HOW TO: Tweak your Keyless Entry settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some tips on how you can tweak your Jeep's keyless entry system to fit your indiviaul needs. Many of these options are available to program with an EVIC, but if your Libby is not equipped with one, you can still make some changes to suit your needs. The features below are available to anyone who has a keyless entry system, regardless of whether it is equipped with Sentry key/Alarm.

AUTOMATIC (ROLLING) LOCKS
This is the "Lock when the vehicle is going 15mph" feature. This feature can also be disabled through the EVIC.
The rolling locks feature can be toggled ON/OFF by using the DRB IIIt only.

HORN CHIRP DISABLING / ENABLING
This controls if you want your Libby to beep the horn when locking via the keyless entry. * Reports indicate that this does not work for 05 mdoels.
To DISABLE (cancel) the horn chirp feature,
Press and hold the transmitter LOCK button for four to ten seconds.
While pressing the LOCK button in, press the UNLOCK button.
Release both buttons.

To ENABLE the horn chirp feature, repeat the above procedure.

OPTICAL CHIRP (FLASH) DISABLING / ENABLING
This controls if you want your Libby to flash the hazard lights when locking/unlocking via the keyless entry.
To DISABLE (cancel) the optical chirp feature,
Press and hold the transmitter LOCK button for four to ten seconds.
While pressing the LOCK button in, press the TAILGATE RELEASE button.
Release both buttons.

To ENABLE the optical chirp feature, repeat the above procedure.

TAIL GATE RELEASE DELAY
The liberty can be set to pop the tailgate instantly when you press the button, or require it to be pressed and held for it to open
Press the UNLOCK button for four to ten seconds.
While pressing the UNLOCK button, press the TAIL GATE RELEASE button.
Release both buttons.

This will toggle between PRESS AND HOLD and PRESS (no delay).

UNLOCK SEQUENCE
When unlocking the liberty, you can choose between unlocking drivers door first or unlocking all doors simultaneously.
Press and hold the transmitter UNLOCK button for four to ten seconds.
While pressing the UNLOCK button in, press the LOCK button.
Release both buttons.

This will toggle between Driver door first and Unlock all doors function.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blu-

This is a great how-to, I wasn't aware of the ability to tweak the system. I am going to have to modify it a bit. Thanks.

Yoda

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya.. I knew you could do it with the EVIC, but didnt realize you could do w/o. Stumbled across this in the service manual when I was looking for something else.

LMK how it turns out.

-Blu

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
TAIL GATE RELEASE DELAY
The liberty can be set to pop the tailgate instantly when you press the button, or require it to be pressed and held for it to open
Press the UNLOCK button for four to ten seconds.
While pressing the UNLOCK button, press the TAIL GATE RELEASE button.
Release both buttons.

This will toggle between PRESS AND HOLD and PRESS (no delay).

I really could use a delay, I've accidentally poped it many times. It won't work for me. Tried it a few times but still no delay ](*,)

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really liked the unlock sequence. That was totally cool! I can't believe that worked. Great find!

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AUTOMATIC (ROLLING) LOCKS
This is the "Lock when the vehicle is going 15mph" feature. This feature can also be disabled through the EVIC.
The rolling locks feature can be toggled ON/OFF by using the DRB IIIt only.

I don't get it. I want to disable this, but what is DRB IIt??

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the scan tool the dealer uses for diagnostics; it can also be used to reprogram things like the rolling lock, change tire size in memory so your speedo is correct if you get bigger tires, etc.

DavidG

Reaction score
2005 Liberty Renegade keyless entry options did not work

Thanks for the list of features. I read some of them in the owners manual for my new 2005 Liberty Renegade. I wanted to disable the chirp (and enable the flash) on locking, but using the method described did nothing. When I took it to the dealer service department, they said it required the computer and that is what they used (an external electronic device) to reprogram it for me. Does the keyless method only work for certain types?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may have changed in 05. If someone gets a copy of the service manual for an 05, this info should be in there.

-Blu

Chaz

Reaction score
Some work, Some dont...

I have an 05' CRD and some of the tweak features work... The info in the manual is the same, but I cannot disable the damn horn chirp... I hate the horn chirp...LOL

I can change the "optical" chirp and the "all doors un-lock"

JeepnJer

Reaction score
Keyless Entry Options

New member here... Same thing with my '05 Renegade... can't disable the horn chirp on remote lock. I hate that too, especially when you're out in the quiet forest. Have to remember to use the door lock button.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the EVIC on my 05 renegade. I know it's possible to disable the honk from there. I wish it were possible to make it so that it only honks when you lock it when it's already locked. I like the idea of the audible confirmation, but when I come home late at night to a quiet neighborhood, I don't want it to honk at me.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
but when I come home late at night to a quiet neighborhood, I don't want it to honk at me.

Before closing the door, lock them with the button on the door, this enables the alarm and eliminates the honk.

Bob

JeepnJer

Reaction score
Se7enLC Wrote:
I have the EVIC on my 05 renegade. I know it's possible to disable the honk from there. I wish it were possible to make it so that it only honks when you lock it when it's already locked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Velly eenteresting... I just went out and hit the lock button on my remote with my 05 Renegade already locked and the horn chirps everytime. I have the light flash disabled. I don't have an EVIC (yet).

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JeepnJer said:
Se7enLC Wrote:
I have the EVIC on my 05 renegade. I know it's possible to disable the honk from there. I wish it were possible to make it so that it only honks when you lock it when it's already locked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Velly eenteresting... I just went out and hit the lock button on my remote with my 05 Renegade already locked and the horn chirps everytime. I have the light flash disabled. I don't have an EVIC (yet).

I should have been more clear....I meant that I want it to ONLY honk if it was already locked. As in, clicking the lock button once should lock the doors and flash the lights without honking, but clicking it again honks to re-iterate the fact that it's locked. I guess it's fine without the honk, since I can hear it click when I'm 10 feet away. I just want that "this car is alarmed" noise to come out when I park in questionable neighborhoods.

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
JeepnJer said:
Se7enLC Wrote:

I should have been more clear....I meant that I want it to ONLY honk if it was already locked. As in, clicking the lock button once should lock the doors and flash the lights without honking, but clicking it again honks to re-iterate the fact that it's locked. I guess it's fine without the honk, since I can hear it click when I'm 10 feet away. I just want that "this car is alarmed" noise to come out when I park in questionable neighborhoods.

I actually agree - my wife's honda does that - nice feature.

Latest posts

Members online