How to mount led light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrookes24

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking to mount an led light bar on the roof of my liberty. Does anyone know what mounting brackets to use for the installation? Thanks.

danrookes24

Reaction score
I don't have a bar yet. Looking to see what mount works.if there isnt any i will just buy a smaller one for the front bumper.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of it is going to come down to the length of the light bar. Spend the dough for a really long one and you might need something curved to bend down around what would be the gutter area if the Liberty actually had gutters. I plan to add some type of lights at some point but whatever I get will be mounted to my roof rack. I personally would not be keen on drilling holes in the roof to mount anything else since I like to take my showers in private. :icon_lol: Even the one hole necessary for the wiring pass-through is enough to make me nervous.

I think you're in a situation where you ought to consider the light and bracket as a package deal, since finding a great mount and not having it match you light (or vice-versa) would be a problem.

Johniebravo

Reaction score
I'm running into this problem myself right now... I have a 50' curved 500w bar.. found a guy who custom fabs mounting brackets on here for our roof rack tracks. Let me know if you want his info, he has a profile on here.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need for anything to be fabbed up
A 42" curved light bar is the best size to use for the roof and also I used GMC light bar mounts
Check out my pictures/posts about mine I installed
Pretty easy job

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is everyone buying light bars that are way too wide for the roof of a KJ? I mean come on measure once . :happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of it is going to come down to the length of the light bar. Spend the dough for a really long one and you might need something curved to bend down around what would be the gutter area if the Liberty actually had gutters. I plan to add some type of lights at some point but whatever I get will be mounted to my roof rack. I personally would not be keen on drilling holes in the roof to mount anything else since I like to take my showers in private. :icon_lol: Even the one hole necessary for the wiring pass-through is enough to make me nervous.

I think you're in a situation where you ought to consider the light and bracket as a package deal, since finding a great mount and not having it match you light (or vice-versa) would be a problem.

No need to do any drilling at all

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly.. 50" is too wide
Also, there's no drilling at all for roof lights
There's a rubber/plastic type thing (like a sideways gutter) that goes down the side of the windshield that's perfect for the wire to get tucked into, then you go under the cowl, to the battery and then through the firewall (at least this is what I did)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly.. 50" is too wide
Also, there's no drilling at all for roof lights
There's a rubber/plastic type thing (like a sideways gutter) that goes down the side of the windshield that's perfect for the wire to get tucked into, then you go under the cowl, to the battery and then through the firewall (at least this is what I did)

Pretty close to what I did as well

jeep lib05

Reaction score
No need for anything to be fabbed up
A 42" curved light bar is the best size to use for the roof and also I used GMC light bar mounts
Check out my pictures/posts about mine I installed
Pretty easy job

what year GMC brackets you using? I have an 05 liberty an want to mount a light bar above my windshield I considered going back to my roof rack but I think it's back to far an would look much better above the window.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year GMC brackets you using? I have an 05 liberty an want to mount a light bar above my windshield I considered going back to my roof rack but I think it's back to far an would look much better above the window.

What a familiar name you've got there..
Any mount should work as long as it's for a curved lightbar

jeep lib05

Reaction score
Perfect, thanks! yes I guess the names are just about the same, sorry about that I was filling out the forum to join an the most time consuming part was a user name.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running into this problem myself right now... I have a 50' curved 500w bar.. found a guy who custom fabs mounting brackets on here for our roof rack tracks. Let me know if you want his info, he has a profile on here.

Bump for info on the brackets
I don't want a hack job and spent money for custom brackets before and it was perfect (Cherokee)
Any suggestions , contact info?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're wanting it mounted to the roof rails then just use any mount but if you're wanting to mount it like me and some others did then you'll need GMC mounts from Amazon
Just make sure they're for a curved light bar if going with a curved 42", also make sure they're for a GMC because they have an arch on the bottom of the mount that goes perfectly inside the door

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online