HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Article originally posted by BluPhant

EDIT BY HOOSIERJEEPER 8/3/10
ADDED PICS FROM TONYCRD
Mark the surroundings of the overhead console with a pencil before you start cutting...stay around 3/8 on the inside of your pencil mark.
So During the cutting:

You must be registered for see images

After cutting the headliner:

evic.jpg

This is an EVIC module. You can tell because the text is printed on the buttons, and there is a "menu" button.
By contrast, OTIS has the text below and lacks the menu button.
The three buttons in the middle (OPTIONAL) are for HomeLink - opening garage doors, and such

EVIC and OTIS are the two differnt types of overhead computers that are available for the liberty. With them, you can tell direction, outdoor temp, and a wealth of other features. Miles per gallon and instant miles per gallon are available on EVICs. It's a cool little gadget that the techies in the house will enjoy. The only scary part of the process is cutting the headliner to fit the computer. Other than that, it's pretty easy.

(BluPhant Edit) Bennett has made a copy of this webpage on this server, so it should be much more reliable. Click here for the local copy.

Here is a great article available that details the installation process step-by-step.

I got an EVIC on ebay (without homelink) (Alternative search for ebay) with the temp sensor (a $30 some odd dealer part) for $70 shipped. This is a nice addition to your liberty if yours did not come with this option. Buying the parts at a dealer can be cost prohibative (in excess of $500) so scrapyards are likely your best bet.

Note if you have a 2004 or better, you'll need a 2004 or better evic. While this article applies to 2002-2003 kjs, if you get the right EVIC for an '04 the directions should be the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Updated '04 information from RoadRunner
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Technically, you don't need an 04 Liberty EVIC for an 04. Any model that works on the others also works fine on the 04's. I've used 4 different ones (00 Chrysler OTIS to 03 GC EVIC) on my 04 Sport. What you probably mean to say is that you will not get the "ambient air temp." readout unless you use the 04 EVIC on the 04 Liberty.

But, even without the temp. readout, I enjoy my installation immensely. In fact, I get "instant MPG" which is no longer available in the 04 EVICs. I retain all the programmability features, get all the warning messages, and get all other functions otherwise available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone has specific questions, I've done this, and would be more than happy to help if I can.

-BP

Ok to make an end of the fit no fit questions:

To have a working ambient temp indication, stick to your model year.

2002-2003= Evic '99-'03

2004-2007= Evic '04-'06(07?) but NOT from a Grand Cherokee...

Last edited by a moderator:

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
links ot EVIC were bad...(forbidden..?)
uploaded it to my server.....

thanks again to Anthony (LibertyKJ) for doing the original write up...

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If we get enough of these type of how-tos, maybe we could put them on the frontpage (jeepkj.com/) and put some news or some mess on there as well.

-Blu

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
the original link with the original post was dead, so i fixed it with a link pointing to my servers....
in any case, 2 links is better than one, just in case one is down for some reason.....

I agree with BP....

i think this place has a very infomative and in-depth how to section...

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that the how-to section here is wonderful....best of any website I have seen \:D/

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installation tip

If you're installing an EVIC from a Grand Cherokee, the light recepticle will probably not fit the Liberty connector.

No Problem. Simply disassemble your old light wiring (from the overhead light you just removed) and swap it onto your new overhead console. (bigear)

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: installation tip

roadrunner said:
If you're installing an EVIC from a Grand Cherokee, the light recepticle will probably not fit the Liberty connector.

No Problem. Simply disassemble your old light wiring (from the overhead light you just removed) and swap it onto your new overhead console. (bigear)

I freaked out whe I got mine, until I figured out that I could disassemble it. Really easy once I figured out how to do it :)

-Blu

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it should. But if you want your temperature sensor to work, you're going to have to get an EVIC from an 04 or 05 Liberty. Having said that I'm not positive if we've had anyone do an 05 yet.

If anyone's done an 05 let us know how it went and I'll update the article

-Blu

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh dam

BluPhant said:
Yes, it should. But if you want your temperature sensor to work, you're going to have to get an EVIC from an 04 or 05 Liberty.-Blu

So one from a older version or different model won't work? I was a little confused when it said you had to buy the temp sensor seperatly. Time to call the junk yards. If anyone sees one on ebay please let me know.

Oh yeah, one other thing, does this void the warrenty?

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pigtails??

how much do pigtails cost if you need to get one for an EVIC?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: pigtails??

squirrellydw said:
So one from a older version or different model won't work? I was a little confused when it said you had to buy the temp sensor seperatly. Time to call the junk yards. If anyone sees one on ebay please let me know.

Oh yeah, one other thing, does this void the warrenty?

An older EVIC/OTIS will work, but the temperature part will not. If you get a EVIC from a 04/05, you may need to get a temp sensor, tho I think they started including them in 04. Check me on that.

squirrellydw said:
how much do pigtails cost if you need to get one for an EVIC?

You dont want to get it from Jeep. It's only available as part of a much more expensive harness. Your best bet is to find one in a junkyard. There are a number of models to choose from, not just liberties. I can't imagine the pigtail being more than $20, and to me that seems ridiculous. But your results may vary.

-Blu

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yup, my pigtail came from an Intrepid.

However, I grossly overpaid them $25, but I was desperate.

No, this does not void the warranty.

pokey72

Reaction score
Hello KJ Country....

Just bought my first KJ last month (traded in my TJ). This mod looks like one I MUST have. Awesome thread explaining the task.

My '05 Rocky Mountain Edition looks as though it has the temp sensor already. For the EVIC I called my local Jeep dealer for a price, they called me back and said "Jeep recommends that I go up one model higher to get this option," How do I do that when I already recieved the Jeep?! ](*,) I'm going to still press for a price from the dealer, just for info purposes. I'll post what I find out for '05 owners.

-Pokey

pokey72

Reaction score
Update for '05

Bad news for '05 Rocky Mountain Ed. owners. On mine Jeep changed the mounting for the lights/sunroof controls from the previous models mentioned on this thread. Dome light assembly is now "clipped" directly to headliner. The plastic mounting frame (behind the headliner) you need to mount an EVIC is no longer included on my Jeep. I can post pics if anyone is interested (once I figure out how:)

I acquired an EVIC from an '03 and the only way to mount this one would be to remove headliner, too painful for me. I'll probably sell this one and wait for an '05 to see if they are different.

Maybe the EVIC was redesigned for '05?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pokey-

The 02-04 models clip in as well. on the KJ there is no plastic backer. You just have to cut a small bit of the headliner away to fit the back part of the evic. The clips for the evic line up with the clips from the light.

If you have a minute, Pull your dome light out and snap a picture of the rear of it, and a pic of where it mounts in the headliner.

I'd bet you're going to be ok with your 03 model, w/o removing headliner.

-Blu

pokey72

Reaction score
Blu,

Thanks for the reply. It'll take me a few days to post the pictures, once I figure out how.

I'm certain I have no way to mount the EVIC I recieved from the '03 in my 05' either the black plastic mounting frame is no longer included and the mounting process has changed or DC only includes the frame now when you order the EVIC.

I'm going to wait to do this until I find out more info on the '05's....

Pokey

scottski

Reaction score
Bad news for sport owners

So I finally get this overhead put in and I get taken to the cleaner from the dealership for the TPMS sensors.

So guess what....because my sport has the steel wheels The sensors dont work....the steel will block the signal...I later found this out on the wjjeep.com website...when they talk about this the spare tire and a steel rim...

So it looks like I may be in the market soon for some rims....

thx1138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goin' the expensive route...

Hi all. I just joined your happy group after lurking for the past month. I just recently bought a 2005 liberty limited which didn't have the EVIC so I tried Ebay and struck out. After exhausting other sources, I decided to buy the parts new. As I'm a DCX employee, I can buy parts and accessories at 25% off. Even so, the parts (module, console assembly, sunroof switch and console retainer) cost 560 bucks ! I didn't get a pigtail unfortunately, (the parts guy thought it would already be in place - no dice) so i built a custom harness and used a 5 volt floppy connector to a computer for those of you familiar with such things. The conector fits fine after a little modification. So I'm almost ready to do the install and the hardest part will most likely be getting the retainer in behind the headliner and trimming it back just right. In case anyone is interested, the retainer part number is : 5072348AA and retails for around 25 dollars. Anyway, I'd like to thank everyone who has posted on this topic and provided info so I could "Git 'r' Done".

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.