Steel lines on steering rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bidou

Reaction score
Hi. I just bought a 2004 Liberty with a few issues. One is the steering rack. I believe there is a pinhole on one of the steel lines on the rack. It's on the one that is directly under the crankshaft pulley. Are those two lines replaceable? If so, what should I be careful with? Any tips?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They should be replaceable, easy to take off. No idea if they sell them separately. I'd get new Mopar O rings to go with them. How many miles? Any clunks? I might replace the whole rack.

Bidou

Reaction score
Ok so I think I found the lines in question on the RockAuto site. So other than the requisite bleeding of the system any other tips?

Bidou

Reaction score
Can't tell if there are any clunks because it's spraying fluid right against the serpentine belt and don't want a worst mess than there is already under the hood. The Jeep has just over 200,000 km.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you talking about the return line?
they didn't have aftermarket return line that goes from the rack to the cooler that is exactly the same as OEM.

You'll have to go straight from the rack to the cooler.
look under power steering return hose on rockauto, you'll see a few options that goes from "gear to cooler".

I did buy mopar o-rings as advised.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Can't tell if there are any clunks because it's spraying fluid right against the serpentine belt and don't want a worst mess than there is already under the hood. The Jeep has just over 200,000 km.

Those are the right lines! Just make sure you get them in the right places when you replace them, it took something thinking on my part to get them in the right spot when I put in my new steering rack.

Use a good set of flare nut wrenches. My factory ones loosened right up. I think to replace them you'll want to take the fans out and if you take the sway bar off you should have decent access. Might also have to take off the oil drainage tray off the front diff but that is a total pain in the ass so I'd avoid that if possible. I don't think you'll have to do that to replace those lines.

Might also be a good time to replace the high pressure line.

Bidou

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I just ordered the one (short one) that is leaking. Got a better look in the daylight this afternoon and it was spraying up right on the crankshaft pulley. I checked my go-to local parts dealer and they found the part in their catalogs but would have to order from the US like me. I even called the local dealer and they don't have a source, save cutting and bending and flaring a new one from scratch. The RockAuto part seems the best option but I'll have to wait 2-8 days for delivery. 21.05$ with shipping and tax. Not worth bending steel tubing LOL

Bidou

Reaction score
Just to update this thread. So the line I replaced was the one facing the front of the rack. 25$ CAD and 8 days later, I took out the old line (that was the easy part about 5 minutes) by just breaking off the line from the nuts and used a ratchet with a 13mm deep socket to allow for the chunk of line left. The hard part was to install the new one due to all the other lines in the way of using the articulated flare nut wrench. This part took about an hour due to the tight space and limited rotation space for the wrench. I could only tighten that nut halfway in by hand. The flare nut just under the crankshaft pulley was easy other than having to reach in with my face against the front cross-member. Still took less time than having to remove the rack completely. Needs a lot of patience and dexterity.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted....one thing to note is that the threads might still be visible even though the fitting it completely tight. None of mine on the new rack are flush- no leaks yet and it's been a few months. Probably just jinxed myself though! Someone here over tightened them and broke the rack.

Nightpath

Reaction score
I know this thread is kind of old but I have an 07 KJ with the same issue. The rack and pinion is a different part number and the lines aren't listed. Anyone know if these would fit the 06-07 models?

Latest posts

Members online