HOW TO: Program a new keyless entry/alarm remote

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Programming a new keyless entry remote

To begin, you will need an existing (WORKING) remote, and the new remote(s) you want to program.
  1. Press (LOCK) button 5 times at 2 second Intervals to resynchronize transmitter, Attempt to function transmitter, If working as designed discontinue programming.
  2. Turn ignition to run position, (Allow Ignition chimes to stop).
  3. Using any original (working )transmitter, press the [UNLOCK] button for 4 to 10 seconds.
  4. Within the specified 4 to l0 seconds, continue pressing the [UNLOCK] button and press the [PANIC] button for 1 second and release both buttons. A chime will sound to indicate that the transmitter programming mode has been entered (allow 3 seconds for chime to sound).
  5. Press [LOCK] and [UNLOCK] buttons simultaneously for 1 second and release.
  6. Press and release any button an the same transmitter and a chime will sound after successfully programming the transmitter.
  7. Repeat steps 5 through 6 to program additional transmitters.
  8. Turn ignition to OFF position. Transmitter programming mode will discontinue after 60 seconds. (All transmitter programming must be completed within time specified).
NOTE
If equipped with VTSS, the system must be disarmed and/or unlocked to enter program mode.

Warning:
Simultaneous programming of multiple vehicles should be avoided as any transmitter activated within 30 meters (100 feet) can get programmed and may result in cross-vehicle programming.

Part Number for remote: 04602260AA

This info was taken from http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002/08-007-02.htm and has been distilled to only apply to KJs

93Miata

Reaction score
Worked for me.

All I needed was to add remotes to my receiver. I got new units for about 1/3 dealer price for my 02 Liberty & 93 Grand Cheorkee on -

http://www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

They seem to have remotes & instructions for everything on their site.

culmer

Reaction score
Is there any way to do this without the original remote?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not without interfacing to the Libby's BCM -- you'd need to go to the dealership for that or buy a tool thats likely as expensive as your vehicle.

They should be able to do it for you tho, and it shouldn't be ridiculously expensive -- I would guess something on the order of 1/2 hour labor.

-Blu

culmer

Reaction score
Thanks, I went to the dealer today and got it done for free after i purchased the remote from them for $57

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't work for me, no chime sounded after 3 seconds. The new remote worked, but then both of my original remotes wouldn't work any more. I got a chime after about 20 seconds.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this today, a few notes for those who read this...

1. Press (LOCK) button 5 times at 2 second Intervals to resynchronize transmitter, Attempt to function transmitter, If working as designed discontinue programming.
You Don't have to do step 1 if you already have a known working remote, for example you just used it to unlock the Jeep to get in and program your extra remote.
2. Turn ignition to run position, (Allow Ignition chimes to stop).
Close the door and you won't have to wait as long.
3. Using any original (working )transmitter, press the [UNLOCK] button for 4 to 10 seconds.
I pushed the unlock button and counted to four.
4. Within the specified 4 to 10 seconds, continue pressing the [UNLOCK] button and press the [PANIC] button for 1 second and release both buttons. A chime will sound to indicate that the transmitter programming mode has been entered (allow 3 seconds for chime to sound).
Just press the panic button and then release both, if you press too long it doesn't seem to work. Mine did chime, but some report theirs didn't, took about 4-5 seconds before i heard the chime.
5. Press [LOCK] and [UNLOCK] buttons simultaneously for 1 second and release.
Here is the GOTCHA, you HAVE TO DO THIS for your original working remote also otherwise it gets written out of the system!!! What i recommend is to do your original remote first because if anything is wrong with the spare your trying to program it can screw things up, i found lots of reports of this on other forums.
6. Press and release any button an the same transmitter and a chime will sound after successfully programming the transmitter.
I pressed the LOCK button and the door locks cycled, but there wasn't a chime to indicate that it successfully programmed the transmitter. So if your locks cycle take it as the sign that its done.
Repeat steps 5 through 6 to program additional transmitters.
AGAIN MAKE SURE you did your original remote, i suggest putting that one back into the system first and then doing your spare or additional one your adding.
Turn ignition to OFF position. Transmitter programming mode will discontinue after 60 seconds. (All transmitter programming must be completed within time specified).
This last step caught me also. I read this in the service manual also and i figured the way it was worded in there that the programming mode would discontinue after shutting off the ignition and freaked when both of my remotes wouldn't work! You still have to wait a full minute for the programming mode to expire. Then try both remotes and make sure they work.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a used remote from eBay. And can't seem to program it. No chime. The place where I bought it gave me instructions, which vary slightly from the owners manual. And the instructions above, are slightly different also. I tried both the others... now I'm going to try the instructions above. I will try it several times. If it doesn't work, I will return my remote and get my money back. So frustrated!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a used remote from eBay. And can't seem to program it. No chime. The place where I bought it gave me instructions, which vary slightly from the owners manual. And the instructions above, are slightly different also. I tried both the others... now I'm going to try the instructions above. I will try it several times. If it doesn't work, I will return my remote and get my money back. So frustrated!

I haven't read the OP's instruction but I followed this

[YT]ZXjbyER_Ye0[/YT]

Latest posts

Members online