? And do I need to get ball joint boots and washers or do they come with?

-Finally when installing the lift can I reuse all my other components? Such as rear upper and lower spring isolators, etc.

This is my shopping list, will I need anything else?
*OME 1.5” lift kit with 927 HD front springs and N132L long rear shocks, JBA UCA’s, terraflex bumpstops, 4 hockey pucks, and an ARB bumper.

Thank you in advance. I know this was a long post and I am asking a lot of questions and many have been addressed in the Lift Faq thread. This is just my first time installing a lift and I want to do it right the first time. I appreciate any advice and input. Thank you

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am new here and I am looking for some advice regarding the ARB bumper and the OME lift kit. I have a 2005 3.7L Liberty Sport with 86,000 miles on it. Right now, everything on it is stock and a am rolling on 225/75/16 tires.

So about a year and a half ago the front end of my liberty of clipped by a garbage truck that was turning into an alley while I was parked on the street. There wasn’t any serious damage to the car, only the plastic bumper and bumper components were damaged. I filed a claim with the city to cover the damage and have been playing the waiting game. The city finally sent me a check but I do not want to put the plastic stock bumper back on when I can install an ARB bumper on someone else’s dime. I just need some input before I buy the bumper.

I have downloaded the installation instructions for the bumper already and have gone through them several times. I know the mounting system slides on and bolts to the front crossmember. My problem is my sister rear ended someone years ago and I believe she dented my front crossmember a little bit. I don’t think it is that bad. I just notice to identical bumps on each side of the bottom of the crossmember. The crush cans on the front of the crossmember are only slightly dented. I didn’t really examine/pay attention the crossmember after the car was hit by the garbage truck and I don’t really want to take the bumper off because I am afraid it will be difficult to get it back on (I have it jerry rigged on there). So right now I can only see the bottom of the c member. My concern is that if I buy the ARB bumper I will not be able to mount it due to a dent in the crossmember. I really don’t want to have the crossmember replaced because I think it needs to be cut out and the new welded in. The apertures in the c member that accept the captive nut channels for the bumper seem undamaged and so do the areas immediately around them. I am thinking that I could just heat and hammer any dents out so I could mount the bumper and it will be ok.

-Does anyone have any experience with installing an ARB bumper on a slightly dented c member?

-Do you think I would be good as long as I could hammer out the dents and the c member is flat on all sides?

-Also, the bumper says it comes in painted grey. Could anyone tell me how close the ARB bumper grey is to the grey that the plastic liberty fender flares are? I wasn’t planning on getting it painted.

It's more black than gray I think.
-Any other advice regarding the bumper and installation?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-I also am planning on putting the OME 1.5” lift kit from Jeepinbyal . From what I understand that is really 2.5” of lift, is this correct?
Yep, more if you add a topplate/ clevis and rear isolators

-I know I need the OME 927 HD springs in the front if I plan on putting the ARB bumper on but will they be too stiff if I can’t install the bumper?
My opinion, I liked the 926 more if you don't have a bumper or winch, I thought it flexed better. But tons of people run the 927s with the stock bumper and love it. If you plan on doing a winch with the ARB,
go 790 up front.

-I also what to make sure I get the correct rear shocks. I was planning on getting the N132L long shocks because from what I understand those are required for a lift. Are they the right ones?
Yes!
-I don’t want to have any negative effects from the lift, specifically in the cv axel and u joint departments. From what I understand as long as I don’t go above 23” from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender flare I should be good. Right now the front measures 18” to the bottom of the flare from the center of the wheel on both sides of the car and the rear is at 18.5” on both sides of the car. So after the OME 1.5” lift I should be at 21.5” in the front and 22” in the rear, correct? At that height I shouldn’t have any cv or u joint issues, correct?
Correct. At least not anymore than what a normal KJ would :happy175:
- I am not getting new tires right away. I am planning on rolling on my 225/75/16’s for a while. In the future will I be able to install 245/75’s with the amount of lift I am putting on? I would rather not regear my diffs , so that’s a factor as well. If not what can I put on?
245/75/16 will be fine. Might have to trim the air dam/fender liner.
-I am also planning on installing the JBA Upper Control arms. Does anyone know if those come with the ball joint already assembled or do I have to do that myself? And do I need to get ball joint boots and washers or do they come with?
They come with everything.

-Finally when installing the lift can I reuse all my other components? Such as rear upper and lower spring isolators, etc.
Yes. Only think I might recommend replacing are the front upper shock mounts. The bushing comes loose and makes an awful noise. I think I'm the only person that has had it happen, but it's worth it IMO. Get Mopar only.

This is my shopping list, will I need anything else?
*OME 1.5” lift kit with 927 HD front springs and N132L long rear shocks, JBA UCA’s, terraflex bumpstops, 4 hockey pucks, and an ARB bumper.

