How do I Clear Codes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisTheMudMenace

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty sport. 3.7L 4x4 gasoline. I had just replaced my right rear wheel speed sensor. I had 3 lights on when it was inoperative:

ABS
Traction Control
ESP BAS

Also cruise control was not working. I plugged it into a reader and it flagged the right rear wheel speed sensor so I replaced it.

Now how do I get the codes to erase?
I unplugged the battery for 30 minutes but when i hooked it back up they were still on. I also tried clearing them with a reader. Its been 2 days now and all the lights are still on solid.

They never went away, even when i cleared them with the reader, as soon as i turned the car back on they came on instantly. is there a way i can force the system to do a BITE test?

is there another way of clearing the codes?

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can clear the codes by disconnecting the positive battery cable. Once you do that touch the positive battery cable to the negative battery cable with the negative battery cable still hooked to the battery. Also note that doing this will clear the jeeps adaptive memory and you will have effectively done a transmission quick relearn and the transmission will shift better.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can clear the codes by disconnecting the positive battery cable. Once you do that touch the positive battery cable to the negative battery cable with the negative battery cable still hooked to the battery. Also note that doing this will clear the jeeps adaptive memory and you will have effectively done a transmission quick relearn and the transmission will shift better.

Uhm.

DennisTheMudMenace

Reaction score
That sounds like a great way to short my battery.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AS far as I can see, you've done basically all that you can do. If the code is still coming up, it is still present.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a great way to short my battery.

If you remove the positive battery cable, then the battery is no longer energizing anything and therefore can not short. What you are doing here is shorting the vehicle's system for any residual power (charge in capacitors in any electronics) to ensure that all memory has been erased. Some recommend simply turning on the lights, pressing the brakes, etc... basically to drain any remaining power once the battery has been disconnected.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a deeper issue. Sounds like a bad ABS sensor.

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What were the capabilities of the code reader you used? Some only read and clear Engine/Powertrain DTC's... wont see nor touch chassis codes, ABS/traction control or AirBag/SRS systems. That type of code reader will not be able to forcibly remove and reset your fault codes for those other systems.

If you are around the Michigan Tri-City's region, ever, get a hold of me, I have an Innova scanner that does Engine/Airbag/ABS for most domestics including Jeep.

DennisTheMudMenace

Reaction score
Honestly i'm not sure how good the reader is, it was a friend's reader.
Unfortunately I live in Canada :( so driving to Michigan is a bit of a hike lol. I really appreciate that though! Thanks

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Where is Canada?

Actually I thought Michigan was part of Canada. Especially the top of it.
:happy175: