How to tow behind a RV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raysteel

Reaction score
I have a motor home & just bought a tow bar for the Jeep. How do you hookup the 2 ends of tow bar to front of Jeep?

tboneil24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best to purchase a tow plate from the same company as your tow bar. You'll have to take off your bumper and install the tow plate. Depending on the brand, you may need to slightly alter your bumper cover. I know there are instructions on youtube for the blueox tow plate installation on a jeep liberty,

Last edited:

Speedy

Reaction score
My base plate was $300 and $150 to install at a local hitch place. They also did the wireing. No alteration to the bumper needed. The base plate mounts stick out just a little to hook up the tow bar. I wouldn't even try to do this myself.

tboneil24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My base plate was $300 and $150 to install at a local hitch place. They also did the wireing. No alteration to the bumper needed. The base plate mounts stick out just a little to hook up the tow bar. I wouldn't even try to do this myself.

Speedy, what kind of lights did you use on your toad Liberty? I just use the magnetic on top but thinking I want something that uses the normal brake lights.:party52:

Speedy

Reaction score
Tbone-

The Jeep uses a diode installed on the rear lights. I just plug it into the RV and all lights work. Turn signal, running and brake lights. I would really suggest you have someone install it properly. Most places that sell and install hitches can do this. The base plate can be bought on line. It has to coinside with the tow bar you are using. In other words, if you have a blue ox tow bar, you need a blue ox base plate.

tboneil24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbone-

The Jeep uses a diode installed on the rear lights. I just plug it into the RV and all lights work. Turn signal, running and brake lights. I would really suggest you have someone install it properly. Most places that sell and install hitches can do this. The base plate can be bought on line. It has to coinside with the tow bar you are using. In other words, if you have a blue ox tow bar, you need a blue ox base plate.

I have demco plate with bar already installed. Do you know what brand makes the diodes for the lights? Was your light kit universal or made for the jeep specifically?