Thank you in advance. I know this was a long post and I am asking a lot of questions and many have been addressed in the Lift Faq thread. This is just my first time installing a lift and I want to do it right the first time. I appreciate any advice and input. Thank you

List looks good! I responded in red. Sorry that I don't know much about the collision damage. I've never installed an ARB so I'm not exactly sure how it mounts. If it's anything like the backbone winch mount I have, I'm guessing if the crossmember isn't fully folded in, it should be ok.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran an ARB with 927s on the 04 for 100,000 miles before I upgraded
so have a little experience.
If you are ever going to add a winch go for the 790s ( also ran the ARB and no winch with the 790s.)
But you are on the right track .
As far as regearing some think you don't have to with a 30.5 inch tall tire, ( 245-75-16s or 265-70-16s ) But I'm a firm believer in doing it.
Trust me you can tell the difference , But if you are a flatlander you can get by

Last edited:

Rich75043

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All your questions were answered pretty thoroughly but I thought I might chime in about the 927 springs with stock bumper. I just did my lift a few weeks ago and I too was concerned it might be too stiff but I took the advise of the more experienced and just went for it lol. glad I did. it's almost two separate ride qualities now. on the one hand it feels very crisp and responsive on small bumps and road irregularities. on the other, it takes larger bumps and big dips like it just floats across them. very nice ride now...even my wife complimented my jeep and that's unheard of...

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything that has been said.
Regarding the front springs, i have installed both. I installed the 926 first. I used them for 5.000km and they flexed very well. The lift was not what i expected and i had problems with my tires (245/75R16). Tom suggested to replace them with the 927 as they would give more lift. Therefore, i replaced the 926's with the 927's and indeed i got some more lift. So far i have used them for 1.000km and to me they seem Ok although i preffered the flex of the 926's. But this is my personal opinion and i suppose the new one's haven't settled yet.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me you can tell the difference , But if you are a flatlander you can get by

This is key. My KJ with 245/70/16 tires cant hold 70mph on the slightest of inclines. The throttle must be kept just on the edge of unlocking the torque converter just to stay at 70mph.

It really makes driving the KJ a struggle for me...

The KJ drives great with the stock 215 tires and 3:73 gears....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some more to add;
I ran the 04 over 100,000 miles with 4.10s and 32s, always wished it had 4.56s
When I lifted the 03 I knew I wanted 265-70-16s and of course with a spare front and rear diff with 4.10s I threw them in soon after.
Now there is about 100 miles of Interstate lots of rolling hills that I have ran for over 40 years with everything from Harleys to Peterbilts. Then 25 miles of 2 lane roads , and then 4-5 of one lane dirt/ gravel.
Now with 265-70-16s and 3.73s it down shifted over 30 times holding steady 75 on the Interstate, with 4.10s installed one time is all. Now thats less wear and tear on the motor and transmission, more mileage etc
Tells me a lot

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is also downshifting a lot with 245/75R16 and 3.73 gearing. So re-gearing to 4.10 is one of the mods I would like to do next.

Jeepguy26.2

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. You have been very helpful. Based on what you guys are saying I probably won't upgrade my tires until I could afford to regear to 4.10s.

In regards to that front c member I was asking about, I took off the front end yesterday to get a good look at it and take some pictures. I'll attach some of them. The damage isn't that bad. Has a small dent in the center and the underside is a bit crunched on each side like I was talking about. The apertures are fine.

My plan is to heat and beat that underside flat and slide hammer the front dent a little so I can get the ARB bumper mounting bracket on. Can anyone with experience installing the ARB bumper tell me, based on those pictures, if you think after I reshape the bottom of the crossmember I be able to install the bumper ok and not have any issues?
Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20180226_155321-600x450.jpg
    20180226_155321-600x450.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20180226_155100-578x433.jpg
    20180226_155100-578x433.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180226_154655-620x465.jpg
    20180226_154655-620x465.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 15

Jeepguy26.2

Reaction score
Well then I will probably give the 790's a try. If I don't like them I can always swap them out. It's not like springs are terribly expensive. Thanks again everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Samsolo49

Reaction score
I just finished putting my OME lift and my 254/75/16's on over the weekend. I have the arb bumper waiting for the time to do it and mount my winch. I don't remember the numbers but it's the OME 1.5" lift heavy duty springs in front and medium duty springs in the rear. Was out of shop time so didn't get the pinch welds pounded flat and she rubs there when turning very far, but it rides better than it did stock and I loved the stock ride. Get a vibration between 40-50 mph, wheels came mounted and balanced, front end alignment?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just finished putting my OME lift and my 254/75/16's on over the weekend. I have the arb bumper waiting for the time to do it and mount my winch. I don't remember the numbers but it's the OME 1.5" lift heavy duty springs in front and medium duty springs in the rear. Was out of shop time so didn't get the pinch welds pounded flat and she rubs there when turning very far, but it rides better than it did stock and I loved the stock ride. Get a vibration between 40-50 mph, wheels came mounted and balanced, front end alignment?

Have you aligned it yet ?

Samsolo49

Reaction score
Have you aligned it yet ?
Took it in, had a little wiggle in the steering wheel because the wheels and tires I bought from 4wheel parts that came mounted and balanced were 4 1/2 ounces out of balance. Rebalanced the front tires and they said it was good. Drives straight even when I let go of the wheel and now no wiggle. Took it up for some light playing today

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Took it in, had a little wiggle in the steering wheel because the wheels and tires I bought from 4wheel parts that came mounted and balanced were 4 1/2 ounces out of balance. Rebalanced the front tires and they said it was good. Drives straight even when I let go of the wheel and now no wiggle. Took it up for some light playing today

Back to first question, has it been aligned yet ?
If not its out of alignment It can not be good if it hasn't been aligned since you lifted it

Samsolo49

Reaction score
Back to first question, has it been aligned yet ?
If not its out of alignment It can not be good if it hasn't been aligned since you lifted it
Not yet but I'm not driving it much right now. Should be done by the end of the week