Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > How To

Register to remove these ads.

How To

HOW TO: Oil & Filter Change Procedure '05 CRD

This is a discussion on HOW TO: Oil & Filter Change Procedure '05 CRD within the How To forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Well, the '05 Liberty Limited CRD 4x4 turned over 5,707 trouble-free miles today. ...

In this section it explains how to do installations and modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HOW TO: Oil & Filter Change Procedure '05 CRD

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Well, the '05 Liberty Limited CRD 4x4 turned over 5,707 trouble-free miles today. I had already rounded up my 7 quarts of Mobil 1 0W40 oil and MOPAR filter. I pulled the CRD onto the ramps and was ready to begin....I thought I had everything I needed to do the oil change, but I was mistaken.

Upon crawling underneath to begin draining the oil, I discovered it did not have a standard oil drain plug. I was expecting a 13 mm or 15 mm six-point standard drain plug only to find an 8 mm hex-head drain plug. Unfortunately, all I have in my collection is a few torx style sockets. I yell across the street to my neighbor, Meredith, and he indeed has a hex-head assortment of sockets.

Now I'm ready to go....I have the drain pan, ramps, oil, oil filter, oil filter wrench, 3/8" ratchet and 8mm hex-head socket. I'll have to make a trip to TSC or Sears next time for the 8 mm hex-head socket to be added to my collection.

The oil change interval is 12,500 miles under Schedule "A" and 6,250 miles under Schedule "B". I know you shouldn't necessarily judge oil condition by its color, but this was the nastiest oil I've ever seen for 5,707 miles. I've never had any of my CTD's with 7k or 8k oil change intervals look this bad....who knows, maybe it's just typical of the initial first oil change.

The owner's manual calls for 6.4 quarts of oil....I was unsure if that did or did not include filter capacity. I started off with 6.5 quarts, started the engine, checked for leaks, then gave it around 10 minutes to drain back into the pan for an accurate check. It was above "min" but not to "max" so I dumped the remaining 1/2 quart in......it's now at the "max" mark on the dipstick. The ol' CRD also got a tire rotation, air pressure check, and a visual inspection for objects foreign to rubber (screws, nails, etc). I also picked out a few rocks with the old screwdriver while I was at it.

Greg
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash w/Sirius Satellite Radio, Magnaflow #15870 Cat-Back Exhaust.
gsbrockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

good write up! Why did then use a hex head for a drain plug????......interesting

JeepKJ Country Member #003
-2003 Khaki KJ Sport V-6
-NP 231 Command-Trac
-42RLE Automatic (perhaps the first KJ with the 42RLE)
-235/70/R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's

Please help support the site! With out your support, we wouldn't be here!!! To contribute CLICK HERE!!!

They arrested me for being drunk in pubLIC.....I didn't wanna be drunk in pubLIC....I wanted to be drunk in a bar!!!! They threw me in pubLIC....arrest them!!!

2003KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by 2003KJ
good write up! Why did then use a hex head for a drain plug????......interesting
Don't have a clue....I guess the Italians have their reasons.
Greg
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash w/Sirius Satellite Radio, Magnaflow #15870 Cat-Back Exhaust.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Man, that was some filthy looking oil. I'll be interested to see if its that bad next time...

LIVESTRONG
-Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or died of cancer

JeepKJ Country #025

2007 White Jeep Wrangler X 2-door
yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by yoda13
Man, that was some filthy looking oil. I'll be interested to see if its that bad next time...
Its a diesel thing ...........it may look like hell. but it doesn't smell nasty like used oil out of a gas motor.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I hear you, but I used to have a Dodge with a Cummins in it, and it never looked that bad, nor does the oil that comes out of the folks motorhome.

LIVESTRONG
-Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or died of cancer

JeepKJ Country #025

2007 White Jeep Wrangler X 2-door
yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wonder if it being synthetic has something to do with it............the CRD is my first synthetic lubed diesel.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to 04RkMtnKJ

Very good write up. The dodge diesels have used the hex head plug for years. AS far as that oil being that color is normal, sometimes can stain your hands without a good scrubbing.

As far as the oil including the filter, when changing the oil on the cummins it was always a good idea to fill the filter before installing. Although from the pic it doesnt look as though that will be possible on the CRD location.
mounted maglite
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/774661

LIVESTRONG
04RkMtnKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm on my 3rd CTD....a 2003 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Sport w/HO and six speed. I've always pre-filled/primed the Fleetguard filter with one quart of oil, then toss in the other 10/11 quarts in the crankcase, as the filters on the CTD's do screw on vertically. The drain plug on all the CTD's are a breeze to remove and install...simply get a 3/8" ratchet with short extension and you're good to go. Looks like the CRD could have been as simple...I'm sure a 1/4" or 3/8" would have worked as well, but the Italians opted to throw in the 8mm hex-head for some odd reason.

Priming the oil filter on the CRD is next to impossible given the location of the filter, as you well noticed in the pics.

In all my years of ownership of the CTD's (from 1997 on) I've never had engine oil turn this black in 5,700 miles. Even on the '02 Liberty Sport 4x4 w/3.7L V6, the oil would still be a little brown at 4,000 mile change intervals up through the 52k miles we put on it before buying the CRD. (I always used Castrol 10W30 and a MOPAR filter).

Optional oil for the CRD is 5W40---I may run some Rotella-T 5W40 Full Synthetic in it the next time...it's about $13.95 per gallon versus $5.25 per quart for the Mobil 1 0W40. I use the Rotella-T 5W40 in my CTD with great results.

Greg
Old 01-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
The little CRD just turned over 11,458 miles today and got its second oil change and tire rotation......the 0W40 Mobil 1 was just as nasty this time as the last time. I've decided to switch to some good ol' Shell Rotella-T 5W40 Full Synthetic; I expect to have some better results as far as cleanliness of the oil this go around.
I guess time & miles will tell.
The REVO's are doing great also !
Greg