Rear Fog Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kruzn

Reaction score
While replacing my tail/brake light and backup light bulbs with Sylvania Zevo LED's on our 2006 Renegade, I realized that the reflector and lens for the Euro model rear fog lamps was there, just no sockets or wiring. I don't know why exactly the rear fog lights were not included or at least optional on US models, but I like the idea of having better lighting to the rear in fog/rain/snow. So...I decided to add them. Here is a quick how-to.

Remove the lamp assembly. Drill 1" hole through the rear lamp panel and through the inner reflector.

You must be registered for see images

Use a 90 degree replacement light socket for 3157 bulbs. I'm not sure what the part number is for these. I bought them at a parts store some years ago and they've been laying around the shop. They are designed to twist-lock in place, but I decided not to take the time to file the required notches in the lamp assembly. Instead, I just drilled small holes on either side and used sheet metal screws and washers to hold the socket in place. This also requires that you cut/grind off the three locking tabs on the body of the socket. The rubber seal still remains in place.

Note: If using regular 3157 incandescent bulbs, orientation of the socket is not critical. If using the Sylvania Zevo LED's, the socket should be oriented as shown to assure the LED's are aimed properly at the inner parabolic reflector. To be honest, I didn't see much difference in brightness between the regular bulbs and the Zevo's in this particular application, but I like the lower current draw and temperature and increased life of the LED's.

I decided to splice the dim (tail) side of the socket to the existing tail light wiring so I now have four tail lights instead of two. The ground wire was also spliced to existing ground wiring.

For the bright side of the socket (normally for brake and/or turn), I wired to an added fuse and SPDT relay under the hood. Of course, this required running a new wire the length of the vehicle which was a bit of a pain.

The relay is activated by a small lighted rocker switch on the dash trim panel left of the steering column. Another option would be to simply splice the new wire to the hot (positive) feed to the front fog lights. Then the rear fog lights would simply be on whenever the front fog lights are. However, I liked the idea of having separate control between front and rear.

Overall the job wasn't all that difficult, just time consuming. I now have four rear tail lights and two brighter lights when needed. :icon_cool:

Last edited:

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the added red tail light, but I wish the bottom half wasn't red so that I could have true rear fog lights. It seems silly in my opinion to have this wasted red space doing nothing and adding an additional red tail light at least makes it useful. Thanks for the write-up!

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
US DOT has issues with rear fogs and the way US based drivers would use them, or misuse them.. so they are discouraged. I don't know if they are technically illegal, and thus omitted, but there is concern from TPTB that they would be confused with activated brake lights.

I like the idea of them, I just with other drivers were intelligent enough to respect them and understand them.

Kruzn

Reaction score
US DOT has issues with rear fogs and the way US based drivers would use them, or misuse them.. so they are discouraged. I don't know if they are technically illegal, and thus omitted, but there is concern from TPTB that they would be confused with activated brake lights.

I like the idea of them, I just with other drivers were intelligent enough to respect them and understand them.

I didn't research the legalities, but I've heard some of what you mention before. However, I have seen a few Jaguars & Mercedes running red rear fog lights so I'm not sure if they are really illegal or not. Guess I'll find out if I get stopped! :gr_grin:

Of course, they could be misused such as flipping them on to "brake-check" a tailgater without actually touching the brakes. I certainly would not do that nor recommend doing that!

Kruzn

Reaction score
I like the idea of the added red tail light, but I wish the bottom half wasn't red so that I could have true rear fog lights. It seems silly in my opinion to have this wasted red space doing nothing and adding an additional red tail light at least makes it useful. Thanks for the write-up!

The idea of a bright red rear fog light is so people coming up behind can see you sooner when visibility is poor. Running white or amber (running lights) on the rear is illegal for sure.

Last edited:

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea of a bright red rear fog light is so people coming up behind can see you sooner when visibility is poor. Running white or amber (running lights) on the rear is illegal for sure.

Interesting... I thought they were white or yellow, but I guess that is just the posts that I see on XJ forums where people mount white fog lights in the rear - but these are for off road use rather than on-road.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A similar setup is done for TOAD Libbys. Then run wiring to the front for the tow vehicle. That way there is totally independent stop, turn and rear lamps.

Kruzn

Reaction score
A similar setup is done for TOAD Libbys. Then run wiring to the front for the tow vehicle. That way there is totally independent stop, turn and rear lamps.

Our Libby is a TOAD (as well as my daily driver). However, when I installed the wiring from the motorhome I connected to the stock lights, using diodes of course. I didn't think about using the lower lamp area for that.

So, I ran wiring the full length of the vehicle twice...once for the TOAD hookup and again for the fog light mod. I guess I didn't think it through far enough the first time! :emotions34:

Oh well ...that just means I got to know our Libby a little better! :gr_grin:

Here's our rig. The Jeep tows great!

The next mod is to wire in diodes on the front side marker lights and connect to the running light circuit from the RV. That will light up a dark area that exists between the back of the RV and back of the Jeep. One of the tow bar manufacturers now offers a model with amber LED strips built into the side of the towbar just for that purpose.

IMHO, for safety's sake, there is no such thing as too much light.

Last edited:

Kruzn

Reaction score
FYI....found this on Wikipedia:

[10] Rear fog lamps are not required equipment in the U.S., but they are permitted, and are found almost exclusively on European-brand vehicles in North America. Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, MINI, Land Rover, Porsche, Saab and Volvo provide functional rear fog lights on their North American models. Some vehicles from non-European brands which are adaptions of European-market offerings, such as the first generation Ford Transit Connect, come standard with rear fog lights, or vehicles with European market counterparts, such as the second generation Chrysler 300, have an option for them. The final generation Oldsmobile Aurora also had dual rear fog lights installed in the rear bumper as standard equipment.

So, it appears there is no legality issue... :)

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was used - done by the previous (local 1 owner), fairly low driven miles, but probably 10-20K TOAD. PLUS - no northern salt - Snow Bird owner.

Looked like a shop did it and removed the brake setup but left the lights. They ran HD trailer wiring front to back and I removed it, now I could use it :)

Left the clevis on the front - removed it and gave it away, would have made great tow hooks ...

Our Libby is a TOAD (as well as my daily driver). However, when I installed the wiring from the motorhome I connected to the stock lights, using diodes of course. I didn't think about using the lower lamp area for that.

So, I ran wiring the full length of the vehicle twice...once for the TOAD hookup and again for the fog light mod. I guess I didn't think it through far enough the first time! :emotions34:

Oh well ...that just means I got to know our Libby a little better! :gr_grin:

Here's our rig. The Jeep tows great!

The next mod is to wire in diodes on the front side marker lights and connect to the running light circuit from the RV. That will light up a dark area that exists between the back of the RV and back of the Jeep. One of the tow bar manufacturers now offers a model with amber LED strips built into the side of the towbar just for that purpose.

IMHO, for safety's sake, there is no such thing as too much light.

Rich75043

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit of an old thread I know but being a newcomer hopefully I'll be given a little grace lol just a little helpful tidbit, my wife's Volvo had the rear fog light and it was clear, or white if you will, and it was only on the drivers side. Also my Mini had rear fog lights and they were in the middle on the lower bumper.