HOW TO: Remove Your Stock Radio.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
How to remove the factory radio.

removeradio.jpg

Bennett

bearxox

Reaction score
2003 & 2005 Liberty's

We have 2 Jeep Libertys, a 2003 and a 2005. My problem is that I am not sure how to get behind the radio to hook up a Starmate Sirius receiver FM Modulator cable, so it is directly connected. I got the receivers in the back windows on the passenger sides and have had them there about a month, and use the power adapter there it works great like that, but due to the fact that it fades out, I bought 2 FM Cables to directly hook them into the radio, but need to hook them through the antenna plug behind the radio. Do these models with a cavity in the bottom and no ash tray, have the same trim panel removal as the one shown? I want to make sure I remove them without breaking them. Thanks, Jim

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Get a flashlight and look inside the cavities to see if there is a screw... I don't have a liberty with a cavity, so I am not sure. I am guessing there will be one screw most likely. But for the most part it just pops out.

Bennett

bearxox

Reaction score
Screw

Found the screw on my 2005, gonna have to check the 2003 when it gets home, thanks again

dnm45227

Reaction score
Got a question. Our '02 Ltd has a tape player, larger numbers and it scrolls info (song, station, etc.). The '05 Renegade has a cd player, no tape player, doesn't scroll info and smaller numbers. Is it possible to do a swap. My wife would like the radio that's in the '02 in the '05.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
Got a question. Our '02 Ltd has a tape player, larger numbers and it scrolls info (song, station, etc.). The '05 Renegade has a cd player, no tape player, doesn't scroll info and smaller numbers. Is it possible to do a swap. My wife would like the radio that's in the '02 in the '05.

Yup, the harness's should be the same. So it should just be a plug and play type thing.

jarvis

Reaction score
My tip: to remove the trim around the radio, I found that a plastic spatula from the kichen worked great. Simply slip it into the gap on the passenger side, gently pry the clips loose, repeat at top, and then driver's side.

Oh, and to remove the radio, undo and remove the Phillips head screws, NOT the torx. ](*,)

\:D/

wildhighlander

Reaction score
THANKS!

I haven't yanked a stock radio out of a dash since 1989- thanks for the how-to. I am on the road a lot and was getting tired of swapping CDs with the old radio. Put a new CD/MP3 player in and it was a breeze. Now I can drive to Erie and back (5 hour trip) listening to the same CD! Thanks, love the site. =D>

You've inspired me to add an amp and a sub. (Purely to brush up on my automotive wiring skills of course.)

G

I've have never worked on my car before but this looks kinda easy. what tools do I need? I have a new CD player a friend gave me I think I want to try to put it in myself.

Thanks

FrenchCamp49er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
howdypartner said:
I've have never worked on my car before but this looks kinda easy. what tools do I need? I have a new CD player a friend gave me I think I want to try to put it in myself.

Thanks

All you need is a phillips screw driver and something really thin to pry the bezel off, it took me all of two minutes to get the radio out.

mak1965

Reaction score
How do I know which other radio to buy, to replace the stock radio in a Libby 2007 Sport??? I really do not wanna pay someone!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean? Any radio will fit in there...you'll need a wire harness adapter (unless you don't mind hacking on your wiring - I've done it before) and a mounting kit.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't forget the antenna adapter.....dash kit, wiring adapter, and antenna adapter will cost around $45 or so if you go to BestBuy or equivalent. BUT, if you order from www.crutchfield.com you get all that stuff for free.

tainted_darkness

Reaction score
aux input

2006 libby sport
i was just wondering if there was a way to hard wire an aux input to a stock stereo?

Equis454

Reaction score
Has anyone ever created a way to toggle between the CD changer and an aux in port? I'd like to add the aux in for an MP3 player but not real keen on losing the CD changer even though I probably won't use it often.

Thoughts?

-Equis

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's a CD?

Hack into the changer cable, isolate the signal and route it through a JL Audio CL-SES and add up to two additional sources. You should know what you're doing before attempting this however.

Equis454

Reaction score
Rockies - I used the word Keen in my post... yes I still actually own CDs. HAHA

I was thinking of this method too, but wasn't sure if anyone had ever done it before and how successful it was.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.