HOW TO: Oil & Filter Change Procedure '05 CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the '05 Liberty Limited CRD 4x4 turned over 5,707 trouble-free miles today. I had already rounded up my 7 quarts of Mobil 1 0W40 oil and MOPAR filter. I pulled the CRD onto the ramps and was ready to begin....I thought I had everything I needed to do the oil change, but I was mistaken.

You must be registered for see images

Upon crawling underneath to begin draining the oil, I discovered it did not have a standard oil drain plug. I was expecting a 13 mm or 15 mm six-point standard drain plug only to find an 8 mm hex-head drain plug. Unfortunately, all I have in my collection is a few torx style sockets. I yell across the street to my neighbor, Meredith, and he indeed has a hex-head assortment of sockets.

Now I'm ready to go....I have the drain pan, ramps, oil, oil filter, oil filter wrench, 3/8" ratchet and 8mm hex-head socket. I'll have to make a trip to TSC or Sears next time for the 8 mm hex-head socket to be added to my collection.

The oil change interval is 12,500 miles under Schedule "A" and 6,250 miles under Schedule "B". I know you shouldn't necessarily judge oil condition by its color, but this was the nastiest oil I've ever seen for 5,707 miles. I've never had any of my CTD's with 7k or 8k oil change intervals look this bad....who knows, maybe it's just typical of the initial first oil change.

The owner's manual calls for 6.4 quarts of oil....I was unsure if that did or did not include filter capacity. I started off with 6.5 quarts, started the engine, checked for leaks, then gave it around 10 minutes to drain back into the pan for an accurate check. It was above "min" but not to "max" so I dumped the remaining 1/2 quart in......it's now at the "max" mark on the dipstick. The ol' CRD also got a tire rotation, air pressure check, and a visual inspection for objects foreign to rubber (screws, nails, etc). I also picked out a few rocks with the old screwdriver while I was at it.

Greg

2003KJ

Reaction score
good write up! Why did then use a hex head for a drain plug????......interesting

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
good write up! Why did then use a hex head for a drain plug????......interesting

Don't have a clue....I guess the Italians have their reasons. :-k
Greg

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that was some filthy looking oil. I'll be interested to see if its that bad next time... :-k

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yoda13 said:
Man, that was some filthy looking oil. I'll be interested to see if its that bad next time... :-k

Its a diesel thing (biggrin) ...........it may look like hell. but it doesn't smell nasty like used oil out of a gas motor.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you, but I used to have a Dodge with a Cummins in it, and it never looked that bad, nor does the oil that comes out of the folks motorhome.

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if it being synthetic has something to do with it............the CRD is my first synthetic lubed diesel.

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good write up. The dodge diesels have used the hex head plug for years. AS far as that oil being that color is normal, sometimes can stain your hands without a good scrubbing.

As far as the oil including the filter, when changing the oil on the cummins it was always a good idea to fill the filter before installing. Although from the pic it doesnt look as though that will be possible on the CRD location.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd CTD....a 2003 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Sport w/HO and six speed. I've always pre-filled/primed the Fleetguard filter with one quart of oil, then toss in the other 10/11 quarts in the crankcase, as the filters on the CTD's do screw on vertically. The drain plug on all the CTD's are a breeze to remove and install...simply get a 3/8" ratchet with short extension and you're good to go. Looks like the CRD could have been as simple...I'm sure a 1/4" or 3/8" would have worked as well, but the Italians opted to throw in the 8mm hex-head for some odd reason.

Priming the oil filter on the CRD is next to impossible given the location of the filter, as you well noticed in the pics.

In all my years of ownership of the CTD's (from 1997 on) I've never had engine oil turn this black in 5,700 miles. Even on the '02 Liberty Sport 4x4 w/3.7L V6, the oil would still be a little brown at 4,000 mile change intervals up through the 52k miles we put on it before buying the CRD. (I always used Castrol 10W30 and a MOPAR filter).

Optional oil for the CRD is 5W40---I may run some Rotella-T 5W40 Full Synthetic in it the next time...it's about $13.95 per gallon versus $5.25 per quart for the Mobil 1 0W40. I use the Rotella-T 5W40 in my CTD with great results.

Greg

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The little CRD just turned over 11,458 miles today and got its second oil change and tire rotation......the 0W40 Mobil 1 was just as nasty this time as the last time. I've decided to switch to some good ol' Shell Rotella-T 5W40 Full Synthetic; I expect to have some better results as far as cleanliness of the oil this go around.
I guess time & miles will tell.
The REVO's are doing great also !
Greg

phoenixbirdl

Reaction score
Great story. My 06 libby is in its forth oil change @ 41000miles and the oil still looks that way. So I just got use to it :- )

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*thinking*

I have a 2005 jeep liberty limited.. loaded every option , even the chrome rims... 22g pkg

Im thinking of getting a 06 crd, only 5 left in USA! loaded cept bun warmers.. but all else it's got!

Would you guys trade for a crd or just keep the 3.7. I have 15k miles on my 05 libby!

Only thing holding up is the dealer only found with tan inside (id love to see pics of the tan leather inside) and dealer might swap out 17's from a limited jeep as I hate the 16" crd rims.. any thoughts? am I nuts?

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Libertydude -

As a sort of answer to your question, I just traded my '05 Liberty CRD for a new '07 Liberty with the 3.7.

We initially traded for the CRD last summer (2005) when diesel fuel was much cheaper than gasoline, and I had visions of getting 26+ MPG with the CRD. Wrong on both counts! The prices of diesel and gas have flip-flopped (with diesel being much more expensive than gasoline) and the CRD's real-world mileage was no where near what I had hoped for. Granted, if I got it up to - say - 50mph, set the cruise, re-set the computer, and could run it straight and level for 10 or 12 miles I would see 26 to 26.5 mpg. My actual driving, though, is about 50% city and 50% highway, and I always run at least 70 mph highway to avoid getting run over. My overall mileage was running between 20.5 and 21.5 mpg. Factoring in the nuiscance factor of having to drive out of my way to get diesel fuel, screwing around with checking the water seperator, making a God-awful mess all over me and driveway every time I changed the oil, I decided it just wasn't worth it. FWIW

KalleXX

Reaction score
... but this was the nastiest oil I've ever seen ...

It is a good sign that the oil keeps all the dirt from the engine suspended. If the oil is not as black, it is a sign that the oil do not keep the engine as clean ...

BTW: I will pour some Redline 0W40 into mine CRD soon.

KalleXX