How To: Replace Backup Lamp Switch on Manual Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samlesher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I performed this fix on a 2004 Jeep Liberty Columbia Edition, Manual Transmission (NV-3550)

Symptom: You shift into reverse, but neither of your reverse tail lights come on.

Fix:

First, check your lightbulbs to make sure they are good.

Second, check your fuse. Fuse #39 controls the Rear Window Defroster Relay, Flasher, and Backup Lights

If neither of these appear to be causing the problem, replace your Backup Lamp Switch. This is a plunger type switch that screws into the driver's side of your transmission. When you shift into reverse, the ball bearing on the end of the backup lamp switch depresses and turns on your reverse lights.

Here is a photo of the old faulty backup lamp switch next to the box for the new one. I replaced it with a BWD S9150P that I purchased at Pep Boys for around $10.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a photo from the ground up looking at the driver side of the transmission, just to the rear of the drain plug, that shows where the backup lamp switch screws in.

You must be registered for see images attach

Disconnect the wire harness from the backup lamp switch by slightly lifting the tab and pulling.

Remove the old backup lamp switch using a 7/8 deep socket.

Install the new backup lamp switch. Start the threads by hand and then tighten clockwise with a 7/8 deep socket.

Reconnect the wire harness.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the beauty of collected knowledge freely shared....:happy160:

craigholliday

Reaction score
I have the same problem, but when ordering the part, the tech wanted to know which transmission i had...so how do you tell which transmission you have?
thanks in advance.
-craig
durango, co

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same problem, but when ordering the part, the tech wanted to know which transmission i had...so how do you tell which transmission you have?
thanks in advance.
-craig
durango, co

What year do you have?
Helps if you fill in year etc on your Jeep that way we can tell you right away
Thanks

Latest posts

Members online