No heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Medic520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting No heat in 03 liberty. Top radiator hose is hot, bottom is cold. Is this Normal?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rsb563

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first guess would be a blown thermostat. If I remember correctly, it's on the bottom hose at the engine.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the thermostat housing is right at the bottom hose on the engine. That is most likely the problem you are having. Just make sure to put HOAT coolant back in when you put in a new thermostat.

Medic520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I changed thermostat, lower hose stayed cold until a cut wire to fan. After a short time I had great great lower hose was hot. Then once I started driving it it cooled down again. I hooked fan to switch even with it off and cardboard in front of radiator it takes forever sitting still to heat up, once I start moving no heat again. I need help please.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. was t-stat installed properly?
2. was it a mopar t-stat?
3. did you bleed air out of your system?

Medic520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a stat thermostat, it's in the right way not sure about the valve on it being pointed up. Did bleed system.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Provided the system is bled properly and the new tstat is working then I'd be wondering if the water pump is pumping or you've got a big blockage in there. How about the coolant? Did you use HOAT?

Medic520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used dexcool anti freeze. Thermostat only opens once the needle is way past normal on gauge, Like 3/4. Even with fan off only . It'll blow great heat only for short time then bottom hose cools down again.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used dexcool anti freeze. Thermostat only opens once the needle is way past normal on gauge, Like 3/4. Even with fan off only . It'll blow great heat only for short time then bottom hose cools down again.

Dexcool is a no-no. If you didn't completely flush the system before adding it and mix that stuff with the factory HOAT you'll get a reaction that can produce a gel like sludge and gum up all sorts of things. I've heard it'll mess up the impeller on the water pump. :Insane:

Medic520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was drained out pretty fast.