HOW TO: Replace factory front tow hooks with dual hitch or D-rings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Materials:
-(2) factory tow hook mounting plates and hardware
You must be registered for see images attach

-(2) 6" square hitch receiver tubes (2"x2")

-(2) shackle receivers

-(2) 5/8" hitch pins of your choice

-15mm ratcheting wrench

-Welding gun or someone who knows how to weld

-Self etching primer (optional)

-Semi-gloss black paint (optional)

-Satin clearcoat (optional)

-Loc-Tite (optional)

Instructions:
1. Remove factory tow hooks and mounting plates from Jeep using 15mm wrench. PDF instructions on this process can be found by clicking here.

2. Remove tow hooks from mounting plates using 15mm wrench.

3. Weld hitch receiver tubes to mounting plates.

4. Clean and prime/paint/clearcoat welded hitch receiver tubes.

5. Mount welded hitch receiver tubes to Jeep using original hardware.
NOTE: I suggest replacing the original M-bolts with stud plates as the stud plates are much, much stronger than the M-bolts. Part #52059352AB, you will need 2.
3604-dual-front-hitch-close-up.jpg

6. Insert shackle receivers and secure using 5/8" hitch pins. A few drops of Loc-Tite on the D-ring threads helps to deter theft.

Hope this how-to helps some people out who are interested in replacing their factory tow hooks with d-rings or hitch receivers.

Last edited:

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea, very nice write up and pictures as well.
I may do this to mine, I already have the tow hooks installed.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elmer, quick question:

Did you leave the M-bolts in when you took the OEM tow hooks off and retain them with the nuts? Or did you remove them, paint 'em up, and then fish them back through the bolt holes?

Bob

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elmer, quick question:

Did you leave the M-bolts in when you took the OEM tow hooks off and retain them with the nuts? Or did you remove them, paint 'em up, and then fish them back through the bolt holes?

Bob

Good question. I left the M-bolts on, retaining them with the nuts. I considered taking them out and cleaning them up/painting them, but after reading a few posts about how they can be a weak point when using the shackles as a recovery point, I decided to use them temporarily until I order some of the stud plates that come with the hooks when you order them from the factory. They're supposed to be much, much stronger. Part #52059352AB.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couple of comments, even with the locking pins you can still un-thread the d rings. and swipe those...just food for thought.
also might be worthwhile to include these instructions:

http://jeepdex.com/pdfs/82206124.pdf

for those who might need more insight on removing or installing the factory tow hooks.

great info otherwise

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couple of comments, even with the locking pins you can still un-thread the d rings. and swipe those...just food for thought.
also might be worthwhile to include these instructions:

http://jeepdex.com/pdfs/82206124.pdf

for those who might need more insight on removing or installing the factory tow hooks.

great info otherwise

Excellent points.

I used some Loc-Tite on the D-rings, so they can't be removed by hand. Of course, someone could easily use a breaker bar to get them loose, but if someone is that determined to get the D-rings, they can have them. Would much rather replace the rings themselves then the entire receiver piece.

Adding that PDF to the OP now. Thanks for that!

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the receiver tubes angled up or down at all once bolted to the jeep? Or are they level?

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're perfectly level. I was concerned about that too because the tow hook mounting plates themselves are angled but if you look closely at the spot where they bolt on, there is a bump at the back that serves to level them out.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're perfectly level. I was concerned about that too because the tow hook mounting plates themselves are angled but if you look closely at the spot where they bolt on, there is a bump at the back that serves to level them out.

Thanks, that's why I was asking, I noticed that to.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$30 - 2 Hitch receiver tubes
$30 - Welding
$60 - 2 Shackle receivers (came with hitch pins which I replaced with locking pins)
$20 - 2 Locking hitch pins
<$10 - Primer/paint/clearcoat/Loc-tite (this is an estimate as I already had these)

So all in all, about $150 total. If you just want dual front hitches, you're looking at about $60. These totals will obviously be lower if you can do the welding yourself, or if you don't mind using regular old hitch pins.

Last edited:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the tow hooks that cost would be added to.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't already have factory tow hooks, all you actually need are the mounting plates so I'd suggest buying them used if you can find them. Probably about $40 or less for two plates with hardware.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Elmer, the mounting system I have with my factory-installed tow hooks is the M-bolt system? Or is it the stud plate system?

Or another way of putting it: Do I have the weak system or the strong one? :disgust:

Bob

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Elmer, the mounting system I have with my factory-installed tow hooks is the M-bolt system? Or is it the stud plate system?

I believe the factory-installed hooks come with M-bolts, but if you order tow hooks from mopar they include the stud plates instead. You can order just the stud plates without hooks as well.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone ends up doing this mod, please post up some pics of the finished product. Interested to see how it will look on different versions of the KJ